Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
it's an area where a lot of people on here have varying opinions.

I've given him credit at times this year but his track record, not just in Windsor is quite a bit different than what we've seen so far this season.

If people want to say last year he had outside influence/interference that's fine but since last year basically was the same as every other year he was a HC is that evidence he was always being influenced or interfered with?

Or was it simply a team talking point to justify keeping him?

He's doing better with a completely different approach for the most part. Is this all on him while last year and every other year was on someone else?

If this is all on him, hope he keeps it going but it's a pretty big change in style from his entire history to this year. Last year was not an isolated season.
I thought he did a good job in Sarnia his last year with a group of young kids and overachieved a bit before Hatcher bought team to coach.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With Stevenson out i wonder if Jodoin get the call up

Been told Stevenson is in concussion protocol out 7-10 days.
Would not be surprised Jodoin gets called up,dont think tomorrow 's game counts against his B card ,of which he has 8 left,next weeks games would count.

member 71782

I thought he did a good job in Sarnia his last year with a group of young kids and overachieved a bit before Hatcher bought team to coach.

Fair enough, as I said there's a lot of varying opinions on here concerning Letowski.

He's doing much better this year in terms of how the team is playing, systems etc than at anytime in the past. Regardless of what has happened in the past what is currently happening and him, like the players shows progression is what's important.

It's easy to give credit when things are going well, it's when things turn down for a period and how it's handled that'll show how much he's improved.

What was the difference between last year and the previous year and was the interference that's been suggested strictly related to last year?

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
Would not be surprised Jodoin gets called up,dont think tomorrow 's game counts against his B card ,of which he has 8 left,next weeks games would count.
I don’t think Jodoin has been good enough to get a call up. Probably go with 5 D

member 71782

Obviously not a goid situation and even though Jodoin would only see a few shifts there's no point leaving yourself short staffed when you have a player available for call up.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Fair enough, as I said there's a lot of varying opinions on here concerning Letowski.

He's doing much better this year in terms of how the team is playing, systems etc than at anytime in the past. Regardless of what has happened in the past what is currently happening and him, like the players shows progression is what's important.

It's easy to give credit when things are going well, it's when things turn down for a period and how it's handled that'll show how much he's improved.

What was the difference between last year and the previous year and was the interference that's been suggested strictly related to last year?
From everything i’ve heard it was more last year. Things just seem to get worse as season went on. Don’t get me wrong tho player maturing has been a factor also. Team just looks different in how they play.

member 71782

From everything i’ve heard it was more last year. Things just seem to get worse as season went on. Don’t get me wrong tho player maturing has been a factor also. Team just looks different in how they play.

That's where the interference last year becomes questionable.

Two years in a row the systems/approach was the same yet only last year there was interference.

This year, I agree that there has been a change, hopefully it continues but two years one way, Rychel gets thrown under the bus for one of them, and everyone knows I wasn't one of Rychel's biggest supporters but this year it's a turn around for Letowski.

For me I want to see more from Letowski before I fully buy in. For now, yes there's been change and improvement, let's see it continue for more than 15 games.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I don't think it's a move they make if they plan on running with basically what they have. It's only a move they make if they're already looking to move someone else out. I certainly wouldn't want to see them add a youngster just to rotate in and out, we've already seen that with Maggio in the early going and it would be a waste of assets at this time.

Now making a move like this may signal what direction they're planning on going.

Regardless of what I would like to see them do I don't see them doing much as of this point in time. With not much coming out it's hard to even speculate beyond personal preferences for what anyone of us would like to see happen this year.

I was just curious what others thought if Windsor were to or if they should make an acquisition like this.
It's actually not that hard to speculate on what the team will do at all. New ownership/management with an empty building, but a veteran laden first place nationally ranked squad have an obvious choice of what to do. Derp. They are going to try to put a good team on the ice, they even signaled as much when they kicked the tires on Merkley. You should be speculating on which players would be good veteran additions for Johnson or the Staios picks at the deadline, because that's what the facts point at happening quite clearly. Your inexplicable and indefensible desire for selling at the deadline doesn't change those facts.

Great character come back win by the team tonight, it would have been easy to cash it in and get ready for Saginaw but they dug in and took over in the 3rd. I thought Douglas was great, he really seemed to be a big part of firing up the squad and sparking the come back. Pretty good for a guy criticized in the past on here for not being engaged enough, he looked like Messier out there tonight. Medina had an off night but Piiroinen bailed him out. It was clear he hadn't played a game in a while, the goofy schedule bit him tonight but he'll be fine once he can get in there every weekend again. Watching this team fight back into games gives me the same feeling I got from the Hall era Spitfires who never gave up no matter what the score, this team feels special in that same way. Looking forward to a big test against Cole Perfarty and the rest of the Saggy sacks tomorrow.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits rookie forward Wyatt Johnston away at the -17 tourney out West,helped lead his team to a 5th place finish in the event yesterday scoring a goal and an assist,as his team defeated Sweden 6-2.
He finished the tournament with 5 points in 5 games,2G,3A,14 Pim,tied with the team lead in points,with 2 others, both not OHL players.
He is not expected in Windsor till tonight.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That was a true "tale of two games"... the Spitfires' team we've come to appreciate and the team where we scratch our heads. Fortunately, they found a way, despite doing that the hard way. Take the two points, learn the lessons, and move onto tomorrow.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
From the department of it helps to have scoring depth in the lineup so far this year, after witnessing Windsor's 6-4 comeback victory last night their 7th in a row, 5th straight at home.
5 of Windsor's top 7 point getters going into the game last night,including team leaders Tyler Angle(20),Egor Afanaseyev (14),along with Daniel D'amico,Connor Corcoran, Rueben Raftkin,didnt register a point,yet the team scored 6 goals.
Louka Henault with 3 point night all assists,jumped into the lead defenseman wise for Windsor ,now has 14 points, to surpass Corcoran and Rafkin who both have 12.
Jean Lou Foudy also a had a 3 point game 1G,2A,to jump into 2nd place in team scoring with 16 points,7G,9A,should be noted Foudy had 8 goals all last year.
Curtis Douglas scored twice last night as did Will Cuylle, who seems to be coming out of a season starting scoring funk,now has 3G,1A in his last 2 games,after starting 1G,6A in the 1st 13 games.
Last season the Spits had 2 players after the 15 game mark in double digits with points,Foudy and Cuylle,this year it's at 11,including 3D,with Kyle McDonald knocking at the door with 9 points.
Spits as of now hold the 2nd highest goals for average per game in the league at 4. 80,Sarnia is #1 at 4.88
Should be noted though that Windsor's goals against average is 3.53,while Sarnia's is 5.00.
Also during Windsor's current 7 game winning streak Spits are averaging 6.35 goals for and 3.55 against but what has impressed me of late in particular the last 4 games is the shots against,last night North Bay,had only 18 shots,last Saturday at the Sault, the Hounds had only 19,and prior to those 2,only 23 shots against by Sudbury and 22 by SSM,82 shots against in the last 4 is impressive to say the least.

Today against the Saginaw Spirit,if the Spits play like they did in the 1st and in the last period of last nights game they should be fine.
Cant play like they did in the 2nd,hanging Medina in the lurch,with more giveaways then Christmas Eve.
No doubt in my mind Piironen will get the start this afternoon as his game has picked up lately.
Saginaw will be a good test for this group,they trail Windsor by a single point 23-22,though Windsor has 3 games in hand,and still will have after today's encounter.
In fact Windsor and Kitchener both have played the fewest games in the league to date at 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cherrydon

member 71782

It's actually not that hard to speculate on what the team will do at all. New ownership/management with an empty building, but a veteran laden first place nationally ranked squad have an obvious choice of what to do. Derp. They are going to try to put a good team on the ice, they even signaled as much when they kicked the tires on Merkley. You should be speculating on which players would be good veteran additions for Johnson or the Staios picks at the deadline, because that's what the facts point at happening quite clearly. Your inexplicable and indefensible desire for selling at the deadline doesn't change those facts.

Great character come back win by the team tonight, it would have been easy to cash it in and get ready for Saginaw but they dug in and took over in the 3rd. I thought Douglas was great, he really seemed to be a big part of firing up the squad and sparking the come back. Pretty good for a guy criticized in the past on here for not being engaged enough, he looked like Messier out there tonight. Medina had an off night but Piiroinen bailed him out. It was clear he hadn't played a game in a while, the goofy schedule bit him tonight but he'll be fine once he can get in there every weekend again. Watching this team fight back into games gives me the same feeling I got from the Hall era Spitfires who never gave up no matter what the score, this team feels special in that same way. Looking forward to a big test against Cole Perfarty and the rest of the Saggy sacks tomorrow.

Hey superstar fan is back to cherry pick what he disagrees with just to stir the pot.

If you actually weren't cherry picking things you would realize I said a while ago it would have been nice to have put a package together with Staois to get Kaliyev. But that wouldn't give you a chance to tell everyone how to be a fan like you are. Hope you've enjoyed finally having the chance to dust off that big blue ribbon that says #1 fan recently.

It's not hard to realize, no actual speculation required that a poor product for most of the last decade is why they have an empty building and it's going to take more than one good season to fill the building up again. You may be desperate for a winning team, most fans that have literally left the building want a winning more than one out of every five yers though. So you keep cheering for business as usual, you'll soon have even more empty seats to choose from when you renew every year.

They had a great comeback against the second worst team in the league that was embarrassing this nationally ranked team. A character win? Or a team finally realizing they have to actually play to win? Agree, good to see them comeback in a game they should never have found themselves in that position, hope you didn't ruin that ribbon with all the excitement from such a huge victory.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
QUOTE="Crease Master, post: 166500319, member: 279993"]It's actually not that hard to speculate on what the team will do at all. New ownership/management with an empty building, but a veteran laden first place nationally ranked squad have an obvious choice of what to do. Derp. They are going to try to put a good team on the ice, they even signaled as much when they kicked the tires on Merkley. You should be speculating on which players would be good veteran additions for Johnson or the Staios picks at the deadline, because that's what the facts point at happening quite clearly. Your inexplicable and indefensible desire for selling at the deadline doesn't change those facts.

Great character come back win by the team tonight, it would have been easy to cash it in and get ready for Saginaw but they dug in and took over in the 3rd. I thought Douglas was great, he really seemed to be a big part of firing up the squad and sparking the come back. Pretty good for a guy criticized in the past on here for not being engaged enough, he looked like Messier out there tonight. Medina had an off night but Piiroinen bailed him out. It was clear he hadn't played a game in a while, the goofy schedule bit him tonight but he'll be fine once he can get in there every weekend again. Watching this team fight back into games gives me the same feeling I got from the Hall era Spitfires who never gave up no matter what the score, this team feels special in that same way. Looking forward to a big test against Cole Perfarty and the rest of the Saggy sacks tomorrow.[/QUOTE]. So let’s break this down, ownership is not new at all, WR is gone and they restructured the percentages but they are the same owners! Veteran laden lineup??? Lotsa of young on this team! They kicked the tires on Merkley as a favour to BB and a possible trade chop at the deadline. He was never coming to stay. Your “ facts” aren’t facts it’s pure fiction!! A comeback win feels special??? Lol against that team??? Your easily excited I see. Nice win tonight but a contender doesn’t get in the position they put themselves in. You folks need to calm down a tad lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: member 71782

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with win.
First period was ok. Coaches didnt have them prepared again - growing trend. The opponent was not too hard and the opponents offence wasnt going to lite the team on fire, yet Windsor didnt do much at all and let them hang around for the game.
2nd period was just a shit show. Worst period all year.
Again like "most" games, Windsor had to come back in the 3rd period again and win the game. This will eventually bit them in the ass. How they can only play 1 period is beyond me. R they not good enough to play a full game?
Medina was pulled, though none of the goals were his fault. It was shitty defense.
Nice to see Cullye and Foudy get points. I like to see Mcdonald get more ice time. He is developing to be a good player. But i doubt the coaching gives it to him.
I would like to see something different on the pp if that is possible. They are trying to set up #11 all the time. Teams have caught on to this and are taking away the cross ice pass to him. He cant be the only one on the team with a good shot. Try something different coaching!

Reactions: Cherrydon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor 7

The numbers in the last 7,5,and 2 games do not support your call for changing the PP,in the last 7 games the Spits are 13-29 for a 44.83 rate,last 5 they are 9-23 for a 39.13% rate,and in the last 2 they are 6-11 for a 54.55%
rate.
Overall they are 2nd in the league on the PP at 31.55%.
Like I said numbers dont lie

Reactions: scokan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - well that was not pretty, yes they won but keep going back to the come from behind shelf and sooner than later it will be empty.

Felt for Medina - hung out to dry and a little rusty is not a good combo.

Foudy - forgot to post his other 2 assists, you know, the ones where he gave to puck to NB and they scored. Its at the point I get nervous when he gets the puck in the Spits end.

Cuylle - hope the third period is the key to getting him going. Need more of that.

Boka - please don't trade this kid - he shouldered the team in the third and got them going. We need this type of leadership.

A fan close by at the end of the 2nd period shouted out - we got them right were we want them, I thought this time no way, but I was wrong. I remember back to the 2009 Spits. They never started playing until the other team scored a goal. Almost seemed they stopped playing after we scored the 1st goal. Go figure.

NB - don't worry about your goal tending - it is going to be a bright spot for your future.

Saginaw in town - this is a good litmus test for both teams - see how far the Spits will fall behind before they come back for a win.:)

Angle is playing today and then heading to London after the game.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor 7

The numbers in the last 7,5,and 2 games do not support your call for changing the PP,in the last 7 games the Spits are 13-29 for a 44.83 rate,last 5 they are 9-23 for a 39.13% rate,and in the last 2 they are 6-11 for a 54.55%
rate.
Overall they are 2nd in the league on the PP at 31.55%.
Like I said numbers dont lie

#Tunnel vision

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Hey superstar fan is back to cherry pick what he disagrees with just to stir the pot.

If you actually weren't cherry picking things you would realize I said a while ago it would have been nice to have put a package together with Staois to get Kaliyev. But that wouldn't give you a chance to tell everyone how to be a fan like you are. Hope you've enjoyed finally having the chance to dust off that big blue ribbon that says #1 fan recently.

It's not hard to realize, no actual speculation required that a poor product for most of the last decade is why they have an empty building and it's going to take more than one good season to fill the building up again. You may be desperate for a winning team, most fans that have literally left the building want a winning more than one out of every five yers though. So you keep cheering for business as usual, you'll soon have even more empty seats to choose from when you renew every year.

They had a great comeback against the second worst team in the league that was embarrassing this nationally ranked team. A character win? Or a team finally realizing they have to actually play to win? Agree, good to see them comeback in a game they should never have found themselves in that position, hope you didn't ruin that ribbon with all the excitement from such a huge victory.
The spits right now are a good product suffering because the local economy is in the toilet. I'm not sure how a first place team is evidence of a poor product, but then again I'm not the smart one who needs 10,000 words to say it was a good game.

Reactions: scokan

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
7-0 in the last 7 games with the PP numbers and per centage hardly is tunnel vision its success.
I do agree they need to change up the PP. but the thing i want changed is the stupid rush up the ice and pass back. That seems to struggle. They do better when they abandon that and just carry it into the zone. Other then that things seem to be working ok.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere

Difference to me between last year and previous year was in the previous year they tore everything now to build it back up again. The 1st year you are kinda seeing what you got and trying to figure things out. Plus the turn over he had makes it more difficult to implement systems when half way thru year you teaching different kids

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad