Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Windsor needs a legitimate playermaker to compete with the other offenses. Erie third in GA, London second. Both of those teams have netminders and defense as well. But they also have much more firepower at this moment. Windsor right now, closer to the middle of the pack with offense than at the top.

GA ranking
Windsor -1
London -2
Erie -3

GF ranking
Erie -2
London - 3
Windsor -12

Yes Windsor statistically has the best GA. But by slim margins to Erie in London for example. Erie and London can both play that low scoring game. The difference currently is that Erie and London can also score 5-6 goals on any given night with the firepower they have.
If Windsor adds a guy like Bracco.. they will likely close that gap

Erie minus Strome for 30 games & London minus Jones for about 20
Windsor minus Brown, Villardi, & Knot for 20 games each.
I don't think that gap is as big as you think it is. If Windsor adds a top six forward and Erie doesn't, I think Windsor's bottom six makes them a better overall forward unit. Given last change especially. Erie has yet to prove they are any where near the Soo in terms of being matchup proof on the road.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Punch

In answer to your questions re 2 cards left, Firstly I would not spend one on an O/A tender,but letting Digiacinto go, you create another hole upfront,and besides Dipietro will be #1, as for an O/A D,again create a hole upfront no desire to go with either scenario_Obviously if 97 or 98 born players are made available cheaply you look otherwise I am content beefing up the forward contingent,if I can a dman cheaply to do 5/6 duties,but not looking for it.At end of day save 2 cards till Feb 15, including if Baier is needed.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I don't think that gap is as big as you think it is. If Windsor adds a top six forward and Erie doesn't, I think Windsor's bottom six makes them a better overall forward unit. Given last change especially.

Brown, Vilardi, Knott- none have been as productive or dominant this year as Strome, Raddysh, Debrincat, Jones, Pu

Notice I said firepower. And go look at the detailed stats. Erie actually has just as much depth as Windsor. If Windsor adds Bracco it will probably make them have just as much offense and firepower as any other team. Not to the point of London last year, where they are on another planet, but nevertheless, capable to score with any. However if they add a guy like Bracco-- they won't be adding much of anything else relevant as he will cost a fortune

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think you missed the point h10. Those Windsor players have played a little more than a third of the season, and not all at the same time. Windsor will have two powerful scoring lines. In 30 games without Strome, teams have been able to trim Erie's scoring from approximately 5+ to 3+ per game with last change. Windsor is better defensively than almost all of those teams.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't think that gap is as big as you think it is. If Windsor adds a top six forward and Erie doesn't, I think Windsor's bottom six makes them a better overall forward unit. Given last change especially. Erie has yet to prove they are any where near the Soo in terms of being matchup proof on the road.

I don't buy that Windsor's bottom 6 can actually produce. Guys like Luchuk and DiGiacinto are still very up and down.

Luchuk 31 points in 34 games, pointless in 14 games
DiGiacinto 19 points in 23 games, pointless in 10 games

We tried last year doing the Luchuk/DiGiacinto 3rd line and that was one of the biggest downfalls relying upon Fischer-Brown-Lemieux to do all the scoring. Maybe the light will go one for those two later in the year and in the playoffs when things really ramp up but those 2 guys can be neutralized. Heck those 2 guys were very quiet against Saginaw/Kitchener.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

Addison and Nattinen have missed roughly a third of the season for Windsor also. (9 & 12 games respectively) That's 5 point per game players that Windsor hasn't had playing together at any given time this season. It's difficult to judge Windsor's fire power because their forward unit has been decimated with injuries, suspensions, pro camps and tournaments.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Addison and Nattinen have missed roughly a third of the season for Windsor also. (9 & 12 games respectively) That's 5 point per game players that Windsor hasn't had playing together at any given time this season. It's difficult to judge Windsor's fire power because their forward unit has been decimated with injuries, suspensions, pro camps and tournaments.

I understand what you're saying with Nattinen my biggest concern is .95 ppg, last year 1.37. I think if he hovers around .95 that's okay but I believe the Spits want more out of Nattinen. The Nattinen we have seen is closer to a 3rd liner than stone cold lock as a top 6 forward. Maybe the Spits can get a guy like Bracco or Korostolev and Nattinen can take off. If you're married to Vilardi-Brown-Addison as your top line, ideally you want Knott on the 2nd line, he's been up and down in his career as well. With all the inconsistency in certain forwards you're pretty much hoping 6-7 forwards get real hot the final 25 games or so of the year.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I've admired the dedication of the Spitfire players who've been "holding the fort" during their extended road trip, and the injury situation that they've endured. Going forward, I see two possible scenarios that could develop.

Optimistically, those players who've performed so well, will build on that experience and prove to be battle-hardened, down the stretch.They will continue on and become key to their team's success. Nothing like being tested by fire, and coming out of it more tempered for having had the experience.

Pessimistically, they may have extended themselves to such a degree, that they burn out and wilt prematurely, down the stretch. Then, those players who've been absent will have to step up and carry their team mates who did so for them, earlier on. The competition, post trade deadline does escalate significantly, and teams need to become stabilized units to compete in that environment. That will not bode well if the expectation is for the team to recover completely, and gel. I know that some will be eager to discredit this scenario, but it is a possibility that can not be ignored completely.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I've admired the dedication of the Spitfire players who've been "holding the fort" during their extended road trip, and the injury situation that they've endured. Going forward, I see two possible scenarios that could develop.

Optimistically, those players who've performed so well, will build on that experience and prove to be battle-hardened, down the stretch.They will continue on and become key to their team's success. Nothing like being tested by fire, and coming out of it more tempered for having had the experience.

Pessimistically, they may have extended themselves to such a degree, that they burn out and wilt prematurely, down the stretch. Then, those players who've been absent will have to step up and carry their team mates who did so for them, earlier on. The competition, post trade deadline does escalate significantly, and teams need to become stabilized units to compete in that environment. That will not bode well if the expectation is for the team to recover completely, and gel. I know that some will be eager to discredit this scenario, but it is a possibility that can not be ignored completely.
Solid post - to add to this I think we forget sometimes the pressure these kids are under at trade deadline - we are hosting this year and the GM is saying out loud players will likely get moved - gotta be tough on then looking over their shoulder and knowing a couple of bad shifts may get them moved. For the fringe players that have worked their butt off to hold the fort it can't be a good feeling knowing in the end they may be moved. I for 1 am looking forward to Jan 11th so the players and fans know who is going forward with the Spits the rest of the year. It will be much better to analize at that point and the kids can relax a little ( although not on the ice).

Rookie2016

Mar 24, 2016
What was the point of bringing him up? Wonder if they made a trade for a veteran goalie or if they keep Culina?

Maybe it has to do with the education package? Do they not need to dress for a game for it to be official?

I'd like to see Culina stay and play a little more this half so Dipietro doesn't get burned out......I looked back at his stats throughout career and pretty darn good......don't know why the talk of replacing....anyways if they trade him hopefully team where he can play more..but nOT sure if would even get upgrade....

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I understand what you're saying with Nattinen my biggest concern is .95 ppg, last year 1.37. I think if he hovers around .95 that's okay but I believe the Spits want more out of Nattinen. The Nattinen we have seen is closer to a 3rd liner than stone cold lock as a top 6 forward. Maybe the Spits can get a guy like Bracco or Korostolev and Nattinen can take off. If you're married to Vilardi-Brown-Addison as your top line, ideally you want Knott on the 2nd line, he's been up and down in his career as well. With all the inconsistency in certain forwards you're pretty much hoping 6-7 forwards get real hot the final 25 games or so of the year.

Nattinen has been a solid 200 ft player as more than likely directed by the Ducks & coaching staff. When needed he has turned up his play towards producing offense. Most notably the game at home against NB. And the last game in London are prime examples of him shifting focus from steady positional play to point production.

With line juggling and match ups it's difficult to peg line A, B etc... but I agree the Spits do have players in depth position with the potential to get real hot. Which is a good problem to have.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Maybe it has to do with the education package? Do they not need to dress for a game for it to be official?

I'd like to see Culina stay and play a little more this half so Dipietro doesn't get burned out......I looked back at his stats throughout career and pretty darn good......don't know why the talk of replacing....anyways if they trade him hopefully team where he can play more..but nOT sure if would even get upgrade....

You are correct on the 1st point.
Will be surprised if Culina finishes the year here.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Nattinen has been a solid 200 ft player as more than likely directed by the Ducks & coaching staff. When needed he has turned up his play towards producing offense. Most notably the game at home against NB. And the last game in London are prime examples of him shifting focus from steady positional play to point production.

With line juggling and match ups it's difficult to peg line A, B etc... but I agree the Spits do have players in depth position with the potential to get real hot. Which is a good problem to have.

Agreed, solid post, time will tell on the last point

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Excellent post, being saying that all along,tough to get definitive read.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
I feel many are too tough on the Spits, yes last night they were awful for two periods but Kitchener got lucky, Windsor hit 3 posts in the third period alone. We have yet to really see this team play with a full lineup. With all their injuries they are only few points behind London and Erie. Wait till they play with a full lineup before really judging. With that being said they can't afford to lose games like they did last night, now 5 back of the SOO but with two games in hand. The SOO obviously won't keep up this pace, they're bound to lose a few, Spits with heavy home schedule, they should win this division. Good to see the big crowd last night, they are expecting an even bigger crowd tomorrow.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
How has Day looked since Sergachev/other Spits players left for WJC?

He has looked as good as before they left. Still makes the odd bone headed play in the defensive zone but that's his nature and what we were told to expect when he arrived. All in all he's probably in the top 6 D-men in the OHL. IMHO

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Game day Windsor vs Flint in a 1.00 matinee affair, before was is supposed to be sold out crowd,in fact this game and the game vs London on Tuesday is reportedly sold out, attendance on Thursday vs Kitchener was 5715, nice to see some good crowds.Anyhow back to hockeye talk,for this one against Flint,I expect Michael Dipietro back between the pipes for Windsor, despite playing back to back on Wednesday and Thursday past, didn't see alot of work, only 40 shots between the 2 games,so fatigue and wear should not be a factor this afternoon.If there is any fatigue and wear,it may be the opponents,as Flint played last night vs Saginaw at home,game went into OT,which Flint won 3-2 on a goal by Mathieu Henderson.
Mario Culina will be dressed for Windsor replacing Brock Baier who has been returned to Listowel JR B.
Graham Knott will return to action after serving his 4 game suspension,and he will be a welcome addition to a lineup still missing some key players.
Not dressed for Windsor will be Julius Nattinen and Mikhail Sergachev both away at World Juniors,and winger Cole Carter who is out for another 3 weeks with an upper body injury.Only player I know for Flint out of the lineup is winger Luke Kirwan (concussion) suffered the last time these teams met a month ago,though he is practicing.
Spits need to jump on these guys early and take advantage of Flint's possible fatigue.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game day Windsor vs Flint in a 1.00 matinee affair, before was is supposed to be sold out crowd,in fact this game and the game vs London on Tuesday is reportedly sold out, attendance on Thursday vs Kitchener was 5715, nice to see some good crowds.Anyhow back to hockeye talk,for this one against Flint,I expect Michael Dipietro back between the pipes for Windsor, despite playing back to back on Wednesday and Thursday past, didn't see alot of work, only 40 shots between the 2 games,so fatigue and wear should not be a factor this afternoon.If there is any fatigue and wear,it may be the opponents,as Flint played last night vs Saginaw at home,game went into OT,which Flint won 3-2 on a goal by Mathieu Henderson.
Mario Culina will be dressed for Windsor replacing Brock Baier who has been returned to Listowel JR B.
Graham Knott will return to action after serving his 4 game suspension,and he will be a welcome addition to a lineup still missing some key players.
Not dressed for Windsor will be Julius Nattinen and Mikhail Sergachev both away at World Juniors,and winger Cole Carter who is out for another 3 weeks with an upper body injury.Only player I know for Flint out of the lineup is winger Luke Kirwan (concussion) suffered the last time these teams met a month ago,though he is practicing.
Spits need to jump on these guys early and take advantage of Flint's possible fatigue.
Yes they need to hit the ice flying and play a full 60 minutes - too many games with full periods of just going through the motions - my favorite line - hard work beats skill every time.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Lots of tickets received from Christmas n bad wagon jumpers r starting to show.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
The few games Ive watched mind you have been on the tube this season but it seems like there is not much excitement by fans in most of the buildings that Ive seen, they just seem to sit there ho hum.Has the atmosphere took a turn for the worse ????

:rant::popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad