Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Brown and Vilardi were off about thw same time. One had surgery and probably had to take it easy to get healed, one had a sore wrist. Can you tell which one was which.

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Everyone talks about how Windsor has a heavy home schedule in the 2nd half so I looked at it.

After tonight Windsor has 20 home games, Soo 18, Erie 16 and London 14.

Not a huge advantage over the Soo. Over London sure.

Nyax

Oct 2, 2008
Parts Unknown
The offensive ineptitude continues. Warren better find some guys who can put the puck in the net or this team won't get out of the first round. They have a hard enough time scrapping by the bottom feeders of the league.:help:

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
finally get a home game and all we get to see is one period.
why cant we play the entire game like the third period? This team isnt good enough to be taking periods off

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
2-1 Rangers final.

The good:

- Windsor out-shoots them by nearly 2:1 ratio, I believe.
- Brown looks confident with the puck. He looked passive at times but he certainly used his size to drive the net more and looked hungry.
- Your top guys stepped up with effort; Brown, Addison, Vilardi, DiGi all played well.

The bad:

- Zero PP. They're missing Nattinen pretty bad. They looked lost with the man advantage.

- No hustle in the second. I don't know what was going through their heads but it wasn't pretty.

- Finishing. They missed with some bad bounces but they have to bury the shots they get in close. This doesn't take away from Opilka but you can't have 36 shots and just one goal.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
finally get a home game and all we get to see is one period.
why cant we play the entire game like the third period? This team isnt good enough to be taking periods off
Agreed - best period of hockey they played all year - problem was it was the 3rd period after they laid an egg in the first 2 periods. Rocky needs to have them play like that for 60 minutes, easier said then done I'm sure but it has to change. They have not put together a solid game in their last 4. The talent is there - they showed that in the third - just need to hit the ground running at the start of the first. Kitchener played a great road game and it was goaltending that stole it for them in the 3rd.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The offensive ineptitude continues. Warren better find some guys who can put the puck in the net or this team won't get out of the first round. They have a hard enough time scrapping by the bottom feeders of the league.:help:

It was a pretty poor performance they have lost 3 of 4. These past 2 games they haven't led for 1 single second during the game. I understand there have been a lot of accolades for how the Spits have played on the road but meanwhile the Hounds have been playing 16-1-1 hockey over their past 18. It's quite possible the Spits will need to have a streak where they win 13 of 14 and hope the Soo hit some slide where they go 8-4 over 12 games or something like that. The question is do the Spits have the focus, pace, sense of urgency, leadership to put together a very long string of wins.

Rychel says he would like 2 forwards maybe 1 in the end he would be okay with. I still believe they should look for another D. If one of their top 4 goes down eg. Sergachev away at world juniors. Today 3 of your 6 were Nother-McEneny-Burns that isn't good enough imo to win an OHL title and certainly not a Memorial Cup.

They really need a game where they can pop 6 or 7 and get players feeling good but I don't think they play a system that would be able to get them playing up tempo. They had more shots tonight but a lot of 1 and done zero rebounds for the most part.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I understand there have been a lot of accolades for how the Spits have played on the road but meanwhile the Hounds have been playing 16-1-1 hockey over their past 18. I

I've never understood comparisons like this. Windsor had a fantastic road trip, all things considered. That's period. The Hounds playing phenomenal hockey takes nothing away from what Windsor has done. If you win 750k and someone else wins 1M, do you shrug because they won more? No, they're both outstanding. Yes, it means Windsor has to continue winning but that's likely to happen. I don't see SSM going 16-1-1 over every 18-game period.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I've never understood comparisons like this. Windsor had a fantastic road trip, all things considered. That's period. The Hounds playing phenomenal hockey takes nothing away from what Windsor has done. If you win 750k and someone else wins 1M, do you shrug because they won more? No, they're both outstanding. Yes, it means Windsor has to continue winning but that's likely to happen. I don't see SSM going 16-1-1 over every 18-game period.

When your in direct competition with them, ya you take it into account, "all things considered"
Esp when youve only played an extra couple roads games as mentioned above in the thread. And the road trip to the Soo is tougher than then toWindsor for most teams.

So Windsor is likely to keep winning ( you say this is "likely") but the Soo is not? Why Ohltg? Id like to jear ypur reasoning for this statement.

Interesting considering the Soo will get Speers back.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So Windsor is likely to keep winning ( you say this is "likely") but the Soo is not? Why Ohltg? Id like to jear ypur reasoning for this statement.

Which is more likely - Windsor continuing at an 8-2-4 pace or SSM's 16-1-1 pace?

That's what I was referring to. Windsor has the team to continue playing hockey at that pace, or better, given they'll get a full roster sometime in the next couple of weeks (minus Carter, maybe). SSM won't be 16-1-1 every 18 games. They'll fall to reality at some point.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
When your in direct competition with them, ya you take it into account, "all things considered"
Esp when youve only played an extra couple roads games as mentioned above in the thread. And the road trip to the Soo is tougher than then toWindsor for most teams.

Interesting considering the Soo will get Speers back.

Exactly the Soo has won at a .750 clip if they were to do that the rest of the way which is a far cry from 16-1-1 that would put them at 102 points.

Spits would would need to play .779 hockey in order to catch the Soo. That would put them at 103 points. It might not be a big deal now but the Soo is already 4 games ahead in the win column. Is it possible that the Spits end up with more wins? Sure it is but we have played half the season to date so you kind of have a real good idea of what the team is.

People have mentioned that the Spits have more home games the rest of the year well the Hounds play 4 of their next 5 on the road. Their remaining 27 games 19 will be at home and 12 on the road.

It's that time the whip needs to be cracked the team is talented enough to win the division but the team isn't talented enough to take 25 minutes off per night. It's quite possible the Soo gets #1 seed overall in the west I certainly wouldn't want the Spits to be the 4 seed.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Which is more likely - Windsor continuing at an 8-2-4 pace or SSM's 16-1-1 pace?

That's what I was referring to. Windsor has the team to continue playing hockey at that pace, or better, given they'll get a full roster sometime in the next couple of weeks (minus Carter, maybe). SSM won't be 16-1-1 every 18 games. They'll fall to reality at some point.

Actually it might be most likely for SSM. Forget missing players, look at the schedule

Vs the teams I find to be most competitive on any given night and should be the toughest down the stretch considering trades (SSM, Erie, London, Windsor, Owen Sound) -

SSM has just 5 games with those teams above

Erie with 9 games

Windsor with 10 games

London with 13 games

Currently SSM has the easiest schedule the second half of the year. A bunch of Flint, Saginaw, Sarnia, Guelph games for them. They don't have to play Erie again and play London 2 times, Windsor 2 times, Owen Sound 1 time. It's a schedule that could favor them heavily the rest of the way. Considering the top 4 teams are likely to be competitive come playoff time, potentially top 5 teams. I don't think there is any awful seeding. Sure you would like home ice and higher seeding but ultimately rounds 2-3 will be tough for all. The biggest is to avoid the 4 seed where you will likely get OS in round one, and then face 2 of Erie/Windsor/SSM/London in round 2-3. Would not be ideal.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
OHLTG and Rayzor both sound very confident in their chosen teams. Rayzor with the Hounds, OHLTG with his home town Spitfires. You guys need to sack up and bet on this. The loser leaves the Spits board for 2017/18.

That would make this race a lot more exciting for the rest of us. I think you guys are all talk so I don't expect anything to come of this challenge. And no Rayzor you can't just post as Windsor7 in the Windsor thread if the Hounds don't come through for you.:popcorn:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
OHLTG and Rayzor both sound very confident in their chosen teams. Rayzor with the Hounds, OHLTG with his home town Spitfires. You guys need to sack up and bet on this. The loser leaves the Spits board for 2017/18.

That would make this race a lot more exciting for the rest of us. I think you guys are all talk so I don't expect anything to come of this challenge. And no Rayzor you can't just post as Windsor7 in the Windsor thread if the Hounds don't come through for you.:popcorn:

I am up for that. I would like to finalize details after January 11th trade deadline. I would finalize it before that Thurs/Fri. Maybe the Hounds add Korostolev, maybe the Spits get Vande Sompel and Cirelli. Maybe the Spits get Bracco instead of the above 2 I mentioned. As long as the Spits don't hitch their wagon to Logan Brown they can catch the Soo. I know who Windsor7 is, if OHLTG thinks hard he can figure it out as well. I am sure the mods here would also see that there's no way I have a 2nd username. It's not that I don't want the Spits to win it's mathematics and odds I remember back in 14/15 when the Spits were 2-3 points back of the playoffs with 20 games left but some people didn't understand how difficult it is to make up those points. The Spits fell 10 points short of the playoffs. Can the Spits catch the Soo? Sure they can but as h10 showed it's going to be extremely difficult especially if you play 33% of your games in OT and you're just flipping a coin in 3 on 3 and chalking it up to luck or some turnover. I will up the ante as well

I just hope Rocky is just saying stuff in the paper to protect his players and he doesn't believe what he says. He said the Rangers were the more rested team and the Spits coming off that huge road trip contributed to this. The Spits hadn't played a road game in 10 days until last night. I understand there's a new age of coaching but at some point you need the crack the whip. If the Spits are to make a move they need to do it when they have 5 straight home games in late Feb early Mar but of those 5 games 3 of them are against Ldn/Erie/Soo.

Youngblood love your posts keep it up.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
OHLTG and Rayzor both sound very confident in their chosen teams. Rayzor with the Hounds, OHLTG with his home town Spitfires. You guys need to sack up and bet on this. The loser leaves the Spits board for 2017/18

Nah, I'm good. I clearly believe in this team but won't risk losing an outlet. That said, if we want to do a friendly wager involving food or beverage at a game, we can go that route.

I know who Windsor7 is, if OHLTG thinks hard he can figure it out as well.

I had an idea but, when I asked the person at the game, was told I was wrong. I'm sure I could guess other names but I don't see the point.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Win some Lose some

So the Spits lost a game to a fairly decent opponent last night. Big deal but don't try to blame it on an extended road trip. People are making it out to be 40 days in the WILDERNESS. They played road games yes but they returned home after every 2-3 games and probably spent more time in Windsor each week than on the road.
I see that WR, according to the Star, wants to pick up 2 forwards or at least 1. I hope that's just for public consumption because if that's all he gets done this will remain a good team, not the team to beat.
My opinion still remains ...the Spits need 2 Forwards ( a top 3 & a top 6), a #4 Dman and a backup goalie. Will that be easily accomplished, hell no, but IMHO that's what they need.
You can bet yer sweet azz that the other top teams will be adding top talent and one way or another we'd better keep up....

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

You say Spits should add a D,and with the McEneny,Nother and Burns as the 4,5,6 not good enough to win championship or Mem Cup,u honestly think London without Mete,SSM without White,and Erie without Raddysh would win, hardly think so, Hounds with Calvados,Demeo and Liguerre, London, Bouchard,Nattinen Golden,and Erie with Fergus, Byrne and Wainman is hardly inspiring.
Most unbiased hockey people would take Sergachev ahead of the teams best dman anyways, however only comparison purposes only used.
Windsor's need is a forward or 2, not a D,not that I would one down,our competition especially the Hounds need help on the D,more then Windsor.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Comments re last night, despite a sluggish start against a rested team, Windsor by far the better team overall, other team goalie named 1st star for a reason,he and the posts/ crossbars the only reason Windsor lost,18-2 in shots in the 3rd,plus 2 crossbars and a post, another post earlier in the contest,no PPS in the 3rd,no puck luck what so ever, Rangers were on the ropes most of 3rd. Would sooner have lost 5-1 instead of the way last night,I will give them a pass this time,very similar when teams come back after being away for a long time in the NHL,and a little flat,toss in getting home at 12.45 the night before against a more rested squad as mentioned earlier mattered here last night,once the Spits got it going it wasn't pretty for Kitchener,take the 2 points and run.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

So the Spits lost a game to a fairly decent opponent last night. Big deal but don't try to blame it on an extended road trip. People are making it out to be 40 days in the WILDERNESS. They played road games yes but they returned home after every 2-3 games and probably spent more time in Windsor each week than on the road.
I see that WR, according to the Star, wants to pick up 2 forwards or at least 1. I hope that's just for public consumption because if that's all he gets done this will remain a good team, not the team to beat.
My opinion still remains ...the Spits need 2 Forwards ( a top 3 & a top 6), a #4 Dman and a backup goalie. Will that be easily accomplished, hell no, but IMHO that's what they need.
You can bet yer sweet azz that the other top teams will be adding top talent and one way or another we'd better keep up....

Agree re the need for a forward or 2,
Definitely disagreement about a need for a #4d, Sergachev,Day, Chatfield and Stanley are the best foursome in the O,imo,add Dipietro and there is a reason the team's#1 in team defense and goaltending in the league.No need to get experienced backup either,all the others don't have them,we don't one either.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Rayzor

You say Spits should add a D,and with the McEneny,Nother and Burns as the 4,5,6 not good enough to win championship or Mem Cup,u honestly think London without Mete,SSM without White,and Erie without Raddysh would win, hardly think so, Hounds with Calvados,Demeo and Liguerre, London, Bouchard,Nattinen Golden,and Erie with Fergus, Byrne and Wainman is hardly inspiring.
Most unbiased hockey people would take Sergachev ahead of the teams best dman anyways, however only comparison purposes only used.
Windsor's need is a forward or 2, not a D,not that I would one down,our competition especially the Hounds need help on the D,more then Windsor.

HL: You forgot Juolevi (London).
Just sayin'...

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Knights

HL: You forgot Juolevi (London).
Just sayin'...

Didn't forget Juolevi,the discussion was bottom 3 -D brought forward by
Rayzor,
Mete, Juolevi, Crawley, London's top 3, Sergachev, Day, Chatfield, Windsor's
It was, McEneny,Nother,Burns,and comparison to other teams Bottom 3, taking out Sergachev,Mete, Raddysh and White.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Didn't forget Juolevi,the discussion was bottom 3 -D brought forward by
Rayzor,
Mete, Juolevi, Crawley, London's top 3, Sergachev, Day, Chatfield, Windsor's
It was, McEneny,Nother,Burns,and comparison to other teams Bottom 3, taking out Sergachev,Mete, Raddysh and White.

OK. I see.
Could it be that Rocky decided to focus on "defence first" given all the injuries up front--to hold the fort, so to speak, until he had a full lineup? I think the Spits have been exceptional in that department. Number one in goals against.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Rayzor

I understand your argument but Fergus is actually a solid defender.
+27 this year puts him in second place among all defenders in league and first on the Otters. He played top 4 minutes last year and yet again this year. Vastly underrated because of his size but he's not some spare part player. Either is Bryne.

Most teams would obviously be hurt if they lost a top 2 defender or starting goalie and it's irrelevant to make a trade for a player just "in case" of injury.
Windsor needs a legitimate playermaker to compete with the other offenses. Erie third in GA, London second. Both of those teams have netminders and defense as well. But they also have much more firepower at this moment. Windsor right now, closer to the middle of the pack with offense than at the top.

GA ranking
Windsor -1
London -2
Erie -3

GF ranking
Erie -2
London - 3
Windsor -12

Yes Windsor statistically has the best GA. But by slim margins to Erie in London for example. Erie and London can both play that low scoring game. The difference currently is that Erie and London can also score 5-6 goals on any given night with the firepower they have.
If Windsor adds a guy like Bracco.. they will likely close that gap

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

OK. I see.
Could it be that Rocky decided to focus on "defence first" given all the injuries up front--to hold the fort, so to speak, until he had a full lineup? I think the Spits have been exceptional in that department. Number one in goals against.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, Nelli27, astute observation

Last edited by a moderator:

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Agree re the need for a forward or 2,
Definitely disagreement about a need for a #4d, Sergachev,Day, Chatfield and Stanley are the best foursome in the O,imo,add Dipietro and there is a reason the team's#1 in team defense and goaltending in the league.No need to get experienced backup either,all the others don't have them,we don't one either.

Like a dog with a bone, I won't give up. Let me come at this from a different direction.
1st we agree the Spits need (2) Forwards. The best we can afford.
This leaves us with (4) cards.......
WR says he wants to save (2) in hopes Keller or Fischer come back...we might also include Frederick, Warren or any other US player who's rights could be acquired via trade in that group and who'd be willing to come play in the Memorial Cup.

This still leaves us with (2) count em cards.... Do we..
A) as Archie Bunker might say...flush em down the terlet or
B) use them to improve the D and get an experienced back up goaltender.

What would you do with the 2 cards? Perhaps use option A? I suspect not..it seems to me that the fans were weeping and gnashing their teeth not two many years ago about poor card management..
What if a decent O/A tender or O/A Dman became available at a bargain price or even on waivers at the end would you replace DiGi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad