Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I like this better when the 4 new pages were "Do we need to upgrade the third line?" or "is Wright worth it??" Maybe we can actually get into hockey talk by Thursday instead of... whatever this is.
I tried with posting about the OA position and using it on back up goaltender but that went nowhere lol

Reactions: OHLTG and rve24

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I like this better when the 4 new pages were "Do we need to upgrade the third line?" or "is Wright worth it??" Maybe we can actually get into hockey talk by Thursday instead of... whatever this is.
Agreed,I am trying to get back on topic

• Haha
Reactions: rve24

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Awesome.
I posted here I think Spits added huge at the deadline in spite of what so many thought would happen and managements public messaging over the last year plus.
And said here it was something as a fan of aggressive GMs n management in any sport I like. (not just aggressive in an all in sell the farm at a deadline way but in all aspects of management)
Wright....very good price considering where the market n high prices were for others. Not sure if no one else was left to buy or didn't want him at even the great price the Spits paid but as a Spits fan the price was very good.
Definitely the favourites in the West now. I can't see any in the reg season taking 1st OA from them.
POs, too far away to comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Awesome.
I posted I think Spits added huge at the deadline in spite of what so many thought would happen and managements public messaging over the last year plus.
And said here it was something as a fan of aggressive GMs n management in any sport I like. (not just aggressive in an all in sell the farm at a deadline way but in all aspects of management)
Wright....very good price considering where the market n high prices were for others. Not sure if no one else was left to buy or didn't want him at even the great price the Spits paid but as a Spits fan the price was very good.
Definitely the favourites in the West now. I can't see any in the reg season taking 1st OA from them.
POs, too far away to comment.

I knew the Spits would add at the deadline but I don't think Wright really came into the picture until the last little while. It sounds like he had some control over where he'd end up and he loves it here. Not just the talent but the staff/management and, from all I've seen, there's a genuine connection. I won't guess as to how the price worked versus his desires... meaning, did he choose Windsor and then they offered or how did that all play out... but Bowler offering up the rights to a USHL defenceman was Rychel-esque. I think people would have been legit upset (myself included) if he moved Cristoforo.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
If the USHL player that didn't commit to Windsor ends up signing its good value for Kingston. If not, they got burnt. JMO. But ya gotta take what's offered. No one went bigger than Spits when Kingston sat on him too long. JMO.
My understanding was Wright n handlers were comffy with a few teams. Windsor made the best deal offered. Others walked away or went elsewhere. Just what I heard (not media)
I had no doubt he would get along with teammates in Win, Lon, Ott, Bar, Pet.... wherever. He woulda fit in regardless of where he landed. (as long as he left Kingston lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Or drove the price up on Windsor? To ignore there is always 2 sides to a scenario and the truth in the middle is naive.
My understanding ( for what its worth ) is LK were serious about 1 of the 2 players you mentioned but only to a certain point.
They lost or they walked away......read it as you like. Whatever makes ya feel better. If I were a Spits fan Id say BB identified who he wanted n made it happen. As a LK fan I'd say MH wasn't interested in going all in. ( hard to criticize MH for that when BB did the same last year;) and it may have cost a Memorial Cup birth.....1 addition might meant a game 7 win, we will never know ) BB changed course from continuos competitiveness to going all in. It could very well pay off forr the organization.this year unlike last. These choices gotta be tough on GMs. He didn't pull the trigger last year but did this year. ( MH didn't pull the trigger last year but very well may next year)

The 2nd player was never more than media hype as the ask was non negotiable either because the player said no previous to the deadline he would move or the player wasn't offered to start ( I believe I know what happened of those 2 but added both cause the were widely spread. From what I heard is the player was never offered for SW. Who knows)
What we do know is the players Windsor involved in the deals at deadline had no issue saying yes I'll leave town for another opportunity ;) And 1 or 2 had a choice thru their contracts. Always 2 sides to a story.

Anything wrong with just being happy the Spits acquired 2 top offensive players at the deadline? And 2 D to fill holes? The went all in. Something Sarnia n KTown did also. Sag/OS/LK didn't. Enjoy the ride.
BB was,aggressive n good on the Spits org. It was a choice all teams made, not a win or lose.
If Meidema, one second, one third, two fourths and a sixth was “driving the price up”, they should’ve done a better job.

While I do think Meidema’s play improved as the season went on, if you told me in the off-season he had been moved for the fog cannons under the scoreboard I would’ve been content.

I’m glad we’re all in. And I’m glad the price we paid for it. Good chunk of players should be returning as well, with an option to either keep pushing or recoup picks. Both are good.

I don’t think London is the desirable location it once was, but who would say no to going there? I feel we just went through a little stretch where Windsor wasn’t the destination it once was either, and now the tide is shifting back.

I knew the Spits would add at the deadline but I don't think Wright really came into the picture until the last little while. It sounds like he had some control over where he'd end up and he loves it here. Not just the talent but the staff/management and, from all I've seen, there's a genuine connection. I won't guess as to how the price worked versus his desires... meaning, did he choose Windsor and then they offered or how did that all play out... but Bowler offering up the rights to a USHL defenceman was Rychel-esque. I think people would have been legit upset (myself included) if he moved Cristoforo.
I can’t believe he pulled Wright without moving Christoforo to be honest. I’m think that Currie deal early was just to start talking with Kingston. BB played the long game…

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If Meidema, one second, one third, two fourths and a sixth was “driving the price up”, they should’ve done a better job.

While I do think Meidema’s play improved as the season went on, if you told me in the off-season he had been moved for the fog cannons under the scoreboard I would’ve been content.

I’m glad we’re all in. And I’m glad the price we paid for it. Good chunk of players should be returning as well, with an option to either keep pushing or recoup picks. Both are good.

I don’t think London is the desirable location it once was, but who would say no to going there? I feel we just went through a little stretch where Windsor wasn’t the destination it once was either, and now the tide is shifting back.

I can’t believe he pulled Wright without moving Christoforo to be honest. I’m think that Currie deal early was just to start talking with Kingston. BB played the long game…
I agree Bowler did a nice job at the trade deadline, and before. The only move I did not care for was moving out Ride. Spits got a nice return but you were starting to see the potential in Ride. Icedogs will have a good one. You understand you have to pay to play so hopefully this will be worth it.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad