Post-Game Talk: wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
These posts are the best. " We have a deep rooted problem that I don't know how to solve but should be solved." Come on....

The issue is the organization counted on Laf and Kappo making massive jumps this year and they did not. If they made that leap this team would be far better.
Not the issue. They didn't not sign others to fill the apparent gaps because of their expectations of Laf and KK. It was because they have no cap space.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And a couple of more things :
1) Y'all who say we are below .500 have poor math. That's not how it works. A team that is 6-4-3 is not the same as a team that is 6-7.
2) New Jersey is not going to win the Metro. If they are lucky they may get a wildcard spot.

As pissed as I am, this pisses me off more. People use count OTLs for two reasons, they're pissed at their own team and want to disregard legit points (it's 20% of our points) or they want to mock a rival. But it makes no sense to pretend like 6-4-3 is the same as 6-7 12 =/= 15.

Reactions: hackeyman

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Becasue, when Kreider tries, he's the fstest guy on the ice by a lot and when it is 3 vs 3 with all th eopen ice you want speed and puck posession.
The coach is telling us ck is benched because he isn't doing this w any consistency
Guys if you are going to go after Gallant can you at least use arguments that are not immediately shot down.
you didnt shoot it down. You think you did. If the coach benches him for not doing this, then putting him out in ot, for him to keep not doing it, is stupid.

It also conflicts with the whole "demoting him 5 v 5" part. Which is what the other guy pointed out.

The issue is the organization counted on Laf and Kappo making massive jumps this year and they did not.
That's the only issue? You are way too condescending for some1 who is going to offer a take like this in response...

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I guess, but I honestly don't think we have any horrible contracts. There's nobody we've signed that wasn't getting the same elsewhere.

The cap hasn't caught up to what players are commanding.
The problem is not letting those other teams make those mistakes. Especially bc we were rebuilding, the time wasn't right to commit like 40% of the cap to guys who are already 29 and older for the next 3-6 years.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
These posts are the best. " We have a deep rooted problem that I don't know how to solve but should be solved." Come on....

The issue is the organization counted on Laf and Kappo making massive jumps this year and they did not. If they made that leap this team would be far better.
you can disagree, but dont trivialize that there is a real problem with how this organization develops talent. its indisputable at this team not just some fluke.

Reactions: Circus86

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
this only works if they get a lot of ice time. if they dont, then its even worse than it is now. you trust gallant to give them more ice time ???

I think Gallant is more aware of his situation and shelf life than Quinn ever was. He has to respect his veterans and placate them as best as he can. It's tough to navigate and balance that with other needs. But if Gallant can demote Kreider to the fourth line like yesterday, then we can see glimpses that Gallant is starting to shift that thinking. And he can do it under the guise of "we're trying to win games, given our mediocre start and spot in the standings."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The problem is not letting those other teams make those mistakes. Especially bc we were rebuilding, the time wasn't right to commit like 40% of the cap to guys who are already 29 and older for the next 3-6 years.
If you refuse to participate in free agency, you won't be icing a competitive team.

I know everyone likes to pick on Trouba but could you imagine Schneider getting top 4 minutes?

Reactions: Barnaby

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
you can disagree, but dont trivialize that there is a real problem with how this organization develops talent. its indisputable at this team not just some fluke.
Not trivializing at all but it’s absurd to read posts like “we can’t develop talent and everyone knows it but I don’t know how to fix it.” Why even bother posting that?

1. We all know the talent is not developing the way we hoped
2. We all have been frustrated by repeated struggles with top picks

I just don’t understand the point of posting things when they are 100% acknowledged. No one is disputing any of the main points in the post.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The coach is telling us ck is benched because he isn't doing this w any consistency

you didnt shoot it down. You think you did. If the coach benches him for not doing this, then putting him out in ot, for him to keep not doing it, is stupid.

It also conflicts with the whole "demoting him 5 v 5" part. Which is what the other guy pointed out.

That's the only issue? You are way too condescending for some1 who is going to offer a take like this in response...
So from an asset allocation standpoint, the coach is supposed to place his players in a situation where they offer the team the best chance to win. Not playing the fastest player on the ice( when involved) would be terrible asset allocation and does not put the team in a place to win. Kreider has been horrendous all year but, sadly- he is still the best option in a 3 on 3 situation in which one mistake by a rookie would almost certainly lead to a goal. It’s not hard to understand why Gallant made this decision.

Kreider’s 5 on 5 play has 0 baring on if he should be used in overtime where speed is a number one priority in terms of giving your team an advantage.

I’m condescending because this fan base is laughable. We finally have a coach with a proven track record and people want to run the guy out of town after getting the team to the conference final, having multiple players have career years and put the team back into relevancy. Such an absurd reaction as calling for him to be fired after a slightly underwhelming start does not really deserve much other than stern questioning.

People should be a little grateful- just a little appreciative of how far this team has come under Gallant’s leadership and maybe take a step back before posting “he’s got to go” type posts.

Reactions: trilobyte

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
26d9d57d1d3bb9fe55219bb9e95ecb74
Is that cash cab?

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
I’m condescending because this fan base is laughable. We finally have a coach with a proven track record and people want to run the guy out of town after getting the team to the conference final, having multiple players have career years and put the team back into relevancy. Such an absurd reaction as calling for him to be fired after a slightly underwhelming start does not really deserve much other than stern questioning.

People should be a little grateful- just a little appreciative of how far this team has come under Gallant’s leadership and maybe take a step back before posting “he’s got to go” type posts.

I agree that Gallant has had some success (Vegas SCF, our ECF) as a coach, but he hasn't won anything yet. What is his proven track record? Do good with a team for 1-2 seasons then get fired? He got fired in season 3 by all his former teams because of a reason. The teams went backwards and started playing worse.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
As pissed as I am, this pisses me off more. People use count OTLs for two reasons, they're pissed at their own team and want to disregard legit points (it's 20% of our points) or they want to mock a rival. But it makes no sense to pretend like 6-4-3 is the same as 6-7 12 =/= 15.
Losing is losing. It doesn't matter that they lost in OT or SO. They still lost. They don't get the point for losing, they get the point for tying in regulation. OT and SO is to determine a winner.

The problem is the league didn't eliminate ties like it said it intended. Instead games went from worth 2 points to 3 after regulation. Games should start off being worth 3 points and be worth less in OT and less in SO to avoid teams intentionally trying to get to OT or SO instead of trying to win in regulation.

It's a flaw in the system to look at OTL and SOL and say that they're worth something. The point comes from the tie not the loss. There's no reward for losing.

So if a team is 6-4-3 they still lost 7 games. It doesn't matter that they tied 3 of them before losing. They still lost. They were given a chance to win in OT and SO and lost.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I agree that Gallant has had some success (Vegas SCF, our ECF) as a coach, but he hasn't won anything yet. What is his proven track record? Do good with a team for 1-2 seasons then get fired? He got fired in season 3 by all his former teams because of a reason. The teams went backwards and started playing worse.
I always wondered why but am now seeing why.

A team that gets as close as we did should come back firing in all cylinders. Everyone should buy in. They should look better. All the young players look like they've taken steps forward but somehow all the vets look like they've regressed (except Panarin who had an "off season" for him last year). How is it that all the vets regressed? Gallant decided to single out Kreider last game. Where's Zibanejad? Trouba has been terrible.

Reactions: skipmowerman

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So from an asset allocation standpoint, the coach is supposed to place his players in a situation where they offer the team the best chance to win. Not playing the fastest player on the ice( when involved) would be terrible asset allocation and does not put the team in a place to win. Kreider has been horrendous all year but, sadly- he is still the best option in a 3 on 3 situation in which one mistake by a rookie would almost certainly lead to a goal. It’s not hard to understand why Gallant made this decision.

Kreider’s 5 on 5 play has 0 baring on if he should be used in overtime where speed is a number one priority in terms of giving your team an advantage.

Gallant's "proven track record" is that he gets fired after 2 seasons.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I actually like gallant and I think he'll get this team playing better. It can't really be pointed out enough that the difference between our record as it is and what it could be if Shesterkin was playing to his abilities alone is substantial.

At least this year the onus right now is on the players to step up and there's no comfort in pointing to the record and saying everything's copacetic.
"Shesterkin playing better = better record" is more of an indictment of Gallant that it is a reassurance of his coaching prowess.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
And a couple of more things :
1) Y'all who say we are below .500 have poor math. That's not how it works. A team that is 6-4-3 is not the same as a team that is 6-7.
2) New Jersey is not going to win the Metro. If they are lucky they may get a wildcard spot.
6 wins , 7 losses is a a bad record no matter how you want to split it up.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Gallant's "proven track record" is that he gets fired after 2 seasons.
After getting teams far along and almost always after multiple playoff runs. Let’s tell the full story and not leave out the part that is not supportive of your false narrative.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
right, because we get 3 loser points which help in the stanidings. But it is not the record of a good team.

I'm not saying it's the record of a good team but it's not the same as 6-7. They have one win and three losses in gimmicks which both 3 on 3 and a shootout are, so I'm not going treat those three losses like regulation losses.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
What's worse than the record is the -3 goal differential. We aren't scoring enough. There are a bunch of teams playing much better than they were last year and we have been really unlucky. This is not a bad team, but it's a bad looking stretch, even with the 6 wins.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No matter how badly you want color it 6-4-3 is not the same as 6-7.
Only because the NHL gives out loser points. They might be an above .500 team when it comes to points earned, but they're a below .500 team when it comes to wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad