Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If I'm Windsor, I'm comparing Luchuk to a former OHL OA sinper who was dealt two years ago - Stephen Harper. In that deal, it was Harper and a 7th for a former 8th round pick (I believe) in Krassey, plus two 2nds, a 3rd, and a 5th.

Since I believe Luchuk is more valuable, I'd up that a bit. I'd be looking at (from SSM) - Flint 2nd 2019, Gue 2nd 2020, Wsr 2nd 2021, SSM 3rd 2018, SSM 4th in 2019, and a prospect like Ryan Roth. I'd LIKE a top prospect but I'd imagine that's more reserved for Raddysh.

Luckuk is a big part of Windsor's proven PK and he's having a consistent career season. While he's an OA, he's the real deal and worth every penny.

Without spacing out picks, that’s steep! You’re counting on very little selling competition?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Without spacing out picks, that’s steep! You’re counting on very little selling competition?

5 picks and a 2000 born for Luchuk? Roth played Honeybaked last year and Rychel had his chance to draft him back in April and there were numerous available roster spots upcoming for this season.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Well at those prices I hope the Hounds GM passes. Of course this is just us fans setting what we think WE’D like the prices to be. There’s a big game of poker to be played between now and the deadline.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Do I think it'll be five picks plus a 2000? No. Do I think it'll be a couple of picks? No. If he's dealt, it'll be for a few really good picks (2nds and 3rds), plus maybe a 2000.

Mitchell Stephens wasn't an OA last season but he wasn't coming back this year. That was pretty much a given. He drew seven high picks and his stats weren't Luchuk's level. Spencer Watson drew four picks last November.

Side-note: Just because a free agent didn't come here doesn't mean we shouldn't acquire him now. Who knows what the situation was.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Do I think it'll be five picks plus a 2000? No. Do I think it'll be a couple of picks? No. If he's dealt, it'll be for a few really good picks (2nds and 3rds), plus maybe a 2000.

Mitchell Stephens wasn't an OA last season but he wasn't coming back this year. That was pretty much a given. He drew seven high picks and his stats weren't Luchuk's level. Spencer Watson drew four picks last November.

Side-note: Just because a free agent didn't come here doesn't mean we shouldn't acquire him now. Who knows what the situation was.

Both those players you mentioned offer something different from Luchuk.
One was a TC player and the other a proven year aft year sniper.
He wont get close to the return Stephens garnered.
Hes had a great 1/2 yr, was a good role player last year on a mid pack team that stepped up big in hosting the Cup.

He wont get the # or as many high end picks as Stephens. And isnt the sniper Watson was considered (and he was traded for before returning from injury- lowering his trade value)

Should be interesting thou to see who gets more to stock cupboards before deadline. Erie or Windsor?

Reactions: zman77

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Both those players you mentioned offer something different from Luchuk.
One was a TC player and the other a proven year aft year sniper.
He wont get close to the return Stephens garnered.
Hes had a great 1/2 yr, was a good role player last year on a mid pack team that stepped up big in hosting the Cup.

He wont get the # or as many high end picks as Stephens. And isnt the sniper Watson was considered (and he was traded for before returning from injury- lowering his trade value)

Should be interesting thou to see who gets more to stock cupboards before deadline. Erie or Windsor?

Good post. Take for instance last year a guy that finished with 28 goals but in 25 fewer games OA Spencer Watson. Watson cost 2 2nd's a 3rd and conditional 7th. Watson was consistently over a PPG player in his career. Luchuk well below that, he will be well above that this year.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

The Soo has been one of the best drafting teams in the OHL over the past 5-6 seasons. They're just not going to move picks and the potential of 160+ more games of Roth for a 30+ games of Luchuk and additional picks. That would be horrible asset management. Considering the Hounds lead the league in gf and ga maybe they will have interest in Luchuk but not at the cost of a guy like Roth. The Hounds will need Roth next year because most likely they will be losing Gettinger/Katchouk/Kopacka/Verbeek up front. No reason to move Roth in exchange for Luchuk and lose 2 more forwards in the process. The Spits should be happy if they could get a 2nd, 4th and some middle of the road prospect for Luchuk.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm confused; earlier you said WR could have grabbed Roth but didn't. Now, Roth is valuable? Am I reading this wrong or ?

A 2nd, 4th, and "Middle of the road prospect"? That's how little you value Luchuk? Come on. Let's be fair here. He's a proven goal scorer, proven on the PK, one of the better faceoff guys around, and a leader off the ice. Sorry, I don't buy it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I'm confused; earlier you said WR could have grabbed Roth but didn't. Now, Roth is valuable? Am I reading this wrong or ?

A 2nd, 4th, and "Middle of the road prospect"? That's how little you value Luchuk? Come on. Let's be fair here. He's a proven goal scorer, proven on the PK, one of the better faceoff guys around, and a leader off the ice. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Fact:Roth was a free agent signing
Fact: WR had an opportunity to sign just as 19 other teams did

Nothing of what I said speaks to Roth not being valuable. I made mention of how valuable Roth is because of being a 2000 he's still going to be in this league 2 years after this one. I already made mention of what Watson cost Mississauga and he was much better than Luchuk. It's not about what we value Luchuk or what WR values him at. It's what other teams value him at. For instance like I mentioned Soo leads the league in gf/ga Luchuk is a luxury to them not a need. They can find an OA D that would slot in very nicely with Timmins/Sandin/Hollowell/Carroll. The Hounds could move a guy like LeGuerrier who's a 2000 decent player who could help a rebuilding team.

I think Luchuk would fit much better with Barrie. They're in a division race with Niagara and want to make a run this year.

Thus far you have mentioned in separate posts Luchuk for 3 picks, 4 picks, 5 picks. So which one is it going to be?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Five picks would be ideal, but I'd take the four picks. Do I think Luchuk goes to SSM? Probably not. The Day rumours are louder at this point. Doesn't take away from the fact that Luchuk is worth more than a couple of picks.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Fact:Roth was a free agent signing
Fact: WR had an opportunity to sign just as 19 other teams did

Nothing of what I said speaks to Roth not being valuable. I made mention of how valuable Roth is because of being a 2000 he's still going to be in this league 2 years after this one. I already made mention of what Watson cost Mississauga and he was much better than Luchuk. It's not about what we value Luchuk or what WR values him at. It's what other teams value him at. For instance like I mentioned Soo leads the league in gf/ga Luchuk is a luxury to them not a need. They can find an OA D that would slot in very nicely with Timmins/Sandin/Hollowell/Carroll. The Hounds could move a guy like LeGuerrier who's a 2000 decent player who could help a rebuilding team.

I think Luchuk would fit much better with Barrie. They're in a division race with Niagara and want to make a run this year.

Thus far you have mentioned in separate posts Luchuk for 3 picks, 4 picks, 5 picks. So which one is it going to be?

ill never understand why everyone on here was crying over london signing josh nelson but didn't say anything about roth. this was the year to sign guys, not last year

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Good post. Take for instance last year a guy that finished with 28 goals but in 25 fewer games OA Spencer Watson. Watson cost 2 2nd's a 3rd and conditional 7th. Watson was consistently over a PPG player in his career. Luchuk well below that, he will be well above that this year.

luchuk sand watson are pretty good comparables, luchuk may go for more only because of inflation, i just hope they move him

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Owen Sound has apparently dealt with the '67's for goaltender Oliver Lafrenier. That's one less suitor for DiPietro's services, so the group of potential buyers just got smaller, and that potential for a huge return has shrunk. Granted, both are far from being equal, ability wise, but there's a reason that the Dollar Stores exist.

Could Headrick be viewed as a legitimate option over Day ? Both are OA's and would be viewed as short-term rentals, but when the asking price becomes a consideration, which player gets moved first.....and most importantly, at what cost ? Hasn't WR been down this road before ? By that, I mean setting his asking price so high, that opposing GM's just shrug, and go elsewhere to seek out deals more in line with their budgets ?

Reactions: aresknights

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Owen Sound has apparently dealt with the '67's for goaltender Oliver Lafrenier. That's one less suitor for DiPietro's services, so the group of potential buyers just got smaller, and that potential for a huge return has shrunk. Granted, both are far from being equal, ability wise, but there's a reason that the Dollar Stores exist.

Could Headrick be viewed as a legitimate option over Day ? Both are OA's and would be viewed as short-term rentals, but when the asking price becomes a consideration, which player gets moved first.....and most importantly, at what cost ? Hasn't WR been down this road before ? By that, I mean setting his asking price so high, that opposing GM's just shrug, and go elsewhere to seek out deals more in line with their budgets ?

i dont think windsor ever wanted to move dipietro to begin with, if they dont move luchuk, brown or day, then i think you could be correct

Reactions: Oldbarn Newhay

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Please give examples where you know Warren was asking more than other GM's would pay?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Please give examples where you know Warren was asking more than other GM's would pay?

The one other time they were serious sellers was in 2011. There was talk of the Spits moving Ellis and Rychel in the paper said he wanted 8-10 draft picks for him. Obviously the Spits changed courses but just by that comment it's an example of what a GM wouldn't pay.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The one other time they were serious sellers was in 2011. There was talk of the Spits moving Ellis and Rychel in the paper said he wanted 8-10 draft picks for him. Obviously the Spits changed courses but just by that comment it's an example of what a GM wouldn't pay.
What he says in the media and what he actually says to other GM's is not likely the same thing - 2011 was a year where they kept Ellis and Kazien and made another ill advised run - so they were never really sellers, so your example is not accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad