Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
My problem with Thompson was he held back and played a very defensive game with an offensively talented roster. For the tourney it wasn't just the players that received help, the coaches did too. He also played to the strengths of the team during the tourney which made a huge difference. Anytime he did that during the season the team was dominant most games. He did that in the playoffs and built a 3 - 1 series lead, switched back to that defensive style that suffocated his own team's offensive game and lost the series. That was my issue with Thompson, he didn't fully utilize the team's strengths and Letowski was the same way which is where my concerns are with Smith.

Nothing against him but I don't want to see him play it safe and follow what he learned from those two.

Let him become his own coach, at a lower level. He can see what works from what he knows as well as what works works with a new coach while also developing his own ideas.

Would love nothing more if Wellwood came in for three years then went pro and Smith had the chance to build some success in LaSalle based on his thoughts away from the Spits spotlight after Letowski and Thompson have both moved on and Smith is the only carry over. If he struggles in Windsor fans will turn on him faster than they did Letowski and Thompson.

Develop him in the right situation.

It hasn't all been bad, it's been a lot of inconsistency that has hurt the team.

Sanctions were what they were. You pay a price for what went on. The problem was Rychel didn't take a step back with the sanctions in place, he was a kid in a candy store when Kerby was here. Every deal that returned assets needed to be made but spending them as soon as he brought assets in or spending big on a defected player when he had minimal assets was the problem.

He needed to step back for a season to evaluate things and he didn't which ultimately led to having to trade Kerby instead of winning a title when he was here.

It was great to see them win the tourney here, they earned it the tourney and the rules allow for it so no asterisk but until you accept that without the hosting they would have no post season success since 2011.

No one is upset they won within the rules but where you the disrespect is because you hold onto that final result while others simply point out they wouldn't have had a shot if they didn't host. After they were knocked thankfully they hosted and had the second chance and outplayed everyone to win it. Everyone agrees with you about winning it but they push back because they acknowledge it took the second chance to win it where you seem to ignore that part.

Yes you and I disagree, vehently on a lot of things but we have respect and we've met and discussed things face to face. That probably helps with the mutual respect. If you saw some comments for what they were and always a direct shot at you you would find many of those you disagree with actually are closer to your thoughts than you realize.

I'll keep challenging you as I know you will do the same with me and that's a good thing. This board would really suck if we all agreed on everything. Here's to more heated debates.

Good post. I still believe at this point the tipping point is whether or not Windsor gets Foudy back. I still have questions on D you have experience in Ladd/Henault, one has large injury concerns. After that game experience for the D drops precipitously Renwick has 77 career games, Sobolov, Ride, DeAngelis have not played an OHL game yet, Robinson has 63 games. I like Medina and he deserves credit for unseating Piiroinen with that being said Medina will need to be much better for this team to contend.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Erik Brannstrom played in the AHL as a 19 y/o player in the 18/19 season and ELC slid and didn’t start until the 19/20 season.

Christian Fischer played in the AHL as a 19 y/o in the 2016/17 season yet his ELC slid and didn’t start until the 2017/18 season.

The AHL/CHL agreement won’t have any say as to how ELC’s work and how they slide, that’s apart of the CBA and won’t change.

Foudy’s contract WILL slide in the AHL unless he plays over 10 games in the NHL.

Actually Fischer being an American was assigned here by Phoenix in 15/16,thus they could decide where to send him in 15/16 as well as the next year at age 19 to the AHL,different then what happened last year with the 10 players, Brannstrom same thing his team NHL decided where to send him
Both cases were not covered by CHL/NHL agreements.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good post. I still believe at this point the tipping point is whether or not Windsor gets Foudy back. I still have questions on D you have experience in Ladd/Henault, one has large injury concerns. After that game experience for the D drops precipitously Renwick has 77 career games, Sobolov, Ride, DeAngelis have not played an OHL game yet, Robinson has 63 games. I like Medina and he deserves credit for unseating Piiroinen with that being said Medina will need to be much better for this team to contend.

Rayzor

The lack of experience re the D will effect almost every team in the League
Good reason why teams like Erie losing Drysdale,Kitchener Sebrango,
and the SSM losing O Rourke will really be impacted.
Covid definitely impacted most if not all teams to varying degrees.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Actually Fischer being an American was assigned here by Phoenix in 15/16,thus they could decide where to send him in 15/16 as well as the next year at age 19 to the AHL,different then what happened last year with the 10 players, Brannstrom same thing his team NHL decided where to send him
Both cases were not covered by CHL/NHL agreements.
They weren’t, but with the exception next season that will apply to Jean-Luc; Colorado will decide to let him play in the AHL, that isn’t a question. And if he doesn’t play more than 10 games in the NHL, his contract will slide since he signed it as a 18 y/o.

The only way an ELC doesn’t slide is if you play more than 10 games in the NHL as a 18/19 y/o for the first time. It doesn’t matter you play in the CHL, AHL, Europe, or KHL, if you signed a ELC at age 18 or 19 y/o; your contract will slide if you didn’t meet the NHL games played threshold.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Rayzor

From a quick glance, every team is losing at least two D-men, some as high as 4-5 or more. Most teams are in a similar boat in that regard.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

This isn't exactly surprising since there are only 6 D dressed every game. It will be pretty much be a race by every team to get their D acclimated quickly enough. As of now the Spits don't have a coach nor a defensive coach so yeah I wouldn't be making any predictions either way with this group.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
The importance of coaching at this level is overblown around here. These are kids, not pros and they don't play the way the coach wants most of the time anyway. If there are enough good players your team will be successful despite the coach, look only a couple of hours down the 401 for proof of that. Hunter couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag but it doesn't hurt London's ability to compete. I like Medina in net, and in junior hockey a good goalie is often good enough to win you a cup. We've done it that way before.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The importance of coaching at this level is overblown around here. These are kids, not pros and they don't play the way the coach wants most of the time anyway. If there are enough good players your team will be successful despite the coach, look only a couple of hours down the 401 for proof of that. Hunter couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag but it doesn't hurt London's ability to compete. I like Medina in net, and in junior hockey a good goalie is often good enough to win you a cup. We've done it that way before.
Coaching makes a huge difference at this age. Hunter's earned his respect by his track record of mostly successful seasons year in and year out. Talent wants to go there because of the number of graduates in the NHL. Better management or better coach developing players? You have to choose one or the other. Believe me I detest the Knights as a Spits fan but you have to respect what they do as a very stable organization. Stability is what young kids need most at that age. Wanted to be treated fairly and ice time earned from results on the ice.

Reactions: stips

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Listed below is the number of points put up by all expected returning Dmen in the West by team
I am not including Drysdale,Sebrango and ORourke for their respective teams as I expect them to be in the NHL or AHL next season.
Surprisingly Windsor is #1
List includes number of dmen for
for each team experienced, G,A,PTS

1- Windsor (4)- 8G,84A,92 Points
2- Guelph (4)- 14G,53A,67 "
3- Saginaw (3)- 21G 45A, 66 "
4-Owen Sd.(5) -14G,52A, 66 "
5-Sarnia (5)- 13G,48A 61 "
6- Sault (3) -11G,47A 58 "
7- Kitchener(3)-11G,31A 42 "
8- London (4)- 6G, 25A 31 "
9-Flint (3)- 0G, 15A 15 "
10- Erie (2) -3G, 9A 9"

Interesting facts I would say
Notes, Windsor has 2 OA,Owen Sound
3 OA plus OA Goalie Guzda,London Guelph, Erie ,Flint have no oa dmen
Thoughts?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They REALLY need a guy who can bury it from the point. Henault, Robinson, and Ladd can get the puck up and rack up the assists, but nobody with the goals. Even Rafkin's four goals would have been the returning high total (incl. Renwick). We're going to miss Corcoran and Rafkin more than we realize, at least early on.

Reactions: Teflon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They REALLY need a guy who can bury it from the point. Henault, Robinson, and Ladd can get the puck up and rack up the assists, but nobody with the goals. Even Rafkin's four goals would have been the returning high total (incl. Renwick). We're going to miss Corcoran and Rafkin more than we realize, at least early on.

Agree the loss of Rafkin is huge on the backend, as you know Corcoran would have been gone anyway as he has aged out.
Hopefully Baisov upfront along with Montreal drafted dman Danill Sobelev Russian import can make up for Rafkin,scoring from Baisov,and solid 2 way play from Sobelev who I understand will play with an edge.

Reactions: OHLTG

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Hey legend, you say your not an employee, but do you have credentials handed out from the team, have access to the team and sit in a press box for no charge?? This team needs a big point shot AND a guy to clear their own net. That will be its weakness. As for the comment that coaching doesn’t matter?!?! You sir need to do some homework before you make comments on a page like this!!

Reactions: windsor7

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Hey legend, you say your not an employee, but do you have credentials handed out from the team, have access to the team and sit in a press box for no charge?? This team needs a big point shot AND a guy to clear their own net. That will be its weakness. As for the comment that coaching doesn’t matter?!?! You sir need to do some homework before you make comments on a page like this!!
You sir need to learn how to properly read before you make comments on a page like this. I said coaching's importance was overblown on this board when it comes to junior hockey, not that it didn't matter. Those are two different things. Hooked on phonics man, give it a shot. Obviously the coach makes a difference, but how much of a difference is exaggerated by people like you in my opinion. Junior hockey is different than professional hockey, superior talent generally trumps superior tactics at the junior level. In the NHL where all the players are adult pros at an elite world class level I'll agree that coaching means a lot, but in junior hockey it just doesn't give as much of an advantage. You see it every year in the OHL, its the teams with the most/best talented players who win, not the teams with the best coaching. It's not hard to find OHL champions with lousy coaches, but you'd have a very difficult time finding a championship team that didn't have an abundance of NHL prospects, talent means more than coaching. Come on, you've seen a season or two play out right?

Reactions: hockeylegend11

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Just an oddball thought but could the holdup in signing Wellwood be compensation? If I understood things correctly, he was under contract with an OHL team and left on his own accord.
Perhaps that team is asking for compensation.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just an oddball thought but could the holdup in signing Wellwood be compensation? If I understood things correctly, he was under contract with an OHL team and left on his own accord.
Perhaps that team is asking for compensation.

Punch

Possible good catch, dont know about that one,he probably had a 3 year deal though and last year's inactive situation would probably have counted,depends on his deal
Something I never thought of till you mentioned it.
Hope u are wrong.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lol ok cornholeo!! Coaching is much more important at a younger jr age than it is in the show. Ever been to a Roger Nielsen coaching clinic? You want to play English language games have at it but your wrong. Pro coaches have elite skill level players to work their systems to. Jr coaches are still refining those raw skills and doing it while the players are going through a multitude of changes to their bodies and their brains. Pro coaches work with adults, working at their full time jobs..

I don’t believe there is any compensation due for Welly. Think he walked away from an option year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Just an oddball thought but could the holdup in signing Wellwood be compensation? If I understood things correctly, he was under contract with an OHL team and left on his own accord. Perhaps that team is asking for compensation.

Seems like he chose not to renew his contract. He could have always had a year left but with the suspension being lifted this summer the contract Wellwood got was probably strategic from the pov of Nilsen returning.

Firebirds’ Wellwood won’t return for 2021-22 – Ontario Hockey League

I doubt Flint would want compensation and going by the wording of these articles he didn't want to stay. They wouldn't seek compensation in this case since most likely Wellwood isn't receiving any compensation from Flint.

Reactions: dirty12

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Lol ok cornholeo!! Coaching is much more important at a younger jr age than it is in the show. Ever been to a Roger Nielsen coaching clinic? You want to play English language games have at it but your wrong. Pro coaches have elite skill level players to work their systems to. Jr coaches are still refining those raw skills and doing it while the players are going through a multitude of changes to their bodies and their brains. Pro coaches work with adults, working at their full time jobs..

I don’t believe there is any compensation due for Welly. Think he walked away from an option year.
An OHL coach is just a baysitter that has to make the tough decision to play his best players as much as possible. Its not that difficult, you could be a good OHL coach. Talent wins in the OHL, not coaching.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I thought Wellwood was waiting on a Sarnia or Windsor opening as places without Nillson close enough to family and family business. Maybe, he just does not want to coach right now due to personal circumstances.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
He’s already said he’d love the spits job. Thanks for your input! Babysitter lmao.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
The longer it takes to name a coach, sure sends a message that Smith is in.
A new coach requires some time to organize his staff, prepare systems to match players, training camp, etc.

Fans are going to be steamed if Wellwood is not the new coach!!!!!!!!!

This hire will sure tell alot about the current ownership.

Reactions: Teflon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Chose to look up the Eastern Conference offense from the Dmen
expected to return for coming season
Results

Barrie-88 Pts,2OG Osh - 53 Pts,10G
Miss -58 Pts,15G NF - 53 Pts,14G
Ham -58 Pts,11G Sud -50 Pts,16G
NB 54 Pts,10G King- 45 Pts,8G
Ott -55 Pts,13G Peter 7Pts, 0G

Thoughts- Very close after Barrie next 7 teams,Peterborough not looking good
Barrie is 2nd in the league behind
Windsor which has 92 Points
That being said Windsor only has 8G
returning from the backend,would have been tied with Kingston in the East for 2nd last as they have 8G too
Bottom 5 teams actually 6 for G
are
FLINT-0
Peter -0
Erie- 3
Lon- 3
King 8
Wind 8

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A new coach requires some time to organize his staff, prepare systems to match players, training camp, etc.

I wouldn't look at it this way yet
Perhaps Wellwood has asked for time to business affairs in order,negotiations on going for who is staying ie Perry Wilson, Goalie Coach,,does Jarrod Smith stay on as assistant coach or not,Defense coach,does Wellwood if bring his D coach from Flint with him Mark Rideout,former Spit,does team want to introduce them all at once rather then stagger,btw according to my sources training camp invites have been sent out.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Absolutely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad