Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Dilkens just closed all restaurants (minus takeout/delivery), bars/nightclubs, places of worship, private schools, and daycares. In other words... I'm pretty much in lockdown for the next while. Awesome.

Reactions: Cherrydon

member 71782

Dilkens just closed all restaurants (minus takeout/delivery), bars/nightclubs, places of worship, private schools, and daycares. In other words... I'm pretty much in lockdown for the next while. Awesome.

So you're saying we're going to be blessed with increased posts from you on here as you try to deal with boredom?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
NASCAR just announced all events till May 3 postponed. More postponed events to come if required. Let's put the bickering aside. Health first, hockey second. At least on here we can at least communicate with fellow Spits fans during this unprecedented times in any of our lifetimes. How many thousands did you loose today on your pension investments. Take another 10% off of what you had yesterday.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
According to OHL Insiders there is a GM's call tomorrow. Teams are hoping to have receive answers how the #OHLDraft selection order will be decided. The OHL Draft is scheduled for two weeks from Saturday (Apr. 4)
Speaking of April 4th it's been nearly a year since news broke about the potential sale of the Spits to 'Smiles R Us'. Wonder how things are progressing with the rumored sale these days. You'd have to think the value of the team is much lower.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So this is out in the open... what ARE the details that are currently known regarding the rumoured sale? I've heard minor chit-chat, but that's it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Per the Spitfires:

".... From now until Monday, Apr. 6, 2020, the offices of the Windsor Spitfires Hockey Club will be closed. "

It continues on to say full-time staff will continue to be employed and part-time staff will be compensated for the Mar 12 and Mar 19th games as if they were played. The team will also explore ways to support and assist community/business partners. Health and safety of all is their priority.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
According to OHL Insiders there is a GM's call tomorrow. Teams are hoping to have receive answers how the #OHLDraft selection order will be decided. The OHL Draft is scheduled for two weeks from Saturday (Apr. 4)
Speaking of April 4th it's been nearly a year since news broke about the potential sale of the Spits to 'Smiles R Us'. Wonder how things are progressing with the rumored sale these days. You'd have to think the value of the team is much lower.

A lot lower

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Im surprised the ohl hasn't canceled.
Holding out for hope i guess.

They will do it shortly. It's not like they don't have time to announce it. Other leagues have just done it sooner but it the scheme of things it doesn't matter when they announcer it. Everybody is pretty much ready to hear that there won't be hockey.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Baseball is now aiming to start in May, which is probably more of a wish than anything. Golf has postponed 2 Majors, The Masters and The PGA. The PGA was scheduled for early May. The NHL and NBA have not as yet given any indication. The Kentucky Derby will be run in September. The common theme is that all events in March, April and early May are off. Depending on the news, it could go much longer.

I believe the OHL will cancel the regular season tomorrow. They will eventually fall in line with what others are thinking. I believe they will do everything possible to save the Memorial Cup. I do not see the Memorial Cup being canceled until Late April or Early May. If they can save the Mem Cup, the playoffs will involve fewer teams than planned (bye-bye Spits) and the series will probably be shortened. While, I am not saying the Mem Cup will be played, the CHL will try to hang on as long as possible before they slaughter their cash cow. No one realistically has a clue as to what the next month or so will bring. I am conflicted because I believe closing everything will keep the virus from spreading as quickly as it has in China and Italy. However, I am retired and I am bored as hell.

I am hoping that both Canada and the US (I am American) can learn from what has been done correctly and incorrectly in Asia and Europe. A vaccine has been developed and it is starting to be tested in the State of Washington (so far, that seems to be worst hit area).

Last edited:

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Im surprised the ohl hasn't canceled.
Holding out for hope i guess.
I believe the reason they haven't canceled is because the Board of Governors hasn't met since the season has been paused. A decision of that magnitude needs to be addressed by the Board of Governors, which is scheduled to meet tomorrow. This decision should not be left to 1 person (Branch). Even though, the decision is obvious, delaying the decision a day or two hasn't hurt anything. I believe all of the arenas are closed until early April at least. Getting the BoG together, even via Conference Call is no easy tasks since many of them have non-hockey businesses that are also needing attention.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If the draft goes by winning percentage Spits pick 14th. If there is a lottery for the draft Spits will pick 20th;).
Might as well fire up the conspiracy theories now. :popcorn:

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
If the draft goes by winning percentage Spits pick 14th. If there is a lottery for the draft Spits will pick 20th;).
Might as well fire up the conspiracy theories now. :popcorn:
I believe they will use the final standings, though they should use percentage instead of points because of the uneven number of games. Without looking, I don't know whether that would even change the order. Remember over 90% of the season was completed.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just looked - it wouldn't change the order. Save for Mississauga (61) and SSM (64), all teams are within a GP of each other. The points and winning percentage doesn't change anything.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
OHL Conference calls today at 8AM and 11AM per twitter...

The @OHLHockey
has a #Governors Conference Call at 8 am. It's expected the
@OHLHockey
will cancel the regular season
2) After
@OHLHockey
Governor's Call, there will be a 2nd Conference Call at 11 am for League General ManagersThe agenda isn't known. The call could be quick, or it could include 10 various topics incl #Playoffs #PrioritySelection
@CHLMemorialCup

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Ottawa sens player tested positive. NBA new players announced daily. Shows how slow this disease can take after an exposure. That's the scary thing for sports moving forward anytime in the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad