Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Can one of you team slappies enlighten me. How am I being selfish when going to these games isn’t free?? It costs a pretty good chunk of change to take in a Spits game. I said team refuses to put a best effort forward then I as a paying customer get to voice my displeasure. If anyone is selfish it’s this ownership group! Owning a team comes with the obligation of putting your best effort forward, this group isn’t doing that. This team is run on a very tight budget, players and fans be damned!

As for fans in the stands, this gov needs to look no further than how the UK handled a 4th wave.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Gee I wonder how much U OF SASK paid Mike Babcock for head coach. Gotta think it was less than what a CHL coach would make? 4th wave is going to kill live fans in the seats once again. Currently the provincial limit is 1000 indoors. Expect that to be rolled back unfortunately. Local health officials can stunt that number or bar fans altogether. High positivity rate here again. I said over a year ago that people's selfishness will dictate the return to normalcy. I'm not saying everyone should be forced to vaccinate, I'm saying maybe Quebec's vaccine passport is something Ontario needs to consider. Reward those with some extra freedoms. We can't afford anymore shutdowns, who is going to pay for all these bailouts. Enough politics, Spits announce a new coach already.

Babcock was doing it on a volunteer basis as he was still getting paid by the Leafs. I am not going to get into the whole barring fans or limits on fans or vaccine passports. I will just leave it at this if you can go on a vacation right now without a passport how is that going to deter people in the future?? The idea of rewarding individuals just seems like such a divisive move that will only turn people against eachother more. Personally I am fine with that because I never onced believed this was banding together. If you want to go to a hockey game let them go. If they want to go to Jamaica for a week let them go. Just live your best life.

Reactions: member 71782

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
*superfluous words removed*

What's the positives about holding off on hiring a coach when there's plans for a season and training camp only a few weeks away?
Waiting to make a decision gives ownership the maximum amount of time to get the guy they want if their target hasn't decided on his future yet. It seems pretty obvious to me, especially since the start of the season could be up in the air with the onset of 4th wave. What exactly is the future coach supposed to do 3 weeks before camp starts anyway? Should he already be in town filling out name tags and organizing locker rooms? Is that what uber coach Dale Hunter is doing right now? If I had to guess he's fishing on some lake and doing everything possible to not think about going back to work in 3 weeks. Thats how most people spend their time off, not thinking about work. That's what our coach would be doing if we had one.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
How many players, many of whom are looking for a pro career are going to come out and publicly say an organization is bad? I mean becoming known as someone who may be difficult to deal with from an organizational perspective is one sure way to turn off teams.

So 22 players already signed, as the last few camps showed us team is pretty much set. Let's not worry about competition for spots then and let's just get the season started already. We've seen how that plays out recently haven't we.

We know the fans, beyond their wallets are of limited concern and as some have pointed out as fans we should just open our wallets and be grateful we can spend our money regardless of the quality of the product.

Three weeks to go until camp, potentially but looking doubtful a new coach coming in and Windsor has made nothing known about who it may be.

My guess is like Letowski, Smith gets the job and any announcements will be for his staff with no direct announcement of Smith while the big push to sell season ticket packages is on.

Shows their opinion of the fans.

Cfaub

In regards to a set lineup of 22 players really 21 because there is a 3rd goalie which is Tovell and he will be playing B this year,and questioning the fact that 9 players 7 from the last 2 drafts plus the 2 Russian imports sight unseen at an OHL camp have been signed already like most teams it's the way to get ready for the season
There probably will be 2 or 3 more signings,I would do 4 max,3 forwards and 1D ideally can live with 3 forwards as there is only 11 signed excluding Foudy along with 8 D.
Also keep in mind you can only roster 4-16 year olds,sign as many as you drafted if u wish but roster 4
We have 3 signed already
That being said I see Centers Ethan Martin and Jack Greenwell battling it out for the 4th 16 year old spot,and 17 year old forwards Coulson Pitre and Luke Fritz battling for a spot upfront,and depending on other circumstances not discussing yet both could net a contract.
Can also see a 17 year old D signing on from last year's draft .

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Can one of you team slappies enlighten me. How am I being selfish when going to these games isn’t free?? It costs a pretty good chunk of change to take in a Spits game. I said team refuses to put a best effort forward then I as a paying customer get to voice my displeasure. If anyone is selfish it’s this ownership group! Owning a team comes with the obligation of putting your best effort forward, this group isn’t doing that. This team is run on a very tight budget, players and fans be damned!

As for fans in the stands, this gov needs to look no further than how the UK handled a 4th wave.

So Teflon

If the Spits hire Wellwood as their new head coach will you still refuse to buy/ renew season tickets for this coming season ?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's currently August 14, which means there are still three weeks until the players report to camp (assuming status quo). IF there's no head coach in place by the last few days in August, then I'll start getting nervous and asking questions. For all we know, they could have made a hire already but are giving everyone time to do their own thing before announcing it. Just because this place is freaking out doesn't mean they need to rush and announce.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Lets see Windsor make a actual decision first.
They r best at delays.
What delays?
What's the rush?
It's not like the most popular candidate on this board is going anywhere else,all the other teams in the league have done their hiring for a head coach
Perhaps only speculation that if its Wellwood he needs to clear up business interests before committing
or as well the completion of the assistant coaches staffing,will there 1
or 2 or 3 new assistants.
If it were me it would be the following
Wellwood head coach,Smith associate coach if he wants it,if not offer it to Greg Nemisz, Dalton Prout defense coach,Perry Wilson goalie coach,if not him Michael Leighton.
Now if Prout doesn't want the D job,go after Mark Rideout,Wellwood 's D coach last year in Flint.

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
What delays?
What's the rush?
It's not like the most popular candidate on this board is going anywhere else,all the other teams in the league have done their hiring for a head coach
Perhaps only speculation that if its Wellwood he needs to clear up business interests before committing
or as well the completion of the assistant coaches staffing,will there 1
or 2 or 3 new assistants.
If it were me it would be the following
Wellwood head coach,Smith associate coach if he wants it,if not offer it to Greg Nemisz, Dalton Prout defense coach,Perry Wilson goalie coach,if not him Michael Leighton.
Now if Prout doesn't want the D job,go after Mark Rideout,Wellwood 's D coach last year in Flint.

Well lets just wait till season starts...
Says Sarcastically....

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So Teflon

If the Spits hire Wellwood as their new head coach will you still refuse to buy/ renew season tickets for this coming season ?
No I’ll assume the ownership is ready to commit to this team and treat it as it should be. Frankly if they pull a better qualified coach out of the hat I’ll be further convinced. Doesn’t HAVE to be Welly, his is one name directly linked I’m ok with. You asking this question has me thinking you’ve heard something?? See that’s how questions directed at me get answered!

for those asking what’s the rush lol. When’s the last time you became a HC in the O?

member 71782

For those who have no issue with a team not having a coach a couple of weeks before camp opens, when was the last time it happened barring an extremely late pro hiring of a JR coach.

Three weeks before camp and there may be the odd current coach, not new hire that may be closing up the cottage but for the most part once the trade window opens the beginning of August I'm sure GMs and their coaching staff are getting together to start exploring personnel fits on the ice.

People don't think a coach has prep work for camp? That would be a nice cushy job, getting ready for the season while the coaching staff is off fishing or vacationing in different locations. That's commitment.

A new staff? Yeah, they would have nothing better to do such as familiarizing themselves with their potential roster. But when some think coaches don't matter much at this level I guess it makes sense.

In terms of waiting for a new coach to make arrangements for outside business interests, to a small extent there's a possibility but if an organization wants to make a commitment to someone who needs a fair amount of time for extracurricular interests it should have no impact on announcing the hiring.

Has this happened in Windsor before? Yes. I don't remember if it was their first year in the league or the end of their Tier II days but Maxner was a last minute, spur of the moment hire, just before training camp when something happened to the coach who was supposed to be there. That again was a last minute out of necessity not choice.

member 71782

Cfaub

In regards to a set lineup of 22 players really 21 because there is a 3rd goalie which is Tovell and he will be playing B this year,and questioning the fact that 9 players 7 from the last 2 drafts plus the 2 Russian imports sight unseen at an OHL camp have been signed already like most teams it's the way to get ready for the season
There probably will be 2 or 3 more signings,I would do 4 max,3 forwards and 1D ideally can live with 3 forwards as there is only 11 signed excluding Foudy along with 8 D.
Also keep in mind you can only roster 4-16 year olds,sign as many as you drafted if u wish but roster 4
We have 3 signed already
That being said I see Centers Ethan Martin and Jack Greenwell battling it out for the 4th 16 year old spot,and 17 year old forwards Coulson Pitre and Luke Fritz battling for a spot upfront,and depending on other circumstances not discussing yet both could net a contract.
Can also see a 17 year old D signing on from last year's draft .

So basically they have signed as many players they had before the last two training camps.

I can see one more forward signed from camp or a FA to start the year with 12 up front but that’s about it.

Ideally they sign one more 16 year old to carry, if there's one ready to rotate in and out, if not another 17 year old. After that, get as many 16 year olds in LaSalle as they can to oversee their development, better do what's needed to get the extra card sooner rather than later like we saw with Jodoin a couple of years ago. Would also be nice to get a couple of 17 year olds in LaSalle or others for development and potential call ups.

I feel starting the year carrying 24, with a spot held for Foudy in case he gets sent back leaves them 5 potentially 6 cards for any possible deals. Leaves them room to adjust the roster with the flexibility to rotate kids in and out with so many rookies on the roster. Cards should not become an issue this way.

I don't want to see the debacle from Rychel's last year where they had 11 forwards post deadline when McDonald, as well as Ladd on D were injured and they had no one signed to bring up.

You are more familiar with the prospects than I am so who has a chance, I'll trust your word over my guesses.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So basically they have signed as many players they had before the last two training camps.

I can see one more forward signed from camp or a FA to start the year with 12 up front but that’s about it.

Ideally they sign one more 16 year old to carry, if there's one ready to rotate in and out, if not another 17 year old. After that, get as many 16 year olds in LaSalle as they can to oversee their development, better do what's needed to get the extra card sooner rather than later like we saw with Jodoin a couple of years ago. Would also be nice to get a couple of 17 year olds in LaSalle or others for development and potential call ups.

I feel starting the year carrying 24, with a spot held for Foudy in case he gets sent back leaves them 5 potentially 6 cards for any possible deals. Leaves them room to adjust the roster with the flexibility to rotate kids in and out with so many rookies on the roster. Cards should not become an issue this way.

I don't want to see the debacle from Rychel's last year where they had 11 forwards post deadline when McDonald, as well as Ladd on D were injured and they had no one signed to bring up.

You are more familiar with the prospects than I am so who has a chance, I'll trust your word over my guesses.

Cfaub

LaSalle and other JrB teams C teams as well are only allowed to carry 1-16 yr old player on their rosters alot more restrictive then OHL so placement of 16 year olds wont happen.
I could see a couple of 17 year olds in La Salle not on A cards then,carry a roster of 23,allow for the Foudy situation and have 6 cards to work with.
As it looks now with 11F signed and 8D signed,I see 2 forwards added to this group,and if there is 3 it's because Birkett 17 year old forward already signed
would be sent to La Salle.
Do I see this team going thru 30 cards this year I dont.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Cfaub

LaSalle and other JrB teams C teams as well are only allowed to carry 1-16 yr old player on their rosters alot more restrictive then OHL so placement of 16 year olds wont happen.
I could see a couple of 17 year olds in La Salle not on A cards then,carry a roster of 23,allow for the Foudy situation and have 6 cards to work with.
As it looks now with 11F signed and 8D signed,I see 2 forwards added to this group,and if there is 3 it's because Birkett 17 year old forward already signed

Need a coach n staff....

member 71782

Cfaub

I thought B was 2x 16 year old cards with the ability to get a 3rd, forget how they could do that.

Agree they won't go through 30 cards.

Would be nice to see them carry 14 Fs, 7/8 D plus the 2 Gs. I don't know what's going to happen with Jodoin If he's taken a big step then it becomes a nice problem to have, if not it could be time to move on if the younger kids are passing him by out of camp. Keep him in LaSalle for the year as a call up if needed but I would look at other options, especially if Robinson is moved.

This D needs some work. We know what most bring and there's still some key elements missing.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I thought B was 2x 16 year old cards with the ability to get a 3rd, forget how they could do that.

Agree they won't go through 30 cards.

Would be nice to see them carry 14 Fs, 7/8 D plus the 2 Gs. I don't know what's going to happen with Jodoin If he's taken a big step then it becomes a nice problem to have, if not it could be time to move on if the younger kids are passing him by out of camp. Keep him in LaSalle for the year as a call up if needed but I would look at other options, especially if Robinson is moved.

This D needs some work. We know what most bring and there's still some key elements missing.

Cfaub

Looked up a couple of things,Jodoin was the only 16 year old on La Salle when he played there the last time we played,so yeah it's only 1-16 year old and he has to be signed to an A card
Players 16 years old from another town ie Chatham or London cant play in La Salle must be in their districts.
As for Robinson I see him given one chance whoever the new coach is,perhaps he will mature and reach his potential, at least that's what I hope.
As for the D,unlike others I think most teams in the league have D question marks, 2 years losing players,plus the American league bound ones,I am thinking, ORourke, Sebrango and Drysdale,plus 6 forwards around the league,quite the flux for the whole league,which is why I think Windsor is in a better spot then many looking ahead.

Reactions: member 71782

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
100 % not Wellwood. He’s coaching a pro team.
Again if true
I can see why the delay in naming a new coach plus assistants lots of apps for the job
Windsor is a coveted spot in hockey circles,they only get promoted to NHL when here.
Rocky Thompson came out of nowhere and we see how that worked.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Imagine how people would have reacted if the club hired someone internally the day after Letowski left? Holy cow!! Sorry, again, mid-August, I'm not stressing just yet. We have no idea what's going on behind-the-scenes.

member 71782

Imagine how people would have reacted if the club hired someone internally the day after Letowski left? Holy cow!! Sorry, again, mid-August, I'm not stressing just yet. We have no idea what's going on behind-the-scenes.

I think that's what many expected and if true that it's not Wellwood then Smith, internal candidate would be the logical assumption anyways.

Of course we, most of us at least have no idea what's going on behind the scenes but mid August with camp coming up this needs to get done.

Unless we hear who didn't get the job though we won't know if due diligence was really done regardless of how many applicants they had.

Reactions: windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Blind faith?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Of course we, most of us at least have no idea what's going on behind the scenes but mid August with camp coming up this needs to get done.

Of course it has to be done, but I'm not going to sit here on August 14 and worry because they haven't made anything public. What good does that really do?

Blind faith?

Refusal to get worked up over it in mid-August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad