Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
I wouldn't look at it this way yet
Perhaps Wellwood has asked for time to business affairs in order,negotiations on going for who is staying ie Perry Wilson, Goalie Coach,,does Jarrod Smith stay on as assistant coach or not,Defense coach,does Wellwood if bring his D coach from Flint with him Mark Rideout,former Spit,does team want to introduce them all at once rather then stagger,btw according to my sources training camp invites have been sent out.

Perhaps, but I don't think it takes this long for things to be arranged!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm looking at it this way - if they announced it quick and said it was Smith, we'd all be thinking "what?? Why??" There are roughly four weeks until players report for camp (Sept 4 is date I heard). I'm sure something will happen between now and then; the staff will need time to figure things out.

member 71782

Wellwood or Smith, they would both need to fill out their staff. I would guess decide on the coach first, then who stays or not, then the remaining staff.

We know this organization is shy in terms of facing the public.

Like I said last week, sometime in the coming week would make sense. They seem to make announcements between Tuesdays and Thursdays whenever possible so mid week this week would make sense. Leaves a few weeks to get ready for camp, especially if invites have been sent. I'm sure there could be a few waiting on who the new coach could be so they won't want to delay beyond this week.

Only a guess on my part but time line fits to show due diligence after the sudden departure of Letowski to the next level.

member 71782

If anyone thinks coaches don't matter maybe they haven't seen what coaches, HC and assistants along with GMs have to deal with.

A kid can have all the talent and potential in the world but if someone can't harness it, find the best way to get kids to deal with any developmental needs as well as gain their trust and understanding in why and how they'll be utilized in certain ways at certain times as well as the coaches understanding proper development and utilization the the best kids can easily become a problem.

It's easy for a fan to say it's simply letting the best kids play yet so many of the best kids never get beyond this level with many becoming busts at this level.

Take a roster of 23 kids, all hoping to go beyond while dealing with the same teenage angst we've all been through while trying to develop a specific culture that creates a winning environment while hoping you as a coach can also get to the next level.

Yeah, coaching means nothing, until it does.

Reactions: stips and Teflon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Wellwood or Smith, they would both need to fill out their staff. I would guess decide on the coach first, then who stays or not, then the remaining staff.

Like I said last week, sometime in the coming week would make sense. They seem to make announcements between Tuesdays and Thursdays whenever possible so mid week this week would make sense. Leaves a few weeks to get ready for camp, especially if invites have been sent. I'm sure there could be a few waiting on who the new coach could be so they won't want to delay beyond this week.

Only a guess on my part but time line fits to show due diligence after the sudden departure of Letowski to the next level.

Cfaub

Because there has been no training camps for 2 years I am guessing players invited wont care who the new coach is,they will show
Heck it could be me and they would show, great guy, knows everything just ask me, ha ha
Dont forget with no camp last year for those drafted they will be here no doubt,if they know what's good for them.

member 71782

Cfaub

Because there has been no training camps for 2 years I am guessing players invited wont care who the new coach is,they will show
Heck it could be me and they would show, great guy, knows everything just ask me, ha ha
Dont forget with no camp last year for those drafted they will be here no doubt,if they know what's good for them.

I agree most will show but anyone on the fence about reporting, those that are tough to recruit could be swayed or not based on who the coach will be.

Some of the American and possibly Canadian kids who have yet to determine if CHL or NCAA route would be best. While Bowler has gotten a few out of the last two drafts it would be nice to see a few more at least come to camp to take a closer look.

The majority I agree, they will be here.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Delaying they r good at..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Another twist maybe ownership too cheap to invest in a quality coach. Maybe knowing Smith and Wellwood publicly announced their interest in the HC job has put ownership in a we can name our price. Not so fast. Lowball on the coach would set a tone fans are not willing to accept. Mr. Smith times are tight so we will give you the head coach position at your associate coach salary? Mr Wellwood although we'd love to have here,you we can't offer you what you were paid in Flint. Neither wants to be insulted. Discount coaching job available in Windsor. Ownership show me the bucks and I'll support my dollars to your cause.

Reactions: Teflon and windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
HC position could also influence wether or not Foudy comes back. Won’t even speculate on the hit to butts in the seats! This is a pretty big decision with many ramifications. I’m hoping the delay is that there’s a bigger fish in the net.

Reactions: stips

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
HC position could also influence wether or not Foudy comes back. Won’t even speculate on the hit to butts in the seats! This is a pretty big decision with many ramifications. I’m hoping the delay is that there’s a bigger fish in the net.

My question would be - who's (logically) a bigger fish than a former Spitfire who not only lives within a stone's throw from the arena but also just put an entire organization back on the tracks?!

Reactions: Teflon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

I doubt the decision to return Foudy to Jrs by Colorado and who the Windsor coach is mutually exclusive
It will because of the lack of organizational depth with Colorado up the middle,thus allowing them to take advantage of the loophole effecting OHL players who performed in the AHL last year.
And the Spits decision wont be impacted whether Foudy returns or not,afterall they had already extended Letowski prior to him getting his NHL job with Montreal.
And while Foudy was a minus player during his last year he was a -7, his rookie season he was a -19.
Now most players,many with huge improvements had better plus minus numbers the season last season because of the huge improvement team had from the prior year.
For example Connor Corcoran went from -45 to plus 11 in his final season, Cole Purboo went from -2 to +26 .

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Spits position will be known quick when we see who gets named…. Not sure how the rest of your post relates other than for you to break out your cheer leader pom poms?!?!

Reactions: TheGremlin

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits position will be known quick when we see who gets named…. Not sure how the rest of your post relates other than for you to break out your cheer leader pom poms?!?!
Yes I know positive info regarding players ie Corcoran, team improvements is discouraged on this forum as it goes counter to bashing,when that changes so will I.
The info I provide isn't wrong it gives context.
For example if team numbers re wins and losses,plus goals for increase almost a goal per game,player stats for most players improve alot including plus minus shouldn't that be promoted or do we have to put up with continuous drivel about the negatives ie past history, though successes from past history are mostly ignored a brief mention then back to the negative
Bottom line for me this team
was in an upward trend,most numbers support that
, now with 2 apparently good drafts in the books the future is bright on
the ice.
Off the ice I think the league and Windsor are in trouble, financially and would not be surprised Windsor doesn't survive if crowds dont show up.
Perpetual negativity isn't helping or neccessary

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yes I know positive info regarding players ie Corcoran, team improvements is discouraged on this forum as it goes counter to bashing,when that changes so will I.
For example if team numbers re wins and losses,plus goals for increase almost a goal per game,player stats for most players improve alot including plus minus shouldn't that be promoted or do we have to put up with continuous drivel about the negatives ie past history, though successes from past history are mostly ignored a brief mention then back to the negative
the ice.
Off the ice I think the league and Windsor are in trouble, financially and would not be surprised Windsor doesn't survive if crowds dont show up.

Coaching change might bring some fans in.
As long as its bringing someone in...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
the ice.

Nobody has said being positive isn't allowed. You talk about context and upward trends etc... Just as when 19-20 ended they were a 5th seed in the conference and no better than 50-50 to actually win a playoff series. That's context and facts as well.

If the league is in trouble financially that doesn't have anything to do with Windsor. Windsor being in bad financial shape wasn't just due to covid and I don't understand why it's on the fans just to start going regardless of the type of product that is on the ice. Do you go to a movie and say "this was a bad movie ____ actor was terrible" then go to another movie with that same actor because you like movies?? No that doesn't make any sense. It's up to the organization from top to bottom to put out a successful product.

I notice you don't discuss the ownership issue at all. Why should fans trust this ownership group? The group didn't care who they were selling the franchise to and the deal failed. Why should we trust this ownership has the best interests of the franchise at heart?? I certainly don't and that's fine. They are business people running a hockey franchise I don't expect anything else. You can still be a business person and run a successful hockey franchise but we haven't seen that to date.

Reactions: windsor7

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Why do fans need to trust an ownership group? This demented modern worldview is the biggest part of the problem with the negativity on this board, the idea that ownership is beholden to the self appointed gatekeepers of the team's fandom. Not a single fan walks up to the box office and thinks to himself: Hmm, i trust ownership will put good players on the ice this season, I think I'll attend a hockey game today! Zero. Lots of fans think: Hey, London is in town I want to see the Spits crush them! or Wow, MacDavid is in town I should check that out! or even: There's nothing on tv tonight, i wonder if the spits play anybody decent? The actual real fans, people who attend games rather than just obsess over meaningless shit on an online forum, don't care about who owns a team. They don't, and the suggestion that they do is just a fabrication designed to further your poor narrative about ownership.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nobody has said being positive isn't allowed. You talk about context and upward trends etc... Just as when 19-20 ended they were a 5th seed in the conference and no better than 50-50 to actually win a playoff series. That's context and facts as well.

If the league is in trouble financially that doesn't have anything to do with Windsor. Windsor being in bad financial shape wasn't just due to covid and I don't understand why it's on the fans just to start going regardless of the type of product that is on the ice. Do you go to a movie and say "this was a bad movie ____ actor was terrible" then go to another movie with that same actor because you like movies?? No that doesn't make any sense. It's up to the organization from top to bottom to put out a successful product.

I notice you don't discuss the ownership issue at all. Why should fans trust this ownership group? The group didn't care who they were selling the franchise to and the deal failed. Why should we trust this ownership has the best interests of the franchise at heart?? I certainly don't and that's fine. They are business people running a hockey franchise I don't expect anything else. You can still be a business person and run a successful hockey franchise but we haven't seen that to date.

Easy for you to say when you have no financial skin in the game.
As yes any positive comments on the forum is criticized there is a reason why it's the most reviled forum on these boards for junior hockey.
As for end of the last season where things were trending Windsor by choice decided not chase things like 4 others and we see how that turned out.
Better then I expected 2 good drafts,especially the last,alot of potential moving forward, overall in my view things will be on an upward trend,sometimes standing pat works out,something I doubt you will agree to
There was considerable improvement overall for most, numbers prove it standing wise,stats wise,players drafted,those dealing with team from outside ie agents not denigrating things here but praising,players reporting regardless of coach
Financially I feel bad for the league and teams that are or will suffer including Windsor.
Like I said before any coach hired starts from a better place then before.
Team on the rise always better then team about to start over.
That's Jr hockey.

Reactions: dirty12

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Legend you crack me up, I’ll stop expecting anything more than hooray! My post didn’t need/ask for player stats?? As for now saying it’s up to Windsor fans if the team stays or goes is pure fear mongering and you know it!! I’ve said for a number of years now this league is in trouble, that starts at Branch’s door! But you won’t say anything negative about anything ohl because it might affect your status. You want to remain anonymous, that’s fair, but to be clear something you do as work comes from your ability to roam the halls at will. That ability makes your comments purely one sided. Five you continue to astound me, you don’t have a clue. I cancelled my season tickets after decades, because this ownership group is a joke. I choose to only go to a handful of games, because this ownership has made a mockery of this franchise. Why trust the ownership group???? Gee they are very hands on when it comes to monetary decisions, those decisions directly affect the product on the ice. Not sure if that counts as a reasonable reason to you but….

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Easy for you to say when you have no financial skin in the game.
As yes any positive comments on the forum is criticized there is a reason why it's the most reviled forum on these boards for junior hockey.
As for end of the last season where things were trending Windsor by choice decided not chase things like 4 others and we see how that turned out.
Better then I expected 2 good drafts,especially the last,alot of potential moving forward, overall in my view things will be on an upward trend,sometimes standing pat works out,something I doubt you will agree to
There was considerable improvement overall for most, numbers prove it standing wise,stats wise,players drafted,those dealing with team from outside ie agents not denigrating things here but praising,players reporting regardless of coach
Financially I feel bad for the league and teams that are or will suffer including Windsor.
Like I said before any coach hired starts from a better place then before.
Team on the rise always better then team about to start over.
That's Jr hockey.

U play the hand u r dealt.
No whining.
All teams do it.

member 71782

Why do fans need to trust an ownership group? This demented modern worldview is the biggest part of the problem with the negativity on this board, the idea that ownership is beholden to the self appointed gatekeepers of the team's fandom. Not a single fan walks up to the box office and thinks to himself: Hmm, i trust ownership will put good players on the ice this season, I think I'll attend a hockey game today! Zero. Lots of fans think: Hey, London is in town I want to see the Spits crush them! or Wow, MacDavid is in town I should check that out! or even: There's nothing on tv tonight, i wonder if the spits play anybody decent? The actual real fans, people who attend games rather than just obsess over meaningless shit on an online forum, don't care about who owns a team. They don't, and the suggestion that they do is just a fabrication designed to further your poor narrative about ownership.

Do you know what's required to run a successful business where the entire model revolves on the public willing to support your business?

If owners won't support the business why would they expect fans/patrons/customers too?

Maybe hosting a Memorial Cup tournament that wasn't sold out would give them some indication as to what fans think of how this franchise had been run for a number of years before it and maybe the shrinking attendance numbers would give an indication of how fans think it's currently being run.

The owners pay the bills and reap the rewards or pay the losses based on fan response to the product.

Die hard fans whose only concern is having a team will always support them but those care about the product or a casual fan who wants a return for their time, money and support won't accept a second rate product.

Reputation is everything and a decade or so with only one bot of success that came the hard way is a franchise that shouldn't simply expect support but it's one that should realize it needs to earn that support.

Wow, the easiest things to understand are so difficult. If this were any other business would you continue to support it if their product let down time and time again?

Reactions: windsor7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad