Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread, Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oct 3, 2019
There were many hero's yesterday. Maggio was a "Hunter Target" and with "Poetic Justice ", scores the winner, Mailloux chased and cross checked Zito once to many, D'Amico scores 2 (wasn't target), taunted Onuska and he outplayed Brochu, Gilmartin cross checked Heneault 7 times on the one play behind the net (even when down), but never stopped Heneault from playing solid.

The league should look at the amount of (unprovoked) crosschecks, (remember cleaning up head shots?) London delivered, and suspend Hunter appropriately.!!!

i agree. No room for stuff like this

Reactions: Section 103

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
Well I felt like I was watching a game at the barn. Have not seen that type of game for a few years. London trying to send a message backfired. Just another 2 points on the standings in the end but it sure was some kinda game to get there.

On the London thread they said Windsor needed to "stay classy"? Really ! London players running at Spits players with high hits, their captain gets an unsportsman penalty after scoring a goal, Mailloux taunting the Windsor bench and chasing Zito around for the better part of the game! I think the green glasses got a little fogged up yesterday.
Maybe they should have played like McSorley, he never had one penalty and really wasn't noticed out there.

Zito/ Mailloux - Mailloux chased and taunted Zito and the Spits for the most part of the game. Then when K-Zito finally had enough Mailloux wasn't ready for a fight? What the heck did he expect would happen after acting like a goon all game?

Either way it was fun stuff to watch- done with the Knights now unless they meet in the playoffs. There, I will just take a couple of deep breaths and I will be good.

Spits D - this was one of their best games. Kept London on the outside for the most part, clogging the middle as needed. Really happy with the play of DeAngelis and Sobolev. When you don't notice a D on the ice that is a good thing and no glaring errors from either this game. And a nice timely goal from DeAngelis made for a good game for him.

Can we trade for George in the off season? I think he is London's best D. Really impressed with his game.

Did someone say there is some kind of goalie thing going on in Windsor? Onuska was solid. All we've asked for is steady goaltending to give them a shot and we saw this all weekend. Wonder if he does the 3 in 3 this weekend as well?

OS on Thursday. They are a potential first round opponent so need to expect another intense game. Go Spits Go!
Mailloux is a dirty player and got what he deserved.

member 71782

3 games in less than 48 hours had the Spits starting slow in the 1st but before the period was over they led 3-1.

The 2nd was a bit of back and forth with London getting the only goal.

London gets the 1st goal of the 3rd and Windsor answered back. Windsor never gave up the lead after that.

Common theme throughout the game? Chippy, physical, nasty. A lot of dislike between these two teams bubbling up.

London controlled the game more than the Spits on the clock but Windsor stayed with them, took advantage of their chances and had an answer for everything they brought.

Onuska is inexperienced and it shows at times but you can see his confidence growing each game. Going from being a back up with 5 games, traded to one of your former teams biggest rivals then taking over the starter's role during a time where off ice issues appear to be a big disruption. It can't be easy on him but he's meeting the challenge. Hopefully a couple of starts against some lower ranked teams gives him a chance to lower the goals against a bit and further build his confidence.

Definitely a good weekend for their place in the standings. Now time to focus on catching Flint.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Can you imagine the phone call this morning from somewhere in downtown London? H--- but ya Mr Branch they played dirty and checked our players! We had to hit them high and hurt them! We need to keep our "classy" image in tack. Thanks for your help Dave, as always your friends in the West.

I hope people take this for what it is, humor.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lmao it’s a hoot how quickly knights fans get goofy! Don’t usually troll their site but it’s kinda fun!!
Listen Hunter loves to play head games. I’m sure he set the tone for how he wanted it played and likely had mcsoarly handcuffed so it wasn’t obvious. It backfired simple as that. I’m convinced Windsor is the better team, Brochiu has been the difference no question. Great time to get in his head. We’ve popped a few in last games. They’ve had our number, been in the teams head no argument, but I’m hoping we’ve turned the corner. Imho spits play 60 min of solid hockey every game and they win a 7 game series.

Last edited:

Oct 3, 2019
Lmao it’s a hoot how quickly knights fans get goofy! Don’t usually troll their site but it’s kinda fun!!
Listen Hunter loves to play head games. I’m sure he set the tone for how he wanted it played and likely had mcsoarly handcuffed so it wasn’t obvious. It backfired simple as that. I’m convinced Windsor is the better team, Brochiu has been the difference no question. Great time to get in his head. We’ve popped a few in last games. They’ve had our number, been in the teams head no argument, but I’m hoping we’ve turned the corner. Imho spits play 60 min of solid hockey every game and they win a 7 game series.

The problem is playing physical is one thing but to try and injure our players is not cool.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
The problem is playing physical is one thing but to try and injure our players is not cool.
But that’s Hunter. He’s not a good coach period. He manipulates the system, with help from his bil, always up to something. I’ve heard him talk about his own players. Happened at a London restaurant, he wouldn’t remember me. We sat back to back and he ranted about a few of his own guys to some guys he hires out for. Terrible! He can sense Windsor is coming that’s usually when he breaks out the rough behaviour. I’m love it cause Windsor is usually up to the task!

spits

Jul 24, 2013
London fans stating the Spitfires need to 'stay classy' is hilarious considering they are the goons who received two 5 min majors. Their captain punches Cuylle in the back after scoring his goal shows they frustrated the Knights team. Mailloux going after Zito all game and finally gets clocked. Credit to the coaching staff, the team looks completely different from the first 20 games.

Funny how certain posters have gone silent. Must really bother these posters seeing guys D'Amico playing well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
London fans stating the Spitfires need to 'stay classy' is hilarious considering they are the goons who received two 5 min majors. Their captain punches Cuylle in the back after scoring his goal shows they frustrated the Knights team. Mailloux going after Zito all game and finally gets clocked. Credit to the coaching staff, the team looks completely different from the first 20 games.

Funny how certain posters have gone silent. Must really bother these posters seeing guys D'Amico playing well.

Agree about D'amico
He is playing well,6 points 3G in his last 6 games,8 points, 5G in his last 11
In fact he has 1 more goal then OA's for London Baber and McSorley combined 15-14
Also his 34 points is 1 less then the 2 players listed above combined.
McSorley lowest scoring OA forward in the O,2G,7A,how London fans are fine with for an OA is beyond me,an 18 or 19 year old,23rd man on the roster maybe,Baber decent player would not have him for an oa spot though.
Waiting for a London fan response ,fair criticism is not appreciated,
3-2-1 . Lol

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
McSorley lowest scoring OA forward in the O,2G,7A,how London fans are fine with for an OA is beyond me,an 18 or 19 year old,23rd man on the roster maybe,Baber decent player would not have him for an oa spot though.

I guess it depends on what their other options were. They didn't give up much for McS and he fills a niche role for the playoffs. I was kind of expecting him to start stuff yesterday, too.

As for D'Amico - he's not going to score 25-30 but he'll play a solid two-way game, brings energy, and experience. Again, without knowing who was available at the deadline, it's tough to say "we could have gotten better." That's not necessarily the case. I like what he brings... as long as your expectations aren't too high.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Will disagree with you about McSorley,yes price was cheap,but a team with 3 OA, players they need to be productive and getting regular 3 line ice time as a forward, and a top 4 D,not a 10-12 forward or a 6-7 D,especially if a team wants to contend.
I would say the same thing if Windsor had Mcsorley or someone like him as an OA,London appears to be only team among contenders that employes such a guy.
I agree with you about D'amico .

Reactions: OHLTG

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Not a fan of the after fight antics by London players, NHL players or any players. Just me thou. 14 shouldn't have given Cullye the tap either after the goal. But the chest thumping, spazzing out I just find too much.
Punches Cullye in the back lol. That's one interpretation I guess......

Reactions: Otto

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Like I said, it depends on who was available at the time. If there were better options (for the same style) for a reasonable price, then sure, go get them instead. But, without knowing that, I'm not going to get on them. In the playoffs, that grit will be valuable... though extent is unknown.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if McS sits games in the POs. No biggie, next player up.
Teams have won with n without impact OAs with or without impact Imports, with great Gs n average goalies, high scoring D n low scoring D.
No one formula is perfect.

As I've said all year, Spits are in the group in the top half that have a shot at the Western Conference. Enjoy.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Can you imagine the phone call this morning from somewhere in downtown London? H--- but ya Mr Branch they played dirty and checked our players! We had to hit them high and hurt them! We need to keep our "classy" image in tack. Thanks for your help Dave, as always your friends in the West.

I hope people take this for what it is, humor.

Humour or just plain true and typical?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not a fan of the after fight antics by London players, NHL players or any players. Just me thou. 14 shouldn't have given Cullye the tap either after the goal. But the chest thumping, spazzing out I just find too much.
I guess you weren't a fan of the Rupert twins then? :)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agree about D'amico
He is playing well,6 points 3G in his last 6 games,8 points, 5G in his last 11
In fact he has 1 more goal then OA's for London Baber and McSorley combined 15-14
Also his 34 points is 1 less then the 2 players listed above combined.
Waiting for a London fan response ,fair criticism is not appreciated,
3-2-1 . Lol

He is so streaky.
Should be lower in lines.

Reactions: stips

Oct 3, 2019

I agree with you, but from what I hear this goes a little deeper than what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad