Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
i figured when saying 'whats the point of making the playoffs and losing' the point would have been made, but whatever, semantics.

as a leaf fan you should get the finish 9th draft 14th thing they did for 6-10 years. they always went half way. the last spits rebuild was a failure because they went half way and had to restart it. there was no hard reboot. and like we have all kinda agreed, theres no lead dog here, 80 percent of the roster will be turned over before we win again. so whats the point in squeeking into the playoffs? id rather draft 1st then 6th
The ideal thing would be to virtually assure yourself you will make the playoffs before Jan 10th so that when you sell the farm you can coast into a playoff spot regardless of how poorly you play. That way the players get a taste, the fans get a taste, management gets 2 playoff gates and the cupboards get restocked...

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The ideal thing would be to virtually assure yourself you will make the playoffs before Jan 10th so that when you sell the farm you can coast into a playoff spot regardless of how poorly you play. That way the players get a taste, the fans get a taste, management gets 2 playoff gates and the cupboards get restocked...

i guess i think differently. i dont care about the playoffs, the playoffs mean we dont get 'the best player since mcdavid' in the draft. scraping into the playoffs is what keeps teams from truly rebuilding. regarding expereince, i mean, really, its not like the young kids are guys who are going to get us a championship, weve all said the 16/17 year olds are all depth players (maybe not mcdougall). i mean i dont know why giving those depth 16/17 year olds playoff experience trump getting the top pick in the draft. after those two/three games, we'll all then say 'damn, id love to have that first overall pick'. id rather sacrafice those two/three games and get 2/3 years of one of the top prospects in recent history. we cant have our cake and eat it too, we cant ask for a rebuild while wanting to get into the playoffs. when have windsor ever been able to do both?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
i guess i think differently. i dont care about the playoffs, the playoffs mean we dont get 'the best player since mcdavid' in the draft. scraping into the playoffs is what keeps teams from truly rebuilding. regarding expereince, i mean, really, its not like the young kids are guys who are going to get us a championship, weve all said the 16/17 year olds are all depth players (maybe not mcdougall). i mean i dont know why giving those depth 16/17 year olds playoff experience trump getting the top pick in the draft. after those two/three games, we'll all then say 'damn, id love to have that first overall pick'. id rather sacrafice those two/three games and get 2/3 years of one of the top prospects in recent history. we cant have our cake and eat it too, we cant ask for a rebuild while wanting to get into the playoffs. when have windsor ever been able to do both?

Other than 2009, 2010 and last year, Windsor has either missed the playoffs or been out the first round of the playoffs. April been a bad month for Windsor.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Agreed. Clear the crops and reseed. Getting a top 3 in the next draft and some 1st rounders from trades will be essential for a quicker rebuild. The last time we had a high pick was Vilardi and before that was Hall. Now we know what happened with those picks (3 Memorial Cups). That appears to be the Spits formula for success. After the 2nd Memorial Cup we should have sold everything- the picks and prospects would have been crazy, but we didn't and we had lean years till we got the high pick with Vilardi.

Don't care about making the playoffs. I've said before that junior is cyclical and this is our bear year so let do this right. Don't let our early success cloud your minds. We are not as good as our record. The rookies need maximum ice time to flourish.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Agreed. Clear the crops and reseed. Getting a top 3 in the next draft and some 1st rounders from trades will be essential for a quicker rebuild. The last time we had a high pick was Vilardi and before that was Hall. Now we know what happened with those picks (3 Memorial Cups). That appears to be the Spits formula for success. After the 2nd Memorial Cup we should have sold everything- the picks and prospects would have been crazy, but we didn't and we had lean years till we got the high pick with Vilardi.

Don't care about making the playoffs. I've said before that junior is cyclical and this is our bear year so let do this right. Don't let our early success cloud your minds. We are not as good as our record. The rookies need maximum ice time to flourish.

seems simple to me. winning the mem cup gives us a pass to not make the playoffs really. and your right, the last two times weve drafted in the top 2/3 they have been core pieces to a mem cup team. why squeak into the playoffs for a week of gratification versus having the pieces to build a new championship around.

moving brown, vilardi, day and dipietro should get us 2 1st round 01s and more picks then we could ever imagine.

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
While I agree finishing 14th overall and getting swept in the 1st round only accomplishes providing limited playoff experience, selling all 4 players presents its own problems. 4 high end players are too many to trade in one season. There would have to be 5 or 6 teams willing to mortgage the future for a run. Plus the remaining 13/14 may also be attempting to trade their high end players.

Do not believe there are enough teams to go around.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
whats the scouting report on this Byfield kid, seeing his name pop up more then a few times lately, and Im too lazy to look up anything, what are some early comparisons?

Reactions: Sec108

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
but May has been a great month for Windsor

I agree there.

However u have to actually play hockey in the month of April to have a chance to play in May. U just can't hope to win the bid each time to get a chance to play hockey in May.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
whats the scouting report on this Byfield kid, seeing his name pop up more then a few times lately, and Im too lazy to look up anything, what are some early comparisons?

6'3 200lb forward with York Simcoe Express. Aug 2002. 10 games this season, 21 goals 14 assists and 35 points.

member 71782

While I agree finishing 14th overall and getting swept in the 1st round only accomplishes providing limited playoff experience, selling all 4 players presents its own problems. 4 high end players are too many to trade in one season. There would have to be 5 or 6 teams willing to mortgage the future for a run. Plus the remaining 13/14 may also be attempting to trade their high end players.

Do not believe there are enough teams to go around.

With Windsor's top 4, Brown, Day, Vilardi and DiPietro I don't think there will be any shortage of interest.

Teams that are more likely looking to make a run this year would be considering all 4 as options to pursue. The assets they have will determine which are the most feasible. Brown and Day would be a bit cheaper since both would likely be gone next season.

Those who are looking more towards next year but still have an outside chance this year with the right additions would get involved with trying to acquire DiPietro and Vilardi if they are available along with those who see this year as their year to contend.

By the deadline there are probably 5 - 6 teams who would be considering Day and Brown, if they were not moved before then. Vilardi and DiPietro, between this years contenders and those looking towards a decent run this year with next year being their target adds possibly 4 - 5 more teams who could consider trying to acquire them sooner.

Moving those 4 shouldn't be a problem, anyone else is questionable but a couple would still be enquired about.

Reactions: punch1943

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
In reguards to the Nother situation, if WR is not looking to wheel and deal for a replacement I think bringing Nick Gauvin back would be ideal. He is a big tough defenseman that I thought looked pretty good at camp. Adding some grit on the back end is something I think the Spits are in dire need for.

Pretty sure anything to do with Gauvin won't happen, after refusing to being sent down to Jr B,6 weeks,he isn't to my knowledge playing anywhere.
If the Spits need another D,they will look elsewhere.

Reactions: randomhero4life

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Brady Lyle wants out of North Bay (Can't blame him) 6'2 212 Defenseman.....anyone think WR has interest?

Not sure on this one, Butler might be looking for a prospect and a pick,not willing to move either.Lyle has nice size,not sure if he uses it, penalty totals don't show much aggression.
Would rather get forwards who can or show scoring potential.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Perhaps someone has info on this player listed on Spit Roster......

Adam Kadlec
C
Windsor Spitfires
Shoots:
R
Height:
Weight:
Birthdate:
1999-09-03
Hometown:
Chicago, IL
Bio:
Draft:
OHL - OSH FA (2017)
GPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGFOW
2000-200023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2016-17 Prince George Cougars WHL600040|
Prince Albert Raiders WHL54591421-9|
2017-18 Oshawa Generals OHL20000-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Perhaps someone has info on this player listed on Spit Roster......

Adam Kadlec
C
Windsor Spitfires
Shoots:
R
Height:
Weight:
Birthdate:
1999-09-03
Hometown:
Chicago, IL
Bio:
Draft:
OHL - OSH FA (2017)
GPGAPTS+/-PIMPPGSHGSOGFOW
2000-200023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2016-17 Prince George Cougars WHL600040|
Prince Albert Raiders WHL54591421-9|
2017-18 Oshawa Generals OHL20000-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It is the 99 that was coming from Oshawa, deal not announced yet.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Didn’t see anything about a player coming as part of McCool trade, thought it was just for a 4th
I was not aware of the McCool deal - heard on Sunday we were getting a 99 from Oshawa but had no names, so I'm only guessing that this was the one, but it seems to fit. Never heard anything more on what the full deal was.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
LOL. This kid played 2 games in Oshawa and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.
Wasted card in Oshawa and looks like another wasted card going to be spent in Windsor. Develop your players from within your own system. Why the need to go to another league to find a player that can't cut it in the OHL? Just my thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad