Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I still believe that Foudy is better served to lead a talented team ( on paper) then to then to go pro too soon. I realize that will be the Avalanches decision but Liam started with a bang 2020 playoffs in the NHL, but then last season was a reality check IMO with Columbus. Still have not seen that 20 games played in the AHL agreement finalized publicly. Maybe waiting on that annual meeting to make it official?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Something more to think about on the verge of the 4th covid wave. As per Lisa McLeod referencing to OHL teams whose city owns the arena they play in. The local health unit will decide if fans are allowed in and or what restrictions fans will face. The Winnepeg Jets already announced only vaccinated fans will be allowed at their home games this season. I'm thinking it will be a very tough year for the OHL owner's again when you combine possible fan restrictions, fear of many to return to large crowds, masking, will food and beverages be allowed? All this in addition to the product on the ice and very tough economic times financially for many. Yikes!

Reactions: Roadhog

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
If Windsor decides on fans, that makes me nervous.
No reason to be nervous. In a lot of cases they are only allowed a % of capacity. Windsor holds 6,400 but if they are allowed 33% capacity or roughly 2,200
spread out it would be just fine. IMHO.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
No reason to be nervous. In a lot of cases they are only allowed a % of capacity. Windsor holds 6,400 but if they are allowed 33% capacity or roughly 2,200
spread out it would be just fine. IMHO.

I'd be nervous because the City of Windsor has been VERY cautious and almost wishy-washy throughout the pandemic. Leaving it up to them doesn't feel right.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm seriously worried about the future of the OHL. I doubt all 20 teams will survive with restrictions of any sort. I have 3 close couples who have been STH for over 20 yrs and none of them renewed this season. They are considering maybe like a 10 pack promotion if things stay settled. They are more concerned with safety being older than the team or who will be coaching. They supported the team in the lean years as well as the glory years. Box seats on sale further show the lack of funds or interest in these times. The West only schedule doesn't help. Our faithful STH base is getting older and it's a crossroads for junior hockey as a whole. I hope I am 100% wrong. Need to somehow draw the interest of the younger diverse community.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm seriously worried about the future of the OHL. I doubt all 20 teams will survive with restrictions of any sort. I have 3 close couples who have been STH for over 20 yrs and none of them renewed this season. They are considering maybe like a 10 pack promotion if things stay settled. They are more concerned with safety being older than the team or who will be coaching. They supported the team in the lean years as well as the glory years. Box seats on sale further show the lack of funds or interest in these times. The West only schedule doesn't help. Our faithful STH base is getting older and it's a crossroads for junior hockey as a whole. I hope I am 100% wrong. Need to somehow draw the interest of the younger diverse community.

I doubt they r the only ones. Spitfires calling people up, however dont have a plan in order. Waiting..

member 71782

It's 5:16pm on August 13th, do you know who the head coach of the Windsor Spitfires is???

I really figured with three weeks to go, invites sent out for training camp and still no HC? Guess I gave them a bit too much credit in speculating on them getting this done.

Well maybe the delay allows them to say there just wasn't enough time to do their due diligence so they'll go with Smith and a couple of long lost relatives since Smith is a familiar face and they've done their due diligence on him for years.

Tried to be optimistic but looking like another let down from this group.

Maybe they'll surprise us after training camp and announce their decision as they get on the bus for their first exhibition game on the road.

Reactions: Cherrydon and stips

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Gee I wonder how much U OF SASK paid Mike Babcock for head coach. Gotta think it was less than what a CHL coach would make? 4th wave is going to kill live fans in the seats once again. Currently the provincial limit is 1000 indoors. Expect that to be rolled back unfortunately. Local health officials can stunt that number or bar fans altogether. High positivity rate here again. I said over a year ago that people's selfishness will dictate the return to normalcy. I'm not saying everyone should be forced to vaccinate, I'm saying maybe Quebec's vaccine passport is something Ontario needs to consider. Reward those with some extra freedoms. We can't afford anymore shutdowns, who is going to pay for all these bailouts. Enough politics, Spits announce a new coach already.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
As a cost cutting move, the Spitfires are planning to announce they won't have coaches this year.
Lmao, it's quite possible they are waiting to see if the season actually kicks off. Not paying anyone who hasn't been hired yet. I'm sure paying coaches last year sucked with no hockey. But those contracts were based on years not seasons played. All were negotiated as an annual contract before Covid hit.

Reactions: member 71782

Arron Backhouse

Mar 25, 2019
Lmao, it's quite possible they are waiting to see if the season actually kicks off. Not paying anyone who hasn't been hired yet. I'm sure paying coaches last year sucked with no hockey. But those contracts were based on years not seasons played. All were negotiated as an annual contract before Covid hit.

Going forward im guessing teams will have a Pandemic Clause when they sign coaches, scouts or anything to do with the team in every sports league so that teams wont have the issue of paying people when they are unable to work bc of a pandemic. Maybe thats one reason nothing has been announced combined with the 4th wave coming

Oct 3, 2019
I really figured with three weeks to go, invites sent out for training camp and still no HC? Guess I gave them a bit too much credit in speculating on them getting this done.

Well maybe the delay allows them to say there just wasn't enough time to do their due diligence so they'll go with Smith and a couple of long lost relatives since Smith is a familiar face and they've done their due diligence on him for years.

Tried to be optimistic but looking like another let down from this group.

Maybe they'll surprise us after training camp and announce their decision as they get on the bus for their first exhibition game on the road.

why is everything a disappointment?
The mighty Ford hasn’t given thumbs up and you’re looking for a coach. How about being less selfish and think about these kids who haven’t played a game in how long? Go to the games and support the players. What do you care about the ownership and who coaches? If you live the game you will support the kids.

member 71782

The mighty Ford hasn’t given thumbs up and you’re looking for a coach. How about being less selfish and think about these kids who haven’t played a game in how long? Go to the games and support the players. What do you care about the ownership and who coaches? If you live the game you will support the kids.

Barring a massive change, which is possible in these times these kids are expecting training camp to open in about three weeks. Training camp for a team that currently has no coach and potentially no staff to go along with said coach.

Teams at times have to replace coaches on short notice, mid season firings for example but when you have six or so weeks before training to replace a coach and three weeks before you still haven't replaced them? That does create concerns.

It brings into question how prepared a new coach and staff will be prepared to open the season.

How concerned the organization is with bringing in the most qualified staff.

Does the team have the best interests of everyone involved when there appears to be a lack of urgency in getting ready for camp.

Certainly things can change in a hurry, maybe even the day camp is set to open but is that an excuse for the organization not to be prepared? Right now everything is pointing to a new season yet some are thinking that since there might be changes to when the season may start having no coaches shouldn't be an issue.

When should people be concerned?

Next week? The week after? Maybe the day before camp starts?

When should kids who haven't decided about showing up be concerned about it? Maybe they should go into things with blind faith that they should make their decisions based on the team saying that any coach they hire will be the right fit for them and they shouldn't worry about it.

Thats not thinking of the kids? Those aren't reasons to be disappointed in this latest issue?

When does the lack of some sort of competence and direction at the top become an issue for some?

The same group that took a controlling interest then immediately tried to sell the team in one of the most undesirable scenarios possible, then eliminated almost the entire scouting staff, then continues with a coaching staff that can't get things done then the GM makes no moves to either improve a team at the top of the conference or move some high value players at the deadline while half the conference predictably passes them by.

Now no coach three weeks before camp with an organization that has become completely predictable when it comes to their silence usually leading to a decision almost no one supports. Case in point, there is no announcement at all, complete silence about the status of Letowski until he gets another job. An announcement that would have affected some people renewing season tickets and the team kept it quiet. Pretty low move when they know there's a number of fans who weren't going to renew if Letowski was returning.

What's the positives about holding off on hiring a coach when there's plans for a season and training camp only a few weeks away?

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The only situation I can compare this to .....
In 1978-79 Harold Ballard fired his HC Roger Neilson after a bad stretch of games. However, he was unable to find a new coach in time to get behind the bench for Toronto’s next game, so he re-hired Neilson.
Trying to take advantage of the publicity, Ballard wanted Neilson to return with a bag over his head as The Mystery Coach. Neilson refused...

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The only situation I can compare this to .....
In 1978-79 Harold Ballard fired his HC Roger Neilson after a bad stretch of games. However, he was unable to find a new coach in time to get behind the bench for Toronto’s next game, so he re-hired Neilson.
Trying to take advantage of the publicity, Ballard wanted Neilson to return with a bag over his head as The Mystery Coach. Neilson refused...
Cfaub
One part I will respond to is about the players and if any could be hedging whether to be here or not a couple of things
With 22 players signed excluding Foudy not many openings to be had for one,you will recall recent comments from agents or reps of the Russian players and also the O'Flaherty kids rep and this was before we knew Letowski was leaving the praise given to the organization, these players were coming, I doubt very much that any player has a concern re who the coach will be especially the Ontario born players who for the most part have not played in almost a year and a half.
Besides I dont want player telling who he is and isn't going to play for,said player wont be here then.
Most American born prospects have already committed to where they are playing next season anyways.
Sorry quoted wrong post.

member 71782

Cfaub
One part I will respond to is about the players and if any could be hedging whether to be here or not a couple of things
With 22 players signed excluding Foudy not many openings to be had for one,you will recall recent comments from agents or reps of the Russian players and also the O'Flaherty kids rep and this was before we knew Letowski was leaving the praise given to the organization, these players were coming, I doubt very much that any player has a concern re who the coach will be especially the Ontario born players who for the most part have not played in almost a year and a half.
Besides I dont want player telling who he is and isn't going to play for,said player wont be here then.
Most American born prospects have already committed to where they are playing next season anyways.
Sorry quoted wrong post.

How many players, many of whom are looking for a pro career are going to come out and publicly say an organization is bad? I mean becoming known as someone who may be difficult to deal with from an organizational perspective is one sure way to turn off teams.

So 22 players already signed, as the last few camps showed us team is pretty much set. Let's not worry about competition for spots then and let's just get the season started already. We've seen how that plays out recently haven't we.

We know the fans, beyond their wallets are of limited concern and as some have pointed out as fans we should just open our wallets and be grateful we can spend our money regardless of the quality of the product.

Three weeks to go until camp, potentially but looking doubtful a new coach coming in and Windsor has made nothing known about who it may be.

My guess is like Letowski, Smith gets the job and any announcements will be for his staff with no direct announcement of Smith while the big push to sell season ticket packages is on.

Shows their opinion of the fans.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

This has very little to do with Ford. If that was the case then the 6-7 other jobs or more that were available this offseason would still be open. As soo as the OHL released it's schedule teams were going to operate under that assumption. I think you had said on July 21st that the Spits would have a head coaching opening and 24 days later they hadn't filled it yet. You would said most people being very surprised. A lot of GMs would tell you in all sports they have a list of prospective coaches at the ready in case a coach moves to another job, gets fired, resigns etc.. I am sure Bowler was surprised but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been prepared though. Letowski is your coach until he isn't and that's what happened. With a few weeks before camp you still have to get your coach and possibly hire 2-3 assistants. At this point you probably can't pluck many assistants that are with other teams at this point.

I'm not really sure about where the selfish comment comes in as well as ownership and coaches. All this frustration comes from ownership/management. People didn't like Boka because he was put in the top 6, that wasn't because of Boka that was because of a decision by the coaching staff.

Reactions: member 71782

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Something more to think about on the verge of the 4th covid wave. As per Lisa McLeod referencing to OHL teams whose city owns the arena they play in. The local health unit will decide if fans are allowed in and or what restrictions fans will face. The Winnepeg Jets already announced only vaccinated fans will be allowed at their home games this season. I'm thinking it will be a very tough year for the OHL owner's again when you combine possible fan restrictions, fear of many to return to large crowds, masking, will food and beverages be allowed? All this in addition to the product on the ice and very tough economic times financially for many. Yikes!
Sudbury allows for more spectators in stands, North Bay capped at 50 | North Bay Nugget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad