Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
LOL I swear, we've had this discussion before... no? I mean, I doubt there are many goaltenders out there that you'd rather have in a 7-game series, but congrats on trying to stir the pot again?

just stating a different opinion.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Dipietro is part of the team,not the team,the fact he got drafted, and signed before this season,his goals against average and save percentage was very good every year he played postseason and in his draft year on a national stage with a fully and healthy roster we saw what he can do,NHL people clearly saw it,as well as being tied for career league shutouts for goalies,he has been outstanding for Windsor both on and off the ice a true Spitfire always positive not negative.
Technically DiPietro is the team or was the team. He was the reason for the very good start last year. He was the reason we won a few games in playoffs last year. He was the reason the team won the Memorial Cup. And no a true Spitfires fan isn’t always positive. Not all fans are homers. You can be a true fan and have negative opinions.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Technically DiPietro is the team or was the team. He was the reason for the very good start last year. He was the reason we won a few games in playoffs last year. He was the reason the team won the Memorial Cup. And no a true Spitfires fan isn’t always positive. Not all fans are homers. You can be a true fan and have negative opinions.

And no a true fan is not always negative either.
Last I looked Dipietro has yet to score a goal,so no he wasn't the only reason Windsor won a national championship, 4dmen signed to NHL contracts,3 players in 1 year drafted in the 1st round of NHL draft,1 the following season (Vilardi).

Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

agreed.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Saying any one player "won" the Memorial Cup is false and discredits the team. Was DiPietro a big factor? Of course. Did he "win" the Cup for the team? No.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Saying any one player "won" the Memorial Cup is false and discredits the team. Was DiPietro a big factor? Of course. Did he "win" the Cup for the team? No.
Well if any other team in that tournament had a goalie that actually preformed the Spits would not have won. If Windsor got just average goaltending they lose. Ok if he didn’t win it for the team then the horrible goaltending of every other team did then.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Last I looked Dipietro has yet to score a goal,so no he wasn't the only reason Windsor won a national championship, 4dmen signed to NHL contracts,3 players in 1 year drafted in the 1st round of NHL draft,1 the following season (Vilardi).
And i haven’t always been negative. I’ve said how i’ve like Frasca and McDonald (a true fan would spell his name right. Its not MacDonald). Foudy has been really good and Cuylle has been improving. To bad it the rookies leading the team in scoring. Future looks good but present not so much unless the vets step up. It seems people are more negative towards the vets then anything else.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I know I mentioned it before, feel even more stronger now,I glad Spits rookie forward Kyle Macdonald ,though he deserves to,wasn't chosen to play in the upcoming -17 tourney. He was pretty impressive prior to this past weekend despite limited action,this past weekend he scored 1G and 2A in 3 games.
Looks like a bright future for the 2nd rounder from the Ottawa area.
Interesting info, the Spits 3-16 year old forwards have scored more points then any other teams 16 year old players.
Listed below is all the teams number of 16 years old and combined points.

Windsor (3)- 22 points
Sudbury (2)-12
Saginaw (1)-11
Sarnia (2)-11
Hamilton (4)-11
Missy (4)-10
Barrie (2)-10
Sault (2)-9
Kitch (3)-9
London(4)-8
Erie (1)-8
Oshawa (2)-7
Niagara (3)-6
Guelph (3)-6
Kingston (3)-4
NB (4) - 3
Ottawa (3)-3
Flint (2)-2
Owen Sd.(1)-1
Peterborough (3)-5
Ottawa and Kingston have 16 year old goalies.

Last edited:

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Nope he doesn’t score but without him the other teams would score a lot more. Maybe not only reason but main reason. So you are saying they won cause of these players that were drafted and signed to NHL contracts?? I’m pretty sure Erie had a better team except for the most important place and that was in goal. We were outshot 70-41 in 2 games and outscored them 8-5. Now if we would have lost both those game some would say yeah well you can’t win games with only 20 shots a game. And that we lost cause other teams goalie played great.

Reactions: aresknights

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I know I mentioned it before, feel even more stronger now,I glad Spits rookie forward Kyle Macdonald ,though he deserves to,wasn't chosen to play in the upcoming -17 tourney. He was pretty impressive prior to this past weekend despite limited action,this past weekend he scored 1G and 2A in 3 games.
Interesting info, the Spits 3-16 year old forwards have scored more points then any other teams 16 year old players.

Windsor (3)- 22 points
Sudbury (2)-12
Saginaw (1)-11
Sarnia (2)-11
Hamilton (4)-11
Missy (4)-10
Barrie (2)-10
Sault (2)-9
Kitch (3)-9
London(4)-8
Erie (1)-8
Oshawa (2)-7
Niagara (3)-6
Guelph (3)-6
Kingston (3)-4
NB (4) - 3
Ottawa (3)-3
Flint (2)-2
Owen Sd.(1)-1

HIS NAME IS KYLE MCDONALD.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017

Windsor (3)- 22 points
Sudbury (2)-12
Saginaw (1)-11
Sarnia (2)-11
Hamilton (4)-11
Missy (4)-10
Barrie (2)-10
Sault (2)-9
Kitch (3)-9
London(4)-8
Erie (1)-8
Oshawa (2)-7
Niagara (3)-6
Guelph (3)-6
Kingston (3)-4
NB (4) - 3
Ottawa (3)-3
Flint (2)-2
Owen Sd.(1)-1

Petes?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nope he doesn’t score but without him the other teams would score a lot more. Maybe not only reason but main reason. So you are saying they won cause of these players that were drafted and signed to NHL contracts?? I’m pretty sure Erie had a better team except for the most important place and that was in goal. We were outshot 70-41 in 2 games and outscored them 8-5. Now if we would have lost both those game some would say yeah well you can’t win games with only 20 shots a game. And that we lost cause other teams goalie played great.[/QUOTE

That Memorial Cup win was a total team effort,and yes Windsor had the best goalie of any team's goalies,but to say he was the only reason they won is wrong and he would be the 1st to admit it.
Said this before,Erie coach said his team hadn't faced a full,roster Windsor team all year,and the Moncton coach said that Windsor and Erie were the 2 best teams his team had played all year,stress teams not just goalie.

Reactions: OHLTG

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
If Erie has an above average goalie they beat windsor. Was i happy every team in tournament has crappy goaltending?? Yes i was. That was probably one of the worst group of goalies i’ve seen in that tournament numbers wise. DiPietro should have even won MVP has he had bigger impact then Strome

Reactions: aresknights

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit

I agree! fans can have negative opinions, as this is Junior Hockey we are talking about. When fans are seeing this team /players are not working hard enough and not to their own potential that should definetly be said. Junior Hockey can be very frustrating at times.....but that's a given as it is a development league. I see some on here that I think get worked up pretty easily, it's about picking the battles, both sides, Be it if you are a homer, or casual fan...or whatever fan you might be.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Without direct knowledge of previous tournaments, it's impossible for me to say. I'm going on the earlier comment about how Windsor was perceived by the opposing teams -

"Said this before,Erie coach said his team hadn't faced a full,roster Windsor team all year,and the Moncton coach said that Windsor and Erie were the 2 best teams his team had played all year,stress teams not just goalie."

The coaches had a lot of respect for what the Spitfires had done. There was no "they're not all that good" anywhere.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
When have opposing coaches in the Memorial Cup tournament criticized other coaches and teams?

I think HL has brought the Qs coaches talking point 497 times. But it is irrelevant. Im sure if they faced any of the OHLs final 4 playoff teams the coach would have said the same thing as it was a weak year for the Q.
We k ow how the Spits stacked up vs the OHL West in reg season and POs.
And as you say, its always a love fest. Take the public, for media comments for what they are worth. Very little. Just as WR's proclamation to the public this is a 07/08 type team.......means very little.
If you are privy to back room comments, Id give them much more weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
There have been a few times I've noticed similar grammar & spelling mistakes from some of the handles mentioned. If it's one person with several accounts, that's dedication to the cause. But it's jumped the shark & I've started using the ignore function.
Much better experience now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: