Post-Game Talk: Windy City Beatdown, Jets win 7-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fabulous Twitter releases by the organization

Nothing but positivity from coach after a game like that - as it should be.

Chicago is in a rough patch so its hard to get a bead on this game but boy do I like how our bottom six forechecked in the first two periods.

The big thing is that we too often lost to bad/struggling teams in the past. Those are the teams you need to make up points on.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's not what I think ... it's up to them.
Do you want to win or do you want money?
Kane and Toews choose money.
You make more money with endorsements by winning just ask Tom Brady or even Crosby. Crosby is a better player and he makes 2 million less than Kane and Toews but how much does he make from endorsements like Tim Hortons and Gatorade.
When was the last time you saw Kane or Toews in a commercial?
I think after 3 cups the vast majority of players make the choice to get paid. Hell most decide on getting paid even with no cups. Careers are short and can end at any time, very few players are willing to leave money on the table. Also few NHL players can maximize off ice revenue like Crosby. Also look up Brady's career earnings. He got paid and then some. The notable exception are some guys near the end of careers that have already maximized earning and are chasing a cup.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Toninato to waivers is a gimme and if Gus is injured(hopefully not) then the other takes his spot on the roster. Don't think they waiver Gagner as he's got some value for his experience and the whole good in the locker room thing. Doubt either Flow or Saku go on waivers either so it will come down to Harkins or Easy Mount and they cleared before, don't know if a team would scoop up either. I do think we could survive with Ehlers back and Appleton waived.
No way Harkins clears waivers. 7pts in 4 AHL games, 3pts in 7gp in the NHL playing next to no ice time.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You don’t think players deserved to be paid after helping a team win 3 cups while you were on team friendly contracts? The Hawks could have let them walk in the heart of their primes and they likely even get bigger paydays coming off their 3rd cup if they were willing to go to the highest bidder.

The bigger issue is that Toews game aged quite poorly. Kane has been full value for his cap hit.

That and the backbone of their team the dcore all aged out. They didn't draft and develop well enough to fill in the gaps.

You are seeing the same thing with the Caps now with Ovie and Co slowing down. Once Crosby joins the rest of us mere mortals the same thing will happen with the Pens. It's what happens when you expend assets to chase cups and your core ages out.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You don’t think players deserved to be paid after helping a team win 3 cups while you were on team friendly contracts? The Hawks could have let them walk in the heart of their primes and they likely even get bigger paydays coming off their 3rd cup if they were willing to go to the highest bidder.
Agree with you but I don’t feel sorry for them one bit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think after 3 cups the vast majority of players make the choice to get paid. Hell most decide on getting paid even with no cups. Careers are short and can end at any time, very few players are willing to leave money on the table. Also few NHL players can maximize off ice revenue like Crosby. Also look up Brady's career earnings. He got paid and then some. The notable exception are some guys near the end of careers that have already maximized earning and are chasing a cup.
Also can't use Crosby as a comparison as his contract was signed prior to league implementing term limits on contracts. He signed for 12 years which allowed them to put in some low earning years at the back to pull the overall hit down. If you take the actual cash paid to him over the first 8 years of his deal ot equals to a cap hit of 10.8 million per. The Hawks did the same thing with Keith who had a real long back diving deal that pulled the total hit down.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
You make more money with endorsements by winning just ask Tom Brady or even Crosby. Crosby is a better player and he makes 2 million less than Kane and Toews but how much does he make from endorsements like Tim Hortons and Gatorade.
I would guess most players want to win and want to make lots of money......why do you make it an either or situation?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with you but I don’t feel sorry for them one bit.
Me neither. I don't think I've ever felt sorry for a professional athlete. Even if your career never took off, or went sideways, you have likely made more money in that short window than 99% of people will make in their whole lives grinding out a 30-40 year career.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
No way Harkins clears waivers. 7pts in 4 AHL games, 3pts in 7gp in the NHL playing next to no ice time.

I'm not sure if that's enough to tempt someone into snagging him off the wires but I don't see them sending down a productive, versatile player over, say, Toninato.

Axel F stays also, IMO. The hair apparent to Branden "Tornado" Tanev. Has put up the odd point, very effective on an improving PK and has the SkatingReallyFastHittingEverythingShootingFromEverywhereLookingBusy thing that coaches love.

Also -- that raging mullet. Ya can't risk that godly flow getting clippered off on waivers.

Is it time for the Big Sak to drop?

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't think you can compare Sids and the Chicago contracts all that much tho.

Sid signed when you could do contracts could do over 8 years so that total contact value could get spread over 12 years or whatever it was.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure if that's enough to tempt someone into snagging him off the wires but I don't see them sending down a productive, versatile player over, say, Toninato.

Axel F stays also, IMO. The hair apparent to Branden "Tornado" Tanev. Has put up the odd point, very effective on an improving PK and has the SkatingReallyFastHittingEverythingShootingFromEverywhereLookingBusy thing that coaches love.

Also -- that raging mullet. Ya can't risk that godly flow getting clippered off on waivers.

Is it time for the Big Sak to drop?

Right after his 2 goal night?

This is one of those good problems to have.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Reactions: macmaroon

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Nate McKinnon was in that ad too and didn't have a cup yet. Sid has been a star in Canada since he was 15, he coulda been there without the ring and nobody would have batted an eyelash. Connor McDavid and Austin Matthews do ads, too.
Also, Kane and Toews are on like 3 different ads for every Hawks game, probably not for free.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Same, which is why I think it will be interesting to see what happens. The Jets have several players that are in that same mould: Appleton, AJF, Essymont, and Maenalanen. Someone will have to give when Apples and Ehlers gets back.
I'm a broken record, but I'd still love to see some press box rotation when everyone's healthy. Especially when the schedule gets busy.

Glad to see we have depth!

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm a broken record, but I'd still love to see some press box rotation when everyone's healthy. Especially when the schedule gets busy.

It's also the coach's weapon to fire a player up. Toninato sits for awhile gets back on the scoreboard. By the morning skate yesterday it was looking like Maenalanen was going to sit out last night's game, instead gets 2 goals. When Gagner comes back in to the lineup I'd expect a contribution from him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Bones has been doing a press box rotation of sorts. Last game Gagner was the healthy scratch. Even Capo has got a few games. Assuming a 23 man roster 3 players are in the PB every night and we haven’t really seen anyone permanently parked there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad