Confirmed with Link: Wings-Avs Rivalry ESPN Special coming next month

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's really hard to gauge considering how weird his career was getting stuck long-term in crowded crease situations while the team was looking to make room for him, or hang onto him until they got the return they wanted. I chronicled this mess in a post in the HOH section: Why did the Red Wings trade Mike Vernon after the 97 Cup Run?

He really only had two season where he had a measure-able work load:

-97/98: Where he finally got the #2 job in Detroit and ended the season with pretty good numbers for an NHL back up goalie

-99/00: Platooning for a dumpster fire Lightning team who's front office seemed to forget that they were no longer working for a Turner Cup contender. He was pretty much the worst goalie in the league that year.

I always thought Hodson was both one of the luckiest and unluckiest NHL players at the same time.

His name appears on the Cup twice and he's got two rings, with one of the seasons being one where he started 4 games and didn't even have to sit on the bench for a playoff game. He also had a pretty good gig in his final season... Having little competition for Tampa's back up job after 2 years of retirement where he eventually got to earn an NHL paycheck to start a game once a month for half a season.

I feel like Hodson could also hold some kind of oddball NHL record. Something like "Least amount of starts for a goalie that spent the majority of at least 5 seasons on an NHL roster" or "most X week long periods without starting or playing an NHL game while on an NHL roster".

Old.
Internal salary cap.
At the time, it was sort of accepted that the Wings lost money unless they made the final 4. If they were going to sign Fedorov, or his replacement, they had to ditch Vernon.
Vernon went to SJ and had another great series against Roy in 1999.

A lot of people don't realize these two goalies had a real history.
In 86, Roy and the Habs beat Vernon and the Flames in the finals.
In 89, Vernon and the Flames beat Roy and the Habs.

That little nugget about Roy stopping to have coffee with Vernon and talking about how Vernon's career turned around with his trade to Detroit was one of the best moments in the doc.

You could see that Roy had a real respect for Vernon.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Watched the first half last night and the rest tonight. They did a great job with it, even getting the trainers and media members from both sides interviewed. Good stuff.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
Any Canadian fans know how we can watch this? I’ve been trying to find a way since it was released, with no luck. I’ve been out of town, so I wasn’t able to watch it on TSN when they aired it.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
Finally got to watch it. Amazing production, and so good to hear from the players. Love that Draper still has that competitive attitude even years after retirement.

I knew the Konstantinov segment was coming, but neither I nor my tear ducts were ready for it.

Reactions: ZDH

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
The hit that Lemieux put on Drapes in today's NHL would probably give him a long suspension of 25-30 games maybe longer and a substantial fine. What he got was a joke of 2 games. To this day Claude has never apologized. It was sure great to watch what also happened behind the scenes and the coaches as well as the players reactions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad