Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
your not wrong, most of my point goes back to asset management, some due to sactioud, some due to bad trades (Baird). your kinda making my point for me thou, we have a whole bunch of average, replacement level young players (MacDougall excluded, that was a sharp pickup). not their fault, but saying they are better then other teams 00/01s because of GWG and complete? that’s silly.

Cam Hillis has 23 points this year? That’s a good year for a 17 year old. I’m not sure how 5/6 pts for a 2000 is equally ‘good’.

You're absolutely right in that trades like Baird shouldn't be happening. However, that is a very small part. When talking about asset management, I think it's important to realize that at the bare minimum 2/3 high end players were lost due to sanctions. With them, we could be in a different position with young players and have a different team. We shouldn't be in a position to be fairly comparing young players and assets with other teams after the sanctions and Memorial Cup run when those players that should be in the cupboard have been lost. Don't get me wrong, if they managed to somehow work around it that would have been great, but should absolutely not be expected when that many high end pieces have been lost.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I’m just asking for fair. if they where leading every catagory, we’d be celebrating, justifiably. they are near the bottom of most, so should we not act in kind? I know we wouldnt be talking ‘patince’ if everyone was outperforming expectations, why patience if their are not, fair is fair, no? just dont get the need to sugar coat, call it like it is, either positive or negative either way

If they were leading everyone in points, I'd be surprised. Nothing to do with sugarcoating it. I don't expect players who didn't get much ice time last year to suddenly explode in points. That doesn't happen often (Boka being the exception). Again, once the deadline passes and they're the "go-to" guys, then that's a different story. Hence the "patience."

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You're absolutely right in that trades like Baird shouldn't be happening. However, that is a very small part. When talking about asset management, I think it's important to realize that at the bare minimum 2/3 high end players were lost due to sanctions. With them, we could be in a different position with young players and have a different team. We shouldn't be in a position to be fairly comparing young players and assets with other teams after the sanctions and Memorial Cup run when those players that should be in the cupboard have been lost. Don't get me wrong, if they managed to somehow work around it that would have been great, but should absolutely not be expected when that many high end pieces have been lost.

your 100 percent right, it’s also our fault that we got those sanctions, but it is what it is. we got a championship out of it, I’ll take it, but it’s still our fault. I just don’t get why we are presenting the depth players as more then that because of GWG. we havent had the pics to build a roster, we rely on 6/7 round energy guys to be more then what they are.

let’s be honest thou and say that, not present them as something they are not.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If they were leading everyone in points, I'd be surprised. Nothing to do with sugarcoating it. I don't expect players who didn't get much ice time last year to suddenly explode in points. That doesn't happen often (Boka being the exception). Again, once the deadline passes and they're the "go-to" guys, then that's a different story. Hence the "patience."

But if they were, you wouldn’t be preaching patience, that’s the confusing part.

an example, kirwin in Guelph played as much as Angle last year, but he has 19 points this year, angle has 5. if it was reversed, you wouldn’t be preaching patience, you’d be celebrating. And that’s fine, but again, when it’s reversed, let’s treat it the same way and call it like it is, not what fits the positive messaging.

what’s so wrong with just calling it like it is?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
There was a similar situation 3 years ago as it relates to 16-17 year olds and the Spits won a Mem Cup,and they won it in a 3 year cycle instead of a 4
I have faith management will get things done, if they don't, won't bother me,there isn't a team that wins every cycle.
Spits as mentioned before have focused on D,16 year olds, Staios and Henault,17 year olds Corcoran and Starikov,all are plus D,3 are rookies,next year focus will be on forwards,meaning the 3 drafts, players will be moved to add picks, don't see no reason for negativity, most of the guys are making contributions,they especially the are playing critical moments,heck I have seen Staios and Henault kill penalties together on many occasions.
I just don't look at points,I look at experience gained in all situations.
I would sooner trust someone who has won 3 times in 9 years,then those who haven't won at all.
Rychel has the resume no other current OHL GM has
He has built teams and won under trying circumstances,ie 3 times won when a player made the jump to the NHL early, Bailey, Loktionov, and Fischer, no OHL team has done that, he won under sanctions, like I said find a comparable OHL GM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
But if they were, you wouldn’t be preaching patience, that’s the confusing part.

an example, kirwin in Guelph played as much as Angle last year, but he has 19 points this year, angle has 5. if it was reversed, you wouldn’t be preaching patience, you’d be celebrating. And that’s fine, but again, when it’s reversed, let’s treat it the same way and call it like it is, not what fits the positive messaging.

what’s so wrong with just calling it like it is?

I'm calling it like it is - they haven't had top six minutes, they're behind others in the depth charts, and once the veterans are dealt, THEN we can see how they fare. Right now, guys like Henault, Staios, Corcoran, MacDougall, and Starikov are all playing very well. I'd like more from others but I'm not rushing it. Patience. If you want me to say "they're not good and we drafted horribly", it's not happening. I don't see any reason to look at it like that. I see it for what it is; a rebuild where patience is required.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Sure, up to you. Personally, I'm a fan of GWG and plus-minus. Both have their place.

Auston Matthews was a +2 last year hardly one of the best +- in the league but if you ask any coach/gm/executive/hockey person they would probably say Matthews is one of the most defensively responsible forwards in the NHL. If you are to take their words for it guys who get paid a lot of money for analyze data/video. Why would +- be a good indicator of how good a player is? Connor Brown in Erie was a -72 one year is that an indicator of the type of player he is? Absolutely not. Take your +- and your wins and losses of a pitcher in baseball and throw them in the garbage because that's where they belong.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I'm calling it like it is - they haven't had top six minutes, they're behind others in the depth charts, and once the veterans are dealt, THEN we can see how they fare. Right now, guys like Henault, Staios, Corcoran, MacDougall, and Starikov are all playing very well. I'd like more from others but I'm not rushing it. Patience. If you want me to say "they're not good and we drafted horribly", it's not happening. I don't see any reason to look at it like that. I see it for what it is; a rebuild where patience is required.

So do believe if Angle/Playfair were outperforming guys like MacDougall/Purboo they wouldn't be getting more ice time. There are good coaches and bad coaches but trust me coaches in general play the player that's more productive, that the coaching staff can trust and in a lot of situations work harder. There's a reason why Angle doesn't get a lot of ice time it's because in other words he's earned less playing time.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
There was a similar situation 3 years ago as it relates to 16-17 year olds and the Spits won a Mem Cup,and they won it in a 3 year cycle instead of a 4
I have faith management will get things done, if they don't, won't bother me,there isn't a team that wins every cycle.
Spits as mentioned before have focused on D,16 year olds, Staios and Henault,17 year olds Corcoran and Starikov,all are plus D,3 are rookies,next year focus will be on forwards,meaning the 3 drafts, players will be moved to add picks, don't see no reason for negativity, most of the guys are making contributions,they especially the are playing critical moments,heck I have seen Staios and Henault kill penalties together on many occasions.
I just don't look at points,I look at experience gained in all situations.
I would sooner trust someone who has won 3 times in 9 years,then those who haven't won at all.
Rychel has the resume no other current OHL GM has
He has built teams and won under trying circumstances,ie 3 times won when a player made the jump to the NHL early, Bailey, Loktionov, and Fischer, no OHL team has done that, he won under sanctions, like I said find a comparable OHL GM.

Again with the 3 cups in 9 years??????

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Again with the 3 cups in 9 years??????

The cup last year has a lot of bearing on this year..... He pretty much contradicted himself he said earlier it's all about winning the Memorial Cup but if they don't win it's not a big deal. In other words every game means absolutely nothing unless it amounts to a Memorial Cup. That's your Coles notes version.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
you’d have to look at context and see when the goals are scored, that’s the proble with the stat, you never know when a gwg is scored. it could be 10 minutes left in the 1st. I’ll take points, even shots on net/GM over GWG, the best players in the league always lead the way with shots. if your 2000s are generating a lot of shots, there involved all game, not just one shift

This is a good point. For instance the Soo won their 16th straight tonight Katchouk got the game winning goal he's a real good player but the GWG happened with 41+ minutes left in the game. Hinz got the GWG for Sarnia tonight with 13+ minutes left good player but not sure there's a correlation of being a big time performer when the chips are down. The more shots you put on net the better chances you have of scoring goals.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Auston Matthews was a +2 last year hardly one of the best +- in the league but if you ask any coach/gm/executive/hockey person they would probably say Matthews is one of the most defensively responsible forwards in the NHL. If you are to take their words for it guys who get paid a lot of money for analyze data/video. Why would +- be a good indicator of how good a player is? Connor Brown in Erie was a -72 one year is that an indicator of the type of player he is? Absolutely not. Take your +- and your wins and losses of a pitcher in baseball and throw them in the garbage because that's where they belong.

Again, it's a team stat (which I said), and it's not the ONLY thing (which I think I said, too). You might not like it. Eh, that's your decision. I do. That's my decision. If others don't like it, that's their call. Even more might like it. That's totally cool for them. Neat how it works like that.

There's a reason why Angle doesn't get a lot of ice time it's because in other words he's earned less playing time.

It's also about who else is playing well together. The top six are generally set and, when there's chemistry, you don't touch them. That's normal. Once the deadline is done, you'll see players shifted around and produce more.

I don't but oh well.

Simple - people complain about what's going on, he'll remind you that we've actually been really lucky over the last decade. He's not wrong. Funny, the last time I actually tried to be thankful on here that we even HAVE a team (remember that whole "Spits are moving to Buffalo" thing where we almost got a minor pro team instead?), I was told to be more critical and less thankful. That was years ago, though (3-4 maybe?). Oh well.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

if your willing to offer praise, but unwilling to offer criticism in the same situation when no production occurs, then that’s not calling it like it is. calling it like it is offers both praise and criticism, thus far you’ve only offered one of those things.

no one is asking you to say ‘the draft is horrible’, youre exaggerating for some reason. your happy to say some are exceeding expectations (and thers nothing wrong with that). there’s nothing wrong with saying that Angle/Playfair are underperform vs expectations, because they are. kirwin plays on the third line in Guelph and has 20 points, maybe him and angle will be tied in points by the end of the year, but to this point, angle’s underperforming.

if its not to early to offer praise, irs not to early to offer criticism

Last edited:
Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
you are aware they haven’t won a playoff round in 4/5 years? that’s not a good thing.

I think if you ask any Spits fan, all would take 3 Mem Cups,2OHL championships in the last 9 years then anything else.SSM has not won a Cup in 25 years, London went 11 years in between,no OHL team,won 7 years in between like Windsor has just done.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
This is a good point. For instance the Soo won their 16th straight tonight Katchouk got the game winning goal he's a real good player but the GWG happened with 41+ minutes left in the game. Hinz got the GWG for Sarnia tonight with 13+ minutes left good player but not sure there's a correlation of being a big time performer when the chips are down. The more shots you put on net the better chances you have of scoring goals.

Interesting in today's Sault Star,their mentioned that Katchouk who scored the game winner as you mentioned,now has 7 game winners this season to lead the league.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think if you ask any Spits fan, all would take 3 Mem Cups,2OHL championships in the last 9 years then anything else.SSM has not won a Cup in 25 years, London went 11 years in between,no OHL team,won 7 years in between like Windsor has just done.
so you believe it’s unfair of us to expect a single playoff series win over six years? given how great everyone says we are at drafting/developing, should we not be allowed to expect more?

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
so you believe it’s unfair of us to expect a single playoff series win over six years? given how great everyone says we are at drafting/developing, should we not be allowed to expect more?

No,you can think or expect what you want doesn't mean I have identical expectations.Even if I did I wouldn't belabor the point and always go negative,with me I actcenuate the positives far more then the negatives.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Thx for the reminder again.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
No,you can think or expect what you want doesn't mean I have identical expectations.Even if I did I wouldn't belabor the point and always go negative,with me I actcenuate the positives far more then the negatives.

It is always positive or stats that lean in Windsor favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad