Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
So in other Spits related news

Wyatt Johnston has 1G - 1A in three games for Canada Red. Plays tonight versus Canada White in the quarter finals.

Egor Afanasyev plays for Russia in the Canada/Russia game tonight in Kitchener.

Has anyone seen any of the U17s? Wondering how Johnston has looked in the tourney.
You can stream it live,
WU17HC Nov 07 Canada White vs. Canada Red

Edit. You can replay any game as well. Just go to schedule, click on game you want and there is a watch tab.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Canada Red was defeated yesterday in the quarter finals by Canada White. So we should have Johnston available at some point this weekend. TSN2 is carrying the semi final tonight Canada white vs USA@9pm. TSN is also showing both the gold and bronze medal games tomorrow.

member 71782

Tyler Angle added to Team OHL for Canada-Russia Game 3 on Monday in London.

Good for Angle. He's made some solid strides the last season plus and nice to see him recognized for it. He may be a long shot to make the team but at least he has his foot in the door so hopefully he can get a decent chance to show what he can do.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Hope Spits aren't looking past this game to tomorrow against Saginaw. London took a bit last night to take NB serious.
Spits have played less games than everyone else in the Western conference - 1 point out of first with games in hand is a good thing.

Is Angle playing Sunday or does he head to London for the Russian game?

member 71782

Hope Spits aren't looking past this game to tomorrow against Saginaw. London took a bit last night to take NB serious.
Spits have played less games than everyone else in the Western conference - 1 point out of first with games in hand is a good thing.

I think Angle could be off to London tomorrow, thought I read a couple of other teams have players out Sunday to be in London ahead of Monday's game.

What about Afanasyev as well? Is he playing a second game for Russia and if so will he be playing tonight/tomorrow?

Agreed, they can't look past North Bay. What should be and could be are two completely different outcomes. Let's hope they stay focused on tonight.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

After a long time off the rest of players should be well rested...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think Angle could be off to London tomorrow, thought I read a couple of other teams have players out Sunday to be in London ahead of Monday's game.

What about Afanasyev as well? Is he playing a second game for Russia and if so will he be playing tonight/tomorrow?

Agreed, they can't look past North Bay. What should be and could be are two completely different outcomes. Let's hope they stay focused on tonight.
I don't believe Afanasyev plays in Mondays game.

member 71782

I don't believe Afanasyev plays in Mondays game.

That would be good for the team, if Johnston is back they can still dress a full roster. They haven't had a game yet where they've had to play short handed with only Johnston, Boka and D'Amico missing any games due to injury, suspension or the night off before heading to the U17s.

If Johnston is back for tonight's game I would imagine they give him the extra day of rest after the tournament and travel so he's ready to go Sunday.

member 71782

With North Bay in town tonight and the rumour being Cam Peters possibly being up for trade would he be someone Windsor would have any interest in if they decided to move out a couple of vets and added to the 02 group for the future?

He's an 02, has decent size, a 2ND round pick/29TH overall last year but with low numbers 3/5/8 in 67 games between last year and this year playing for Butler in North Bay. His MM numbers were solid though. Between the lack of production in North Bay and potentially wanting out his value would probably be reasonable/low. Not familiar with him so he would be one to watch tonight IF Windsor decided to add youth this year to build around a core of 02s/03s going forward.

Wouldn't want to see them spending assets just for the sake of spending assets but I wouldn't want to see them miss out on a young addition who needs a change of scenery just because they are indecisive either. IF they decide to move a few pieces out would this be a decent, cheap addition for Windsor going forward or is he what his numbers say he is and he's just not panning out at this level?

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While Butler's clubs aren't exactly known for their offence, I'm not against giving the kid a shot for a reasonable price, if we go that route.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
While Butler's clubs aren't exactly known for their offence, I'm not against giving the kid a shot for a reasonable price, if we go that route.
Who is coming out of the line-up to fit Peters in? I'm not sure he is an upgrade unless your moving out Playfair. Nice problem to have for once.

member 71782

Who is coming out of the line-up to fit Peters in? I'm not sure he is an upgrade unless your moving out Playfair. Nice problem to have for once.

I don't think it's a move they make if they plan on running with basically what they have. It's only a move they make if they're already looking to move someone else out. I certainly wouldn't want to see them add a youngster just to rotate in and out, we've already seen that with Maggio in the early going and it would be a waste of assets at this time.

Now making a move like this may signal what direction they're planning on going.

Regardless of what I would like to see them do I don't see them doing much as of this point in time. With not much coming out it's hard to even speculate beyond personal preferences for what anyone of us would like to see happen this year.

I was just curious what others thought if Windsor were to or if they should make an acquisition like this.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I don't think it's a move they make if they plan on running with basically what they have. It's only a move they make if they're already looking to move someone else out. I certainly wouldn't want to see them add a youngster just to rotate in and out, we've already seen that with Maggio in the early going and it would be a waste of assets ntial..at this time.

Now making a move like this may signal what direction they're planning on going.

Regardless of what I would like to see them do I don't see them doing much as of this point in time. With not much coming out it's hard to even speculate beyond personal preferences for what anyone of us would like to see happen this year.

I was just curious what others thought if Windsor were to or if they should make an acquisition like this.
While a Playfair for Peters trade has little downside on the surface it would be surprising at this stage of the season.
Playfair would probably benefit by the trade and Peters has some potential. However methinks NBay will want a little more to make the deal...

member 71782

While a Playfair for Peters trade has little downside on the surface it would be surprising at this stage of the season.
Playfair would probably benefit by the trade and Peters has some potential. However methinks NBay will want a little more to make the deal...

I don't think it would be for Playfair, North Bay is going young anf if Windsor were in on Peters it would show they're still focused on adding a bit more youth as well. Likely a picks only deal unless North Bay had interest in an 02 prospect not currently signed by Windsor.

Being a 2ND round pick it would likely cost a 2ND and a mid round pick. If any 02s were the ask going back I would pass. The kid may have potential but I doubt Butler is looking to add and Windsor certainly wouldn't be adding based on current progression.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
London yesterday had similar problem having to play better with lower placed team and escaped with a win. Is it our players, coach (probably both)? I wonder how mental maturity actually plays especially in younger age groups (I noticed similar problems with my younger son team). I talked to one of the spits coaches and I asked him what's wrong with Cuylle and he said "he's 17..."

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
We just got schooled by 10 rookies. Very embarrassing. If not for Kari making a couple of stellar saves, it would be even worse. Where do you start with the cough ups? Are we coming back to earth after a great start?

Reactions: windsor7

member 71782

OK, a game filled with the good, the bad and the ugly.

The first period was sloppy but Windsor still solidly controlled the play and came away with a 1-0 lead.

The second period was ugly. Windsor looked like a bunch of individuals who hadn't played together before, all trying to find a way to do it all themselves. Looked a lot like post deadline 2018/19 and North simply stood them up, broke up everything and took advantage of every chance they got. Pulling Medina was the right call. The team left him hanging and the kid shouldn't be in that position. He could've have easily been made the scape goat in a loss to one of the teams at the bottom of the standings. Wasn't his best game but the effort in front was much worse.

The third period Windsor finally took this game seriously. They can't rely on big third period comebacks especially against lower seeded teams. They've gotten away with it more often than not this season but when you're playing a lower seeded team it shouldn't have to come to that.

Good to see them keep winning even if it can be ugly at times.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
We've already got Letowski and still trying to figure out if he's suddenly improved or simply the players being given a bit more opportunity to play to their strengths.
There is nothing wrong with Letowski. He is finally able to coach the way he wants and not how he is told.

Reactions: aresknights

member 71782

There is nothing wrong with Letowski. He is finally able to coach the way he wants and not how he is told.

it's an area where a lot of people on here have varying opinions.

I've given him credit at times this year but his track record, not just in Windsor is quite a bit different than what we've seen so far this season.

If people want to say last year he had outside influence/interference that's fine but since last year basically was the same as every other year he was a HC is that evidence he was always being influenced or interfered with?

Or was it simply a team talking point to justify keeping him?

He's doing better with a completely different approach for the most part. Is this all on him while last year and every other year was on someone else?

If this is all on him, hope he keeps it going but it's a pretty big change in style from his entire history to this year. Last year was not an isolated season.

Reactions: Teflon and windsor7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad