Pre-Game Talk: Wings at Sens - Monday 7:30 pm at the CTC - When Swedes Collide (Part Deux) TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not sure a marginally better FOW% makes JGP a candidate for top line play.

Well, over the course of their short NHL careers Pageau has been 50 % and Lazar has been 47 % which maybe doesn't seem like a big difference but it actually is a good difference. The best faceoffs guys around the league are in the 55%-57% range and very few go above that. Pageau has been at 53 % this season and in those 15 games this season he's already taken more faceoffs than Lazar did in the NHL. Experience in the dot does make a big difference in possesion, not to mention the fact that Pageau is actually better which is the whole point of the discussion. JGP doesn't deserve to play top line but the discussion was between Lazar and Pageau, while Turris is injured, who derserves to play top line more IF you want to keep Zibanejad with Ryan on the 2nd line.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Well, over the course of their short NHL careers Pageau has been 50 % and Lazar has been 47 % which maybe doesn't seem like a big difference but it actually is a good difference. The best faceoffs guys around the league are in the 55%-57% range and very few go above that. Pageau has been at 53 % this season and in those 15 games this season he's already taken more faceoffs than Lazar did in the NHL. Experience in the dot does make a big difference in possesion, not to mention the fact that Pageau is actually better which is the whole point of the discussion. JGP doesn't deserve to play top line but the discussion was between Lazar and Pageau, while Turris is injured, who derserves to play top line more IF you want to keep Zibanejad with Ryan on the 2nd line.

Agree. And JGP has 1 hattie, while Lazar has zippo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I don't think that's technically correct (the best kind of correct).

Lazar has taken 288 faceoffs in the reg season (more if you count his 1 faceoff in the playoffs) and Pageau has taken 279 this year (in 17 games not 15). Now, if you were to change the word taken to won, and 15 to 17, you'd be right. Are you perhaps using only ES faceoffs? Or maybe hockeyreference numbers are wrong and I'm out to lunch.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think that's technically correct (the best kind of correct).

Lazar has taken 288 faceoffs in the reg season (more if you count his 1 faceoff in the playoffs) and Pageau has taken 279 this year (in 17 games not 15). Now, if you were to change the word taken to won, and 15 to 17, you'd be right. Are you perhaps using only ES faceoffs? Or maybe hockeyreference numbers are wrong and I'm out to lunch.

I was generalizing, but yes you are right your numbers are good but I looked very quickly and saw the numbers we're about the same. I also didn't look at the number of games but just estimated. Point still stands though, you get what I'm saying :)

I'll make sure to have the exact numbers next time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he's playing, he is fine. Why would they risk it with their #1 center?

My guess is that the risk of further injury is minimal. Like when players play with a cage to protect a broken jaw that's close to being fully healed but not quite there.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
detroitfloppy.gif

That dive is Habs-worthy.

Seriously, that kind of garbage is what makes the NHL a joke, just like soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad