Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So which of the 2 evils would u want to face?
Sarnia or Soo?
haha

Sarnia
Even though I don't think Windsor will win series, Sarnia's D is weaker.
Less travel.
A Windsor win or loss in OT,gets 6th and Saginaw get 8tth, which helps in draft, seeing that Windsor has Saginaw's 2nd and 3rd round picks aquired in trades with other teams

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
You posted that at 7pm. Puck drop time. What is you're expecting for "game expierience"? At 7pm? Are you 12? Do you need a bounce house or something? You complained that it was cold before and that were cheerleaders and whatever. You could always try seeing a game in your town of Plymouth instead. They'll be about 3,000+ empty seats to choose from but there's not much "game expierience" there either other than just good hockey which it seems isn't really your thing. My apologies for the hijack to all the other usual Windsor posters....dude just never stops whining about it.

It just doesn’t have the feel of a hockey game to me. Good sized crowd that were hot the whole night every time a “make noise” or “louder” graphic appeared on the screen
Firebirds looked way better than the standings said. Everything just felt unorganized at the rink, similar to Plymouth. There’s a reason there’s no longer a team there. Lol. The atmosphere of a game in Niagara, London, Windsor, Sarnia, etc just feels... bigger. But yes, a bouncy house would have tickled my fancy.

I was impressed with Cavallin in net for Flint being a rookie. D let him down a little in the third, but based solely on tonight, I see starter potential. No disrespect to Baker, or Patton, but I’d prefer Cavallin as he’s a 01 I believe. I was a little shocked Forest didn’t get the start being a OA in his last game. Anyone know why? Seeing Smereck take a knee at center post game was one of those things that gives you chills. It can be emotional watching guys last games before they graduate the OHL. I’ll never forget Damien Surma crying his eyes out. I can’t imagine having to leave the OHL not knowing on where, when and if, you’ll play hockey again at a competitive level like the O.

Spits played decent but are giving away far too many breaks. Thursday night too. DiPietro bailed em out, and if we had any other goalie in our system in net, it would’ve been a different game. A good couple scraps from a pair of our smaller guys. Surprised that morgan and D’Amico were the ones to go, but it was nice to add some old school hockey into a OHL game. I was impressed by DAmico and Angle and am thankful we were able to add Smith to the team this year. I’ve been extremely impressed by him.

And Leave it to London to blow a 2 goal lead in 4 minutes to complicate stuff for us. We could’ve went in tomorrow playing for a 6th/7th. Now it’s 6th/8th.

My ideal situation was a 7th seed vs Kitchener matchup. A chance to pull off an upset, with still receiving an okay draft pick. Plus it would be cool to see some old spits back at the WFCU.

I’m rooting for a loss tomorrow. A win could put us at 11th in the league where a loss could bump us up to a better draft pick. I think we still could get 5th but don’t quote me on it. With Sarnia or Soo, I don’t think the outcome will be much different, but anything can happen in the playoffs. (Except for the Spits winning a series apparently, I kid)

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Thursday night too. DiPietro bailed em out, and if we had any other goalie in our system in net, it would’ve been a different game.
I believe you may have your day wrong because if 4 on 21 and not making it half way through the game before being pulled is bailing you out, you guys are in trouble.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I worked all day (St Patricks FTW!), but was able to follow a bit on Twitter.

Take the win. Always a good thing. Nice to see the boys standing up for themselves - even if it was Morgan and D'Amico.

Spits will finish either 6th or 8th. Cannot finish 7th due to tiebreaker with Guelph. If they win, they beat Guelph outright. If they lose in OT/SO, they win tiebreaker. If they lose, they're 8th and face SSM. Pretty cut-and-dry.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I worked all day (St Patricks FTW!), but was able to follow a bit on Twitter

Spits will finish either 6th or 8th. Cannot finish 7th due to tiebreaker with Guelph. If they win, they beat Guelph outright. If they lose in OT/SO, they win tiebreaker. If they lose, they're 8th and face SSM. Pretty cut-and-dry.

That's already been stated.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Nice to get the win but that is a double edged sword. We now can't face Kitchener which I thought would be a fun series but not to be.

Player of the game goes to Larionov - his line along with Smith seemed to be the only offense we had for most of the game - one shifty goal he scored and just after Flint had scored on us - for me that goal broke Flint's spirit. Mikey gets an honorable mention, he as always kept us in the game - as others have mentioned we are spoiled at this point.

So my heart says win today but my brain is telling me we need to lose so I guess either way for me we can't lose. Spits will play hard today not in any kids spirit to lose a game - see how I keep throwing the word spirit in there? My way of a jinx!

Hoping for a good crowd, loud at least, may be the last fun game we have this year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nice bounce back win last night at Flint,good to see Kitkevicius and Larionov back in the lineup, Larionov big game,a three point effort 1G,2A,
he now has 17 points in his last 16 games,with 5 multi point games during this stretch, Jake Smith added a goal and an assist,no doubt in mind he would have scored 20 goals,still might,had he not missed 9 games due to suspension and illness.Cole Purboo scored for 3rd game in his last 4, has 5 points during this time period, Daniel D'amico the 6th round draft pick picked the Gordie Howe hat trick,a goal,an assist, and nice fight with 17 year old Hunter Holmes in the 3rd.
D'amico now has 12 goals on the season very good for a 6th round 16 year old.His speed and tenacity have been fun to watch most of the season,seems to have a bright future.
Surprised to see forward Cody Morgan get involved in fisticuffs,with another 16 year old Gritz, a much bigger kid,he acquitted himself well, coming into the game Morgan only had 2 minutes in penalties for the season, so his scrap was surprising.
Mike Dipietro also had a nice bounce back game between the pipes for Windsor very solid and focused.
Spits are now 4-4-1 in their last 9,and,
8-6-2 in their last 16, as we enter the final game of season.
As mentioned above a Spitfire win or loss in OT today vs Saginaw, Windsor finished 6th and will Sarnia,a regulation loss,Spits fall to 8th and a playoff date with the Sault.
Choose your poison,and I am conflicted, because of draft positioning, finish 8th get a better draft spot,6 or 7th probably, finish 6 get a worst draft spot 8-10, though in many cases teams have their targeted player ready regardless where they pick 3 or 4 players,or they could get a guy they didn't count on,just don't know.
The benefit to 6th place finish is that Saginaw's 2nd and 3rd round picks belong to Windsor so finishing 8th benefits Windsor.
At the end of the day get the win or minimum one point,take 6th or go from there.
Too bad things got screwed up last night,with Guelph losing,and Saginaw getting one point,no chance for 7th,I would have rested guys, including Dipietro,now it's all hands on deck for today.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits vs Saggy
My prediction streak has come to an end at 3. After predicting 5th place finishes the last two years & the 4 straight wins in the Memorial Cup my prognostication this year had the Spits ending up 7th. That now is impossible as they either end up 6th or 8th.
Hopefully they beat Saggy and avoid a series with SSM. IMHO if the training staff can alter Boka’s glove to give him some extra protection for the thumb he can see PK & shot blocking duty...you know Saggy will put DiPietro in a shooting gallery...

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Sarnia
Even though I don't think Windsor will win series, Sarnia's D is weaker.
Less travel.
A Windsor win or loss in OT,gets 6th and Saginaw get 8tth, which helps in draft, seeing that Windsor has Saginaw's 2nd and 3rd round picks aquired in trades with other teams
I don't believe that Windsor can beat either team 4 times. Sarnia is the weaker team, which would give Windsor the better chance. The one thing in Windsor's favor, no matter who they play, is they have a Goaltender capable of stealing a series. They just need some skaters that can put the puck in the net to give Mikey the chance to steal.

Reactions: Sec108

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
We haven’t won a playoff series since what 2011 and with far superior teams than this. I don’t think it changes this year and because of that, hope we get the highest pick possible.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
At this point, might as well play Sarnia and see if we can work some magic. I don't want to lose just to face SSM, so get the win and play the games.

Sorry, missed someone else mentioning I was working. My bad :laugh:
OHLTG: How about some predictions?
Windsor vs Sarnia; Windsor vs Soo.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
At this point, might as well play Sarnia and see if we can work some magic. I don't want to lose just to face SSM, so get the win and play the games.

What is funny?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Good luck to Baier.
This is a winnable game.
Will c how he plays. Not feeding him to the wolves.
Not complaining about travel or playing nite before. Both teams have done both.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011

Thats good it was mentioned twice, bc I always thought you lived in your mom's basement with no life except for following the OHL...........I stand corrected !!!!!

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Second intermission around the OHL. If the spits lose in regulation and Ottawa and Missy hang onto their 2/3 goal leads, we get 5th pick in the first round...

One of those fun days to be an OHL fan, when the next 20 minutes in three different games can determine the future.

I’d prefer a series vs. Sarnia but that 5th overall pick looks pretty

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
It was a catch 22, looking at a top 5 overall pick vs top 10 etc, etc. Good thing for the Spits is Saginaw's 2nd & 3rd will be high in those rounds.
It is what it is they had a better regular season than 7 other teams.

Windsor had a much better season than I had predicted in September. I thought they'd be on the outside looking in. At best squeek in with some luck. They did well & also positioned themselves nice going forward with the deals made throughout the season.

Realisticly, it will be a good post season if the Spits can take one from the Sting. Can't see them doing much more than that barring a major collaps by Sarnia.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This was the game Brock Baier needed. Not just for his own confidence, but to show the critics that he's got the talent. He was steady, he was focused, and the first goal was a nice tip. Not much you can do.

Take away that 30-sec burst by the Spirit and the Spits were in control. They did well in both zones and played like this was a playoff game.

Would a 5th overall pick have been nice? Sure. I'll take this, though.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
I am baffled. Windsor literally jumped from the 5th overall pick (Saginaw got this) to 10th overall pick winning today. Ottawa and Mississauga gave them a bird in hand with the 5th overall pick by both winning, rather than 7th. If Windsor can pull off rebuilding getting a stud there and winning I will be surprised and eat my words but until then, I do believe they made a big mistake and the rebuild took a big, big hit from this one win. Really couldn't care less if they face Sarnia or the Soo, they aren't winning this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad