Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
IMO, if the Spits are going to make a coaching, TL needs to be fired before the draft. If they are planning on hiring a new coach, they can't have TL running the prospects camp. That would be a disaster. All the new players come in and get welcomed by a coach that is fired a month later makes no sense. I would rather have Rychel running the ice for camp if the new coach isn't on board.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
WR can not accept the coaching mismanagement that we witnessed this year.

New coach...new hope!

I agree with what your saying.....but they dont want to give TL the 2 playoff gates plus some to pay him out.

Lets see what happens when Boogie comes back after the Panthers season is done.Will he clean up this mess since he has controlling shares.

Or with whats happening in this cities economy will he sell out and leave it all behind.???

Arron Backhouse

Mar 25, 2019
who should be the new coach & should it just TL who gets the boot? i personally feel that WR should just clean house and hire a whole new staff except for weber who was just brought in & maybe you give TL until christmas time to see if hes able to make things click with a new staff you just hire his replacement as an assistant then promote him once you cut ties with TL this way you just need to look for an assistant to sign for the rest of the year like they did with weber

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
No no no. The D under Weber was worse!! He wants to keep a coach???? Sorry but your losing STM’s!!!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Draft picks can be traded starting this week ( not sure of the when until when part). Wonder if Warren makes a move to get another 2nd or 3rd this year? It would cost but it is more in the wheelhouse on when you want the player to be ready if you draft this year. I could see a second and 3rd from the future for a 2nd now. Not the best MO to compete but Spits are painted into a corner and you know he wants to win.

Weber not the most popular Asst coach and as mentioned above him being a rookie coach has show on the ice. Still think he will stay on.

Reactions: aresknights

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
I agree with what your saying.....but they dont want to give TL the 2 playoff gates plus some to pay him out.

Lets see what happens when Boogie comes back after the Panthers season is done.Will he clean up this mess since he has controlling shares.

Or with whats happening in this cities economy will he sell out and leave it all behind.???

STM could only hope that BB comes back to cleanup the mess!!!!!!!!

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Perhaps the Spits might be able to snatch a 2nd from the Pete's who have (2) 1sts and at least (2) 2nds...
I was checking into the date of the rookie camp..could find nothing concrete but think I remember an old post from Legend saying it was the 11th
of April... but been wrong before ... a little birdy says it’s probably the 13th

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The Spitfires' awards handed out today;

Player of the Year - Douglas
Defenceman of Year - Corcoran
Rookie of Year - Foudy
Most Improved - Angle
Greatest on/off ice commitment - Purboo
Hardest Working - Boka
Community Service - Corcoran/Angle
Academic - Frasca

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Rookie of Year - Foudy
Most Improved - Angle
Hardest Working - Boka
Academic - Frasca

Who voted on these?
Bad. Very bad.

Reactions: Sec108

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
These votes are indicative of the leadership. Their loyalty to certain players is drastically flawed. No wonder players quit on this team!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few of them make sense, such as Foudy (ROY), Angle (Most Improved), and Boka (hardest worker). Douglas could be argued for Player of Year given his overall game. I'm not sold on Corcoran but I know that he's been put in a tough spot.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A few of them make sense, such as Foudy (ROY), Angle (Most Improved), and Boka (hardest worker). Douglas could be argued for Player of Year given his overall game. I'm not sold on Corcoran but I know that he's been put in a tough spot.
I'm actually not even sure who I would pick for player of the year - this was a tough choice. I see a large group of the same type/style and skill level so who do you pick? I would have liked to see Angle with a healthy year - maybe he takes the edge on that one?

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Realistically, you could make a case for a few players.

Douglas - career-high in points/goals, always standing up for teammates, out for big minutes, etc.
Angle - career year, under-rated, never stopped working.
Purboo - great in the community, career stats (despite being inconsistent).

member 71782

Rookie of Year - Foudy
Most Improved - Angle
Hardest Working - Boka
Academic - Frasca

Team awards are what they are.

Douglas IMO gets it simply because he managed to score regardless of who he had as linemates. Besides that, everyone was inconsistent so is there really any other choice?

Corcoran gets it because of the role he had to take on. Was he head and shoulders above the rest? No but he was the furthest out of where he should have been playing.

Foudy is very deserving and while not meant as a knock against Cuylle in anyway Foudy probably showed more progression in his game while Cuylle, like almost every other rookie was inconsistent at times. Both going forward are huge pieces to this team.

Angle is deserving. I had him as expendable at the start of the season and he became an integral part of the team.

Purboo is a question mark. On ice I disagree and off ice I can't say but simply from what is on display every game I don't agree with this.

Boka no issue. Does he have the skill set to be used how he was? No but that's on Letowski. Did he give it his all? Yes. Can't confuse limitations or inconsistencies with work ethic. If it translated to better results I think no one would question this but like Corcoran being put in a spot to do something beyond your abilities is never going to look goid.

Angle/Corcorab I have no clue here. I'm sure a lot of players are fairly involved in the community.

Frasca, all I know is he has been mentioned for his schooling before so I would imagine it's appropriate.

Team awards, they are simply recognition from within.

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
Just read the McTavish told Peterborough that he wouldn’t report if they drafted him in the fifth spot. He is better than a goal and a half per game on his junior team. We know that Rychel loves NHL bloodlines! With McTavish and the Russian obtained in the trade, the Spits scoring potential has dramatically improved.
Question, I was very impressed with the Evans kid at the fall camp. Tall, skates well and showed no panic with the puck, is he a possibility for next year? He will improved the back end

Reactions: ohloutsider

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Just read the McTavish told Peterborough that he wouldn’t report if they drafted him in the fifth spot. He is better than a goal and a half per game on his junior team. We know that Rychel loves NHL bloodlines! With McTavish and the Russian obtained in the trade, the Spits scoring potential has dramatically improved.
Question, I was very impressed with the Evans kid at the fall camp. Tall, skates well and showed no panic with the puck, is he a possibility for next year? He will improved the back end
Being as today is April Fools day I will make no promises,comments or predictions. There's no fool like an old fool...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Ya never know - it is why we follow junior hockey - a teams fortune can change on a dime.

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
OHL Outsiders posted theMctavish information about he refusal to go to Peterborough. The the arena problems they have and previous players refusing to go there, I’m not surprised at all. Not an attempt at an April fools joke. I’m still wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the Evans kid

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Spitfires announce that Trevor Letowski has signed a 2 year contract extension.
I don't think anyone fell for that April Fool's joke...and yes I'm joking.

Not sure who is more disappointed / satisfied to hear this an April 01st joke, Windsor Fans or the rest of the league?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I’m still wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the Evans kid

he committed to school. to be honest im not sure he was as high and as sold, he didnt make the u17 national team and didnt make the 5 nation team, which is the 'backup' national team. he played u18 as well this year, which isnt where top players go (most go ntdp/ushl). he committed to brown, which isnt a high end hockey school. not sure that he is what was hyped based on all that evidence

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Curious to see if Rychel considers local goalie Donoso. Curious to see if he considers any goalie early or truly believes in Medina coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad