Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
What they can do is bring up JrB players for up to 9 games to fill in for injuries and such. They can spread that around to give a few kids a good look for next year. They did that with Woodall and Davis last year.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A Cards - 30 *Stewart has to go on a B card*
Christopoulos
Toure
Zito
Donoso
Mancini
Peer
Maillet
Jodoin
Dionicio
Struthers
Castle
Smith
Toms
Abraham
Morneau
Michelone
Outwater
Zhugin
Greenwell - could potentially move to a B card if he gets enough games at a lower level
Winegard
Martin
Costanzo
Eichler
Greentree
Christoforo
Spellacy
Walton
Woodall
Davis
Nesbitt

Stewart - B but needs to get his games in at a lower level
Hjelholt - B
Froggett - B
Manzo - B
Lavigne - B

I'm pretty sure this is correct after updating - thanks HL

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A Cards - 29
Zito
Donoso
Mancini
Peer
Maillet
Jodoin
Dionicio
Struthers
Castle
Smith
Toms
Abraham
Morneau
Michelone
Outwater
Zhugin
Greenwell
Winegard
Martin
Stewart
Costanzo
Eichler
Greentree
Christoforo
Spellacy
Walton
Woodall
Davis
Nesbitt

Hjelholt - B
Froggett - B
Manzo - B
Lavigne - B

I'm pretty sure this is correct.
You forgot Toure and Christopoulis, plus Stewart has only played in 9 and Greenwell 12 though some would not have counted start of season and world juniors times.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This has to be a first, a team flipping all 3 OA spots at the deadline.
I find it interesting and I know they moved them because they did have value. Bringing in 3 new OAs is fine and I get it. I don't think it's ironic that all 3 OAs are gone and the team has been quite poor this year. I am sure with those OAs elsewhere if they're insulated better than they were here can be productive. We shouldn't gloss over the fact that they were also part of the reasons the team was terrible early in the year (sans Christopolous).

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Greenwell has not played any games at a lower level this year. He is on an A card unless and until he gets his 10 games in at a lower level.
Except Stewart falls in same category has played 1 game in LA Salle.
If what you say is true 31 cards have been used or about to be,speaking of Toure,Zito, and Donoso.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
IMHO we are almost done . (However)…
We may have placed some players on waivers to give them a chance to play in the CHL elsewhere ..should know by 12:PM tomorrow.
We can still trade players for picks or for players rights but not for ‘player to be named later or future considerations.
We probably can trade draft picks fo draft picks.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Except Stewart falls in same category has played 1 game in LA Salle.
If what you say is true 31 cards have been used or about to be,speaking of Toure,Zito, and Donoso.
I agree. Bowler is flirting with danger. I don't know if there are any kind of sanctions for going over your A card limit. He really should have gotten these guys some B games already. Cutting it close before roster freeze next month and final card counting happens!

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
IMHO we are almost done . (However)…
We may have placed some players on waivers to give them a chance to play in the CHL elsewhere ..should know by 12:PM tomorrow.
We can still trade players for picks or for players rights but not for ‘player to be named later or future considerations.
We probably can trade draft picks fo draft picks.
I don't see anyone hitting the waiver wire. The roster is at 23 players. 14 forwards, 7 D and 2 G. This is a good number to have. I believe Outwater and Martin are currently injured. If true, the Spits will have 2 injured and 1 healthy scratch on Wednesday.

Reactions: punch1943

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I agree. Bowler is flirting with danger. I don't know if there are any kind of sanctions for going over your A card limit. He really should have gotten these guys some B games already. Cutting it close before roster freeze next month and final card counting happens!
I think we know the basics of cards but there are probably loopholes that we aren't privy to. If he did go over then that's malfeasance but we won't know until that time

Reactions: Cherrydon

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Or that he wanted to give the kid a chance to play and that was all other team would offer up.
We sent O Flaherty, Ride and Picks for Dionicio and Castle.

Considering O Flaherty was traded and then released, and Castles a year older… the fact we got anything for him was kind of shocking to me.

I’m sure saginaws mentality was: he has some experience and can play 4th line minutes and We have 3rd liners than can slide up a line if someone big goes down.
Our futures screwed either way until we move Misa/Parekh, no one will notice this 11th gone since we don’t have anything in the 2nd thru 5th lol

Reactions: OHLTG

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The roster rules are Hockey Canada Rules. They don't set the trade deadlines but they do set the date all junior rosters need to be set. Normally Jan 10th for all leagues under their control. I realize that CHL players have player contracts regarding education packages etc. I have not seen anywhere that because you were carded as a A player the previous season, you are automatically a A card in the following season because you played a game. There is a reason Christo only played 9 games and was dealt and Jodoin played 8 games and released. I now do think Donosio uses a A card because he was carded as a A when acquired, even though through waivers. The Hockey Canada rule book is like 200 plus pages and gets particular because players under 15, players under 18 and plyers 20and younger all have different rules technically. Subsequently. I think Zito wasn't carded by North Bay so he is free for 10 games. Consider Zito uses up a card. That leaves 1 card open imo, as I still do not believe Christo nor Jodoin used up a card technically.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
Saginaw should have used that pick on Morneau instead, I'd rather have him than Castle.
what was the deal with castle here? did he have a undisclosed injury or have a fallen out with staff? for someone who hasn't played that much, he now being rewarded with a memorial cup chance, so I guess good for him?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Saginaw should have used that pick on Morneau instead, I'd rather have him than Castle.
what was the deal with castle here? did he have a undisclosed injury or have a fallen out with staff? for someone who hasn't played that much, he now being rewarded with a memorial cup chance, so I guess good for him?
Publicly Noone really knows why the falling out with Castle. Castle can play better than Morneau although Morneau,so called defensive forward his stats say otherwise. Morneau played 15 more games 3 more points but is -19 compared to Castle-10 with all but 2 games in the dark period. Castle effort game to game has Bern in question.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The roster rules are Hockey Canada Rules. They don't set the trade deadlines but they do set the date all junior rosters need to be set. Normally Jan 10th for all leagues under their control. I realize that CHL players have player contracts regarding education packages etc. I have not seen anywhere that because you were carded as a A player the previous season, you are automatically a A card in the following season because you played a game. There is a reason Christo only played 9 games and was dealt and Jodoin played 8 games and released. I now do think Donosio uses a A card because he was carded as a A when acquired, even though through waivers. The Hockey Canada rule book is like 200 plus pages and gets particular because players under 15, players under 18 and plyers 20and younger all have different rules technically. Subsequently. I think Zito wasn't carded by North Bay so he is free for 10 games. Consider Zito uses up a card. That leaves 1 card open imo, as I still do not believe Christo nor Jodoin used up a card technically.
This does not jive with my understanding. Every player HAS to be on an "A card" with their primary team. Affiliate rules allow you to call a player a certain numbers of times, we refer to that as a B card for the OHL. But who would Christopoulos Jodoin Zito be on A cards with? (Answer is their OHL teams)

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I have no idea what the issue was in Windsor. As far as Saginaw, Castle was a 1st round choice in 2020 (Morneau was 15th round). Teams acquire a player like Castle thinking they can get him to play up to the potential he has when he was drafted. Sometimes it works, though, from what I see, usually not. Castle was drafted by Oshawa, traded to Niagara, and traded to Windsor. He hasn't found it with 3 different teams.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Well according to your philosophy, the Spits would already be over 30 for the season. It is one way or the other. Find me where it says if you were on a A card last year so you are automatically on one this year even if only 1 game played? You think North Bay burned a card on Zito for sitting all year? 50 player protected list. Yes.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Staios had the family situation?

I think it'd be an interesting tilt.
Zito issues were with " Savard " and other family input towards direction. I'd say leave it at that. Takes some gonads to come back to a team who traded you away. He knows the fans weren't the issue.

Reactions: Teflon and oldPeng
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille