Windsor Spitfires 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Find it interesting that a team that went to the OHL finals, went to game 7 and the only team to beat Hamilton in the OHL playoffs ( 3 games) has no good players worthy of being drafted or camp invites?? Yet teams that the Spits beat in the playoffs have players that were both drafted and invited to camps. They have better players? Something does not add up for me?????

Reactions: Section 103

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Find it interesting that a team that went to the OHL finals, went to game 7 and the only team to beat Hamilton in the OHL playoffs ( 3 games) has no good players worthy of being drafted or camp invites?? Yet teams that the Spits beat in the playoffs have players that were both drafted and invited to camps. They have better players? Something does not add up for me?????

To be fair, we have a handful of NHL picks already. I haven't seen every development camp roster, either. You could still see names head out.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Well the Spits and Bulldogs were the oldest OHL teams this year. Cuylle/Johnston/Zito were all drafted and Maggio was drafted as well. I just don't know what players should have been drafted or invited to camps this year. We have discussed Abraham. DeAngelis was ok this year but certainly not to the level of being NHL drafted. Peer wasn't going to get drafted and he got an invite.

When you have 2 players in the league at superstar levels leading the team thar can explain their overall success. Sometimes you need to stand alone on your skill and production to be noticed. I would hope the Spits have a larger draft contingent in 2023. Miedema/Ride/OFlaherty/Abraham/DeAngelis/
Hebec etc.. If we are talking a year from now that only 1 or 2 guys got drafted we might need to have a talk about the longterm view.

Reactions: Section 103

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well the Spits and Bulldogs were the oldest OHL teams this year. Cuylle/Johnston/Zito were all drafted and Maggio was drafted as well. I just don't know what players should have been drafted or invited to camps this year. We have discussed Abraham. DeAngelis was ok this year but certainly not to the level of being NHL drafted. Peer wasn't going to get drafted and he got an invite.

When you have 2 players in the league at superstar levels leading the team thar can explain their overall success. Sometimes you need to stand alone on your skill and production to be noticed. I would hope the Spits have a larger draft contingent in 2023. Miedema/Ride/OFlaherty/Abraham/DeAngelis/
Hebec etc.. If we are talking a year from now that only 1 or 2 guys got drafted we might need to have a talk about the longterm view.
Maillet, Renwick, Abraham, DeAngelis and Christopoulos all were big contributors to the team success. You would think at least a couple of them should have warranted an invite?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
This could be discussed a ton of different ways. As mentioned you had a few contributors already drafted. Youve got a team that played very well together but not overly loaded with talent. I know many of you think every kids a star but it just isnt so. The numbers drafted from jr hockey are very low in comparison to how many play. The game is rapidly changing, the CHL is frankly behind at this point. Theres guys with attitude issues that many never hear about, theres size questions and competition level. Windsors D doesnt produce many nhl caliber players of late. NHL teams do serious homework in todays game, they know every good and bad point of any player they are looking at. The casual fan here truly has little idea of what these guys are all about. I love the gritty hard nosed hockey player but there's very few that get the call in todays game and it pains me to see that but id take 6-8 of them on any jr team of mine. Hockey is evolving very quickly right now its going to take some time to sort out what style player fits best.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
This could be discussed a ton of different ways. As mentioned you had a few contributors already drafted. Youve got a team that played very well together but not overly loaded with talent. I know many of you think every kids a star but it just isnt so. The numbers drafted from jr hockey are very low in comparison to how many play. The game is rapidly changing, the CHL is frankly behind at this point. Theres guys with attitude issues that many never hear about, theres size questions and competition level. Windsors D doesnt produce many nhl caliber players of late. NHL teams do serious homework in todays game, they know every good and bad point of any player they are looking at. The casual fan here truly has little idea of what these guys are all about. I love the gritty hard nosed hockey player but there's very few that get the call in todays game and it pains me to see that but id take 6-8 of them on any jr team of mine. Hockey is evolving very quickly right now its going to take some time to sort out what style player fits best.
Na, not a "casual fan". This is something that I have never brought up before. The Spits don't always have the deeper roster like they did this year so it seems odd this year.
We all know most of these camp invites are so the NHL teams have enough players there for their prospects to scrimmage against. Not many players get signed out of these Mini camps. The deep root of this comes from who the Spits GM has as NHL connections. There is a direct line that can be drawn from that. McSorley from London got a camp invite. Why is that you might ask? He certainly has no better skills than the players I listed. It is just something that has a bad smell this year and not sure why.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Didnt necessarily mean you as casual. One of the knocks on BB is he doesnt have contacts and it hurts the team in more than just camp invites. Camp invites are mostly favors and real reaches, you also only hear about those that accept those invites, others see it for what it is and pass. Believe it or not mcsorely could make a weak echl team just because of his goon factor lol. Many many factors dictate players at early camps. Id have to look at the complete list AND know who passed before concluding something stinks. Politics still play a roll at those camps.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Didnt necessarily mean you as casual. One of the knocks on BB is he doesnt have contacts and it hurts the team in more than just camp invites. Camp invites are mostly favors and real reaches, you also only hear about those that accept those invites, others see it for what it is and pass. Believe it or not mcsorely could make a weak echl team just because of his goon factor lol. Many many factors dictate players at early camps. Id have to look at the complete list AND know who passed before concluding something stinks. Politics still play a roll at those camps.
I would agree with a lot of this. Obviously owners/gm's/coaches that have been around much longer and have better contacts may get certain organizations to do them a solid. BB did a good job this year but we are still 18-24 months away from knowing whether he can make his vision come to reality.

Section 103

May 25, 2016

I believe that you may have forgotten about Sobelev. Is he not a Montreal Draft Pick. I may be mistaken, but I thought he was already drafted.

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just an FYI - plenty of emergency crews are on the scene at Windsor Arena right now. I cannot confirm but it sounds like it's electrical and inside the building.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Smoke from roof, reporter on scene said there were some holes visible in the roof possiblyfrom firefighters. Hopefully nothing chronic.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Smoke from roof, reporter on scene said there were some holes visible in the roof possiblyfrom firefighters. Hopefully nothing chronic.

Yep, the firefighters went onto the roof after I left. When I was there, some firefighters were inside working while others were outside evaluating things.

On another note: Savard is returning for 2022-23.

Reactions: ohloutsider

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The good news with Savard returning is the Spits will probably try and make a big run. I can't see Savard willingly returning to a team that is looking at another direction.

Reactions: Cherrydon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad