Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You didn't answer my question though how is his stats in Jr B relevant to how he's played this year?

I've said this many times - he's proven he can play and his Jr B stats back that up. When you're thrown to the wolves, what do you expect? Like my post said - if he had a 4.50 GAA and .880% in Jr B, would people not be looking twice at it as far as his capability of playing in the OHL?

We're at the point where we're spoiled with DiPietro. If another goaltender plays, and doesn't shine, he's given the cold shoulder. This is proven with Baier.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
U can show whatever stats u want that favor Baier. Ignore the bad stats for sure.
He just doesn't get the job done when called upon right now.
That is a fact.

What about the other 18 players who play in front of him, for example in the 1-0 loss at Hamilton,is he supposed to score too?
Brilliant.
Like the stats show are proof that you were dead wrong that he was bad every time out.The fact that he averaged 2.46 in the 2 games of the 44 games less then the team average of 2.68 is more proof of your aloofness.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Tough for your backup. There were a lot of high quality goals. Gadjovich's between the legs, a couple snipes by Suzuki, PP goals. We have been also spoiled in net for the last few years and it's tough when you don't have that anymore, it's almost expected.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Tough for your backup. There were a lot of high quality goals. Gadjovich's between the legs, a couple snipes by Suzuki, PP goals. We have been also spoiled in net for the last few years and it's tough when you don't have that anymore, it's almost expected.

OS walked over a young, unfocused Spitfires team and they deserve full credit. I came into the game expecting a handful of goals against and that's what we got. London/OS is going to be a crazy series.

Reactions: Noofgoof

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I've said this many times - he's proven he can play and his Jr B stats back that up. When you're thrown to the wolves, what do you expect? Like my post said - if he had a 4.50 GAA and .880% in Jr B, would people not be looking twice at it as far as his capability of playing in the OHL?

We're at the point where we're spoiled with DiPietro. If another goaltender plays, and doesn't shine, he's given the cold shoulder. This is proven with Baier.
Look at Pattons numbers in JrB, not as good as Baier's in JrB but Patton "seems" to play better at this level - Numbers are not everything when you move up a league.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Look at Pattons numbers in JrB, not as good as Baier's in JrB but Patton "seems" to play better at this level - Numbers are not everything when you move up a league.
I'm not sure about that. Let's say hypothetically that Dipietro goes down in the playoffs. I would much rather see Baier than Patton. I am not sold on Patton at all.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

So if you cite his few good games to prove your point that he can play why hasn't he played more if he can play? Has the organization done a good job of developing him? It's not about being spoiled by DiPietro for instance Culina was poor down the stretch last year but what the Spits got from Culina last year was a lot better than anything Windsor has gotten from Patton/Baier.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So if you cite his few good games to prove your point that he can play why hasn't he played more if he can play? Has the organization done a good job of developing him? It's not about being spoiled by DiPietro for instance Culina was poor down the stretch last year but what the Spits got from Culina last year was a lot better than anything Windsor has gotten from Patton/Baier.

Culina was older with a year experience when he tended goal for Windsor last year,toss in the fact that
Windsor didn't have 5 rookie D last year were a far better team, otherwise explain how come was 3.44 in Sudbury this year.You are comparing 2 different scenarios.
The fact that Baier only got to start 2 games in the 44 games I mentioned is compelling to say the least, not that you will agree, acknowledge,you never do,not playing for 4-5 weeks isn't easy.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So if you cite his few good games to prove your point that he can play why hasn't he played more if he can play?

I'm citing his stats last year to show that he has the capabilities to play in ths league. Why hasn't he played more? The DiPietro-effect.

They're not everything, but would you rather take a chance on a goalie with bad stats or good stats?

Has the organization done a good job of developing
him?

They haven't played him enough to properly develop him.

It's not about being spoiled by DiPietro

By "spoiled" I mean we've become so used to DiPietro's all-star numbers that anything less is criticized. For the longest time (since Engelage, really), we've had goaltenders come and goaltenders head out. Some were good, some not so much. When we get that all-star caliber goaltender (DiPietro), anything less than his level appears to be given a side glance. That's even with just a handful of games played. As far as Culina goes - he played far more than Patton and Baier combined. That doesn't help them at all.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Culina was older with a year experience when he tended goal for Windsor last year,toss in the fact that
Windsor didn't have 5 rookie D last year were a far better team, otherwise explain how come was 3.44 in Sudbury this year.You are comparing 2 different scenarios.
The fact that Baier only got to start 2 games in the 44 games I mentioned is compelling to say the least, not that you will agree, acknowledge,you never do,not playing for 4-5 weeks isn't easy.
If your gonna say his stats with Sudbury, why not Kitchener. He's doing a very admirable job, posting a GAA of 2.50 and a SV % of 9.22. That's solid.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm not sure about that. Let's say hypothetically that Dipietro goes down in the playoffs. I would much rather see Baier than Patton. I am not sold on Patton at all.
I did say "seems" to play better - not sure I would play him over Baier but in reality with or without DiPietro we are not going far this year. I think for debate and looking forward will Baier or Patton even be in the conversation next year?

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
I did say "seems" to play better - not sure I would play him over Baier but in reality with or without DiPietro we are not going far this year. I think for debate and looking forward will Baier or Patton even be in the conversation next year?
Well, hopefully not. I think it depends on the draft. If we pick a goalie, then no, but if we don't, I can see one of them coming back. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If your gonna say his stats with Sudbury, why not Kitchener. He's doing a very admirable job, posting a GAA of 2.50 and a SV % of 9.22. That's solid.

That is solid,so is a national ranked team,if you can't be under 3 a game with a national ranked team,he was 2.94 with Windsor, especially if you are 19 with 1 years experience ,you shouldn't be there, playing for a team with no experience at the major level and once a month deserves much more slack imo

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
What about the other 18 players who play in front of him, for example in the 1-0 loss at Hamilton,is he supposed to score too?
Brilliant.
Like the stats show are proof that you were dead wrong that he was bad every time out.The fact that he averaged 2.46 in the 2 games of the 44 games less then the team average of 2.68 is more proof of your aloofness.

U can call me whatever childish names u want it won't change my opinion.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

How about Culina in 16/17? 21 games 2.94 gaa .899 sv% as an 18 year old.

How about this fact if Baier had played better when given the opportunity he would have played more? The expectation is for the position in other words when you go in you have a job to do.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
How about Culina in 16/17? 21 games 2.94 gaa .899 sv% as an 18 year old.

How about this fact if Baier had played better when given the opportunity he would have played more? The expectation is for the position in other words when you go in you have a job to do.

Actually Culina was 19 years old in 16/17 and like I said he played on a team both years that was better on D and forward while he was here.
As for Baier playing more,there was no chance as long as Dipietro was and is here that more playing time was coming regardless how well he did.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Here's an issue.......Shot's on goal!! The old saying goes "You can't score if you don't put the puck on the net"...Even when the Spit's win.....they are always behind on shots on goal, or atleast most times. Putting up 4-7 shots on goal a period is embarrassing. This is a topic not really discussed on here as much as I thought it would be. Cycling the puck in the corners and behind the net hoping to feed it to a player in the slot, be it by a solid tape to tape, a chip pass, or in reality..a lucky bounce. When a team is undersized (younger etc.) this method of offense seems ridiculous to me (just imho) .....and that's when they actually carry the puck into the neutral zone, usually it has been one man in with nobody really tailing . Over passing, passing miscues,puck control, repositioning, reset's, all the while keeping line changes on point.....That has been the battle this season for the Spit's.....how many bench minors they have this season??? what you guys think?....whats your thoughts?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Here's an issue.......Shot's on goal!! The old saying goes "You can't score if you don't put the puck on the net"...Even when the Spit's win.....they are always behind on shots on goal, or atleast most times. Putting up 4-7 shots on goal a period is embarrassing. This is a topic not really discussed on here as much as I thought it would be. Cycling the puck in the corners and behind the net hoping to feed it to a player in the slot, be it by a solid tape to tape, a chip pass, or in reality..a lucky bounce. When a team is undersized (younger etc.) this method of offense seems ridiculous to me (just imho) .....and that's when they actually carry the puck into the neutral zone, usually it has been one man in with nobody really tailing . Over passing, passing miscues,puck control, repositioning, reset's, all the while keeping line changes on point.....That has been the battle this season for the Spit's.....how many bench minors they have this season??? what you guys think?....whats your thoughts?

Very well said.
It is a big problem.
They barely hit 20 shots most nites.

Reactions: randomhero4life

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Here's an issue.......Shot's on goal!! The old saying goes "You can't score if you don't put the puck on the net"...Even when the Spit's win.....they are always behind on shots on goal, or atleast most times.

It's funny you mention this - I saw the other day that the Spitfires actually had a better record when they were outshot. I don't know if I still have the info, but I definitely remember thinking "that's strange."

That said, I agree that they need to take more shots. There's no reason you can't put 30-35 shots on net a night, even in a tight system. Get the puck on net and see what happens.

As for bench minors - they have 28 PIM this season, which is tied for tops in the league with Ptbo and Ottawa.

Reactions: randomhero4life

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Very well said.
It is a big problem.
They barely hit 20 shots most nites.

Through the 1st 30 games, before Luchuk and company we're moved Spits had a total of 822 shots on goal for an average of 27.4
For the last 36 games they have had a total of 963 shots on goal for an average of 26.75 per game
The fact that their power play was 2nd at the 30 game mark,and now stands at 16th,I feel reflects the difference for the most part,after all Luchuk led most shooters with shots on goal,add in less PP opps the last 36 games hence less shots on goal.
I tend to look at scoring chances then shots at the end of the night.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Actually Culina was 19 years old in 16/17 and like I said he played on a team both years that was better on D and forward while he was here.
As for Baier playing more,there was no chance as long as Dipietro was and is here that more playing time was coming regardless how well he did.

My mistake 15/16 where Culina had a 2.64 gaa and .902 sv% in 20 games.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
It's funny you mention this - I saw the other day that the Spitfires actually had a better record when they were outshot. I don't know if I still have the info, but I definitely remember thinking "that's strange."

That said, I agree that they need to take more shots. There's no reason you can't put 30-35 shots on net a night, even in a tight system. Get the puck on net and see what happens.

As for bench minors - they have 28 PIM this season, which is tied for tops in the league with Ptbo and Ottawa.

The fact the Spit's have a better record when outshot......is mind boggling...to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad