Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
While the Spitfires have a history of dealing their captain - Aaron Luchuk, Patrick Sanvido, Kerby Rychel, Adrian Robertson to name a few - I don't see Boka being dealt right now.
While you don't see Boka being dealt right now. Consider this. Boka might want to go elsewhere. If you were Boka would it sit well with you given the paltry minutes he plays. Another player IMHO who might want to leave has to be Starikov who has gone from a projected high NHL pick to being a healthy scratch and playing 5-6 or 7 when he does play. Last year we lost an import who wasn't getting much ice time. He left at the Christmas break to go home and never returned. It sure won't be a surprise if Lev goes the same route.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
No actually it say's a a lot about you!! You throw your little digs at people everyday, when someone throws digs back at you....you play the victim role. :thumbu:

Thanks for the awesome reply.
I look forward to reading your posts about me in the future. :)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
IF they got someone like Clarke or Tolnai, plus Salinitri, they could make a good run of it even without DiPietro. Use one or two of the picks to bring in a talent, too, and still have plenty left over for the future.

And another good defenseman and sure they should improve in the standings I would hope.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
While you don't see Boka being dealt right now. Consider this. Boka might want to go elsewhere. If you were Boka would it sit well with you given the paltry minutes he plays. Another player IMHO who might want to leave has to be Starikov who has gone from a projected high NHL pick to being a healthy scratch and playing 5-6 or 7 when he does play. Last year we lost an import who wasn't getting much ice time. He left at the Christmas break to go home and never returned. It sure won't be a surprise if Lev goes the same route.

I aagree. He gets very little ice time to improve his game. I wouldn't be surprised if he left at Christmas. It's a tough game n some players fall thru the cracks for developing.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
I would totally agree with the notion Starikov might leave. Weber is not using him very wisely. Weber should use his energy to teach Starikov how to read the ice better, use his body more effectively, slide along the line for shots (he usually hits the opposing defensive player), and how to rush with the puck (he thinks he is Sergachev) and still get back if unsuccessful. Letowski was an excellent defensive coach, that brought out the players best, and Weber has a lot to learn!

It would be a big Spitfire mistake to lose him with no return.

Reactions: randomhero4life

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would totally agree with the notion Starikov might leave. Weber is not using him very wisely. Weber should use his energy to teach Starikov how to read the ice better, use his body more effectively, slide along the line for shots (he usually hits the opposing defensive player), and how to rush with the puck (he thinks he is Sergachev) and still get back if unsuccessful. Letowski was an excellent defensive coach, that brought out the players best, and Weber has a lot to learn!

It would be a big Spitfire mistake to lose him with no return.

The Spits may have zero say in the matter. Other teams see that Starikov is being a healthy scratch, they can see his below average play on the ice. Then you have the import draft in 2019 where you may want to draft another player and I can tell you it wouldn't be Piroinen let go to make that happen.

Unfortunately I get the idea with Starikov the only reason he will continually be given that opportunity is because he's really big. That's not really a compelling reason to stick with him. He's 18 years old, he was the 100+ pick in the import draft isn't it possible that he's not that great and fulfill that promise people think when they see a big guy?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
At this point, I give Starikov until the deadline, then see what happens. I like the kid and have liked him since day one. Maybe it's the coaching. Maybe it's the systems. Maybe it's him. I don't know. Something isn't clicking and you can tell. He was aggressive and getting points last year, but it's been tough out there for him so far this year. I'd hate to see him leave but I could understand if it happened.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While you don't see Boka being dealt right now. Consider this. Boka might want to go elsewhere. If you were Boka would it sit well with you given the paltry minutes he plays.

Paltry minutes? I've seen zero indication that Boka's unhappy. It's the fans on here that seem to be unhappy with him not being a huge goal scorer.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
I feel Starikov came to camp this year with an inflated opinion of his talent (Sergachev level, with crazy rushes). He was developing very nicely last year, and this year he has not played near as well. He needs "someone" to get in his ear and explain the mechanics of making the NHL. Weber seems to be taking the "hard nosed" approach with him. This may very well lead to departure at Christmas! Letowski or Rychel need a sit down with him (parents..agent?) and get this turned around. I think he has talent that is being wasted.

Reactions: OHLTG

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I aagree. He gets very little ice time to improve his game. I wouldn't be surprised if he left at Christmas. It's a tough game n some players fall thru the cracks for developing.
At the end of last year he made HUGE strides, was our best defenceman post deadline. Though I have seen improvement the past few games he looks very scared when the puck is on his stick and looks to get rid of it as fast as possible.
He doesn’t have good Hockey IQ and doesn’t use his size well. He is a great skater for his size but that can only get him so far.
Only bright spot with Lev is when he is paired with Corcoran the pair seem to do really well in the offensive zone and they use each other well.
Let’s hope Lev regains that confidence and realizes its his draft season and picks up his game, kinda like Stanley did a few years back.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Starikov play will have to improve by a leaps n bounds on this team.
When its time for the euro draft next year I could see Windsor selecting a player n Starikov would be odd man out.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Suspect Scott will be in the running for the starting job...
Maple Leafs prospect Ian Scott with another win last night for Prince Albert. He's now 18-1, with a 1.37 GAA, .951 SV% and 4 Shutouts.
This is getting ridiculous.
Yes he has been solid - DiPietro and him are the likely tandom.

ChewChewTrain

Dec 30, 2017
Is Olivier Rodrigue also in consideration for the goalie job at the WJC? Would you consider DiPietro to be a lock to make the team?

Rodrigue
Scott
DiPietro

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Is Olivier Rodrigue also in consideration for the goalie job at the WJC? Would you consider DiPietro to be a lock to make the team?

Rodrigue
Scott
DiPietro
Don't think anyone is a lock to make the team but DiPietro will get an invite for sure. Hockey Canada has been big on him so good chance but you never know. I don't have any info on Rodrigue.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Thanks man. Trying to figure out how long we’d be without Ukko. I wonder if those dates apply to Finland’s camp?
They will likely have a website that would list dates. Usually there is an English version if your not up on your Finnish SP. Also there are posters from Finland that are on this board so they might know.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
When Nattinen was named to their camp in 2015, it started around Dec 15. However, the camp was in Finland. Id guess its a similar timeframe now.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Dipietro and Rodrigue would be my goalie duo at the World Jrs. if I'm Team Canada.
I'd go with Scott from Prince Albert instead of Rodrigue. 19 years old, 18-1 record, 1.37 GAA, .951 SV%, and 4 SO. Insanely hot right now.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I'd go with Scott from Prince Albert instead of Rodrigue. 19 years old, 18-1 record, 1.37 GAA, .951 SV%, and 4 SO. Insanely hot right now.
IMO, Hockey Canada should break camp knowing who is there starting goaltender. I would assume that would either be DiPietro or Allen. Their 2nd goaltender should be the best 18yo. Give the backup starts in the 2 "easy" round robin games (the 2 weakest teams in the group) to prepare him for next year. This is also what they should have done last year in preparing for this year. At this point, Canada has no Goaltender with WJC experience.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
IMO, Hockey Canada should break camp knowing who is there starting goaltender. I would assume that would either be DiPietro or Allen. Their 2nd goaltender should be the best 18yo. Give the backup starts in the 2 "easy" round robin games (the 2 weakest teams in the group) to prepare him for next year. This is also what they should have done last year in preparing for this year. At this point, Canada has no Goaltender with WJC experience.
I love when people get it, you sir understand how the system should work. I do think Scott is a good goalie but am also hesitant of his play the last couple seasons. This year PA is rolling so you would think that their goalie is also rolling.

Reactions: ErikBrannstrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad