Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Why wouldn't it?

Would you give up a 16-yr old D-man who's already showing signs of being that #1 d-man you've needed for a long time... for a forward who's going to be one-and-done? If it was young D for vet D or young F for vet F, like Miedema/Wright, I consider it. Not Cristoforo, though. How does that benefit the Spitfires?

Reactions: Section 103

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Would you give up a 16-yr old D-man who's already showing signs of being that #1 d-man you've needed for a long time... for a forward who's going to be one-and-done? If it was young D for vet D or young F for vet F, like Miedema/Wright, I consider it. Not Cristoforo, though. How does that benefit the Spitfires?

You said championships mattered. Is your narrative changing now?? If your goal is to win a championship then absolutely you deal him.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You said championships mattered. Is your narrative changing now?? If your goal is to win a championship then absolutely you deal him.

Nothing to do with narratives but what's best for this franchise. They finally get a young D that could become a #1 guy with all the tools they had hoped for since Ellis... and we talk about dealing him for a rental F? No way.

That said, if you told me Wright for Miedema ++, I'd listen.

Reactions: Section 103

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I have heard here numerous times Miedema is awful. Now he can be a piece in a Shane Wright deal... I have heard it all now.
Ah yes - because a 4th overall pick a little over a year ago that hasn’t been very good in a Spitfires uniform is not worth anything league wide.

Those two things aren’t mutually exclussive - he could still be bad but hold some trade value. C’mon Razor, you’re better than this Lmao

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ah yes - because a 4th overall pick a little over a year ago that hasn’t been very good in a Spitfires uniform is not worth anything league wide.

Those two things aren’t mutually exclussive - he could still be bad but hold some trade value. C’mon Razor, you’re better than this Lmao
My point is merely. What is it? Is Miedema an underachiever? If so why would Kingston be interested in him involving Wright? 13 of their players are 18 or older and that's not including Wright. That sounds like a team that should want to win now. They need goal scoring preventing goals isn't an issue. Kingston isn't going to want him if they think he's bad though.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I think Cristoforo would be needed if you want to win a championship. He's that good already. If the Spits are buyers, they do need to add a proven scorer and a steady d man, no doubt.
A couple great d man.

Nice2CU

Oct 31, 2021
My point is merely. What is it? Is Miedema an underachiever? If so why would Kingston be interested in him involving Wright? 13 of their players are 18 or older and that's not including Wright. That sounds like a team that should want to win now. They need goal scoring preventing goals isn't an issue. Kingston isn't going to want him if they think he's bad though.
GermanSpitfire likes to focus primarily on the negatives on this board and tout Wyatt Johnston sticking with Dallas as a recent positive that he sees.

I personally see things quite differently than him on most fronts. Windsor is currently 2nd in the entire OHL in the standings and is seeing production from all 4 lines resulting in them being the top offensive team in the league.
That's good right?

Miedema had a good rookie season with 38 points and seems to be fitting in production wise with his counterparts. Here's the top 10 picks from last year, mind you 2 are Dmen:

Musty - 10 pts
Ritchie - 12 pts
Allen - 5 pts
Miedema - 9 pts
Soto - 8 pts
Lardis - 11 pts
Bertucci - 4 pts
Barlow - 14 pts
Misa - 5 pts
Terrance - 9 pts

Why isn't anyone giving praise to Abraham 18 pts & Maggio 17 pts who have had excellent starts?

Reactions: oldPeng

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
GermanSpitfire likes to focus primarily on the negatives on this board and tout Wyatt Johnston sticking with Dallas as a recent positive that he sees.

I personally see things quite differently than him on most fronts. Windsor is currently 2nd in the entire OHL in the standings and is seeing production from all 4 lines resulting in them being the top offensive team in the league.
That's good right?

Miedema had a good rookie season with 38 points and seems to be fitting in production wise with his counterparts. Here's the top 10 picks from last year, mind you 2 are Dmen:

Musty - 10 pts
Ritchie - 12 pts
Allen - 5 pts
Miedema - 9 pts
Soto - 8 pts
Lardis - 11 pts
Bertucci - 4 pts
Barlow - 14 pts
Misa - 5 pts
Terrance - 9 pts

Why isn't anyone giving praise to Abraham 18 pts & Maggio 17 pts who have had excellent starts?
Why are we so worried about who has what points? It’s way to early to get our panties in a knot. Once we are approaching the Christmas break we should be able to determine which direction the team should take. So far so good…

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
kingston would run to get meidima, they were trying to tell him not to report to windsor in his draft year. hed be at the top of their list im sure

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

That's good right?

Musty - 10 pts
Ritchie - 12 pts
Allen - 5 pts
Miedema - 9 pts
Soto - 8 pts
Lardis - 11 pts
Bertucci - 4 pts
Barlow - 14 pts
Misa - 5 pts
Terrance - 9 pts

I like to focus on the negatives? WHAT?

I’d like to think I’m one of the more impartial on the board, not overly positive - not overtly negative.
I am equally as able at giving praise as I am at calling out when something Is the matter with the team - show me where I am overtly negative with the team aside from Miedema where my opinion on him and his play has been well documented on the board - both the good and the badz

Me “Touting” Johnston not returning has been a LONG time coming - I’ve been saying it since last season that he will likley not be returning to juniors.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
kingston would run to get meidima, they were trying to tell him not to report to windsor in his draft year. hed be at the top of their list im sure
Oh I don't doubt it. I just want it to make sense though. If we were to read the opinions here on Miedema then said team shouldn't have interest in him. I just remember discussions saying if Johnston was back and the team struggled automatically the answer was "teams top 16 year old 1st round pick." Now if the Spits wanted to make a run for it "you can't trade your top 16 year old" Just stating that I want this theory to make sense. I just find it surprising because what you usually find is fans overrate their own players. In the case of Miedema definitely not. Probably in the case of Cristoforo since people are throwing around Ryan Ellis comps.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Oh I don't doubt it. I just want it to make sense though. If we were to read the opinions here on Miedema then said team shouldn't have interest in him. I just remember discussions saying if Johnston was back and the team struggled automatically the answer was "teams top 16 year old 1st round pick." Now if the Spits wanted to make a run for it "you can't trade your top 16 year old" Just stating that I want this theory to make sense. I just find it surprising because what you usually find is fans overrate their own players. In the case of Miedema definitely not. Probably in the case of Cristoforo since people are throwing around Ryan Ellis comps.
what is said on here has no baring on what ohl teams think, not sure why that would be a connection

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If trading for Wright right now, the team can‘t trade Cristoforo anyway. That’s why I brought up the discussion, because the Spits are one of a few contenders with the nessasary expendable “high end” assets to make a move for Wright. At the end of the day, the Spitfires are poised to buy this year if their record indicates anything - I don’t think discussions about the team buying are far fetched.

I believe I brought up the Victor Mete comparison at some point for Cristoforo and I will stand by it to this day - smallish offensive defender with good vision, good defensive stick, not very physical and a shot that needs work.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good day Spits fans. Just wondering on TJ is looking with his new team? Was a victim of numbers and emerging younger players here in Ottawa but I always liked him. I still believe he was hurt a lot by the missed year of development.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good day Spits fans. Just wondering on TJ is looking with his new team? Was a victim of numbers and emerging younger players here in Ottawa but I always liked him. I still believe he was hurt a lot by the missed year of development.
Fitting in nicely playing with Maggio and Maillet.
He has 2G,2A in 6 games,started a little slow now has 3 points in his last 3 games.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
I'm not sure we would trade for Wright if he were available. It's not the way Bowler operates. We're going to deal some mid round picks and shuffle a couple of lesser players around and end up a better squad that's probably about 1 win short.

Reactions: windsor7 and Teflon

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Im all for going for it but im not trading cristo. Gotta still be smart when building. Thats careless.
Someone is going to be willing to trade their first rounder (like Hamilton did last year), and when that happens will you be able to keep up with them? Nobody on here wanted to deal Miedema last year either. Not saying Cristo is on Miedemas trajectory, but you have to give something to get something...

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Someone is going to be willing to trade their first rounder (like Hamilton did last year), and when that happens will you be able to keep up with them? Nobody on here wanted to deal Miedema last year either. Not saying Cristo is on Miedemas trajectory, but you have to give something to get something...

If you dangle Miedema + a handful of picks, that's a heckuva value.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Exactly. Hamilton moved Pharand to get it done he's doing fine in Sudbury but I doubt Hamilton is shedding any tears. In 2018 it took moving McMichael/McCourt/Webb/Fergus and picks but they won the OHL that year. You can turn it over real quickly as you see with Hamilton. Hamilton also does an outstanding job of drafting/developing.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
And a first rounder who is charting to be ok im fine with. Cristo is trending WAY up. Could change but im not convinced the other guy is worthy. Move Meidema and picks? Even a mid level guy yes. But D is a weakness. Moving cristo means you need 2 D as well as your stud O guy. Teams not that well off.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Exactly. Hamilton moved Pharand to get it done he's doing fine in Sudbury but I doubt Hamilton is shedding any tears. In 2018 it took moving McMichael/McCourt/Webb/Fergus and picks but they won the OHL that year. You can turn it over real quickly as you see with Hamilton. Hamilton also does an outstanding job of drafting/developing.
There is no doubt you need to give something of value to get a player of quality, it's pretty much standard practice that a top NHL prospect returning to the OHL would likely require that year's first round pick going back the other way in january if he's traded. If not, some combination of second round picks and good 17 year olds is the price. That would mean Christoforo or Miedema along with picks for whatever top player we're going after. I could be persuaded to include Meidema, but I would be reluctant to throw in Christoforo because I feel he's going to be a significant player for us down the line. Having said that, if the target is Wright I don't include either one and take a hard pass on trading for him. There's better things to spend our assets on than a guy who is going to have more chips on his shoulder than Humpty Dumpty after getting sent back to the OHL. He's fools gold, and certainly not this years version of Mason McTavish. Who are the other options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad