• Dirty

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
But, please, continue to take the moral high ground while defending a man with more boarding majors than any other player in the league over the course of his career. Continue to pretend he is being unfairly criticized by "haters".

I have seen this said a few times. I would like to see a list of who gets what type of penalties. Where did you see this?

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Why not just come out and say it is just a free for all? Anything goes. No refs or anything. No b.s. about player safety. Just pure, unadulterated warfare on ice. For the love of all things good, they put George Parros in charge of player safety for crying out loud. Why even put on the pretense that they care one iota about reckless behavior or any type type of civility?

I mean Daniel Carcillo has a real problem with the hit. Probably makes Raffi Torres quesy.

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Crazy the poll is 48% - 51%. This is a very tricky hit to call. I still think you can't suspend a player just because the hit looks violent.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I miss the days of Tony Twist & Dave Tiger Williams. You crossed the line back then, you answered the bell...no turtling what so ever...

In the days of Tiger Williams we would be chiselling out a marble statue of Tom Wilson, not having a 100 page debate about what is AT THE WORST a borderline hit.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I don't agree. I think fighting can be in the game with a blanket ban to hits to the head.

"Fighting" takes mutual consent. Both players drop the gloves and essentially consent to what's about to happen, understand the risks of getting punched.

But no player consents to having their jaw broken and concussed because they were playing the puck. There is no assumed risk when you take a pass you're about to have someone drive through your head.

You can change the headshot rule to anyway you want to change it. You can make it as specific of a rule as you can get BUT if the rule still might allow contact to the head under very unusual circumstances.... then players like Tom Wilson will hit people in that very unusual way to keep making contact to people's head. They will work on it non stop until they've perfected it, like Wilson has already done under the current system.

Yeah I had this big post done and all.. and I frikking left the page and all my text went MIA.

With that said, I dont agree with yout stance on fighting. But that's a discussion for another day :P

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Princeton is a clown college.
to a yale man im sure it looks like a community college.

Did you happen to read the " a day in the life of george parros and the dops" in the atheltic ? Probably not, its easier to insinuate that guys with degrees from highly selective ivy league colleges are mouthbreathers.

whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
In the days of Tiger Williams we would be chiselling out a marble statue of Tom Wilson, not having a 100 page debate about what is AT THE WORST a borderline hit.

Why? Williams wasn't a great open ice hitter. He just chucked 'em with anyone.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
And therin lies the problem. Too many people in high places, yearning for the “good old days” of hockey where guys got their melons smashed on a nightly basis and everyone loved it.

I would hope that we’ve moved beyond what could be compared to gladiator matches back in the day and into a new era where the ACTUAL GAME OF HOCKEY is the focus, not taking uneccessary runs and engaging in the post whistle shit show stuff.

Reactions: Bumpus

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Yeah I had this big post done and all.. and I frikking left the page and all my text went MIA.

With that said, I dont agree with yout stance on fighting. But that's a discussion for another day :P
probably just as well. there are only a couple posters actually reading all this nonsense anyway

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I say again, a ten year old could win the coming lawsuit. The league has made it beyond clear that they do not give a damn about sending messages or making rule changes to protect players. The NFL went down this road screaming too and eventually passed a number of rules that have reduced head shots markedly.

Ken Dryden has called for suspensions for any shot to the head no matter intent.

Eventually the NHL will get there but I expect too late to avoid a devastating judgment.

Gary Bettman On WFAN: Attacks On NHL Over Concussions Are Unfair

I am a season ticket holder for a decade and a half, and because of attitudes like this I want the NHL to go down the tubes. Human beings >>>> than what some of you neanderthals expect and want.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
And therin lies the problem. Too many people in high places, yearning for the “good old days” of hockey where guys got their melons smashed on a nightly basis and everyone loved it.

I would hope that we’ve moved beyond what could be compared to gladiator matches back in the day and into a new era where the ACTUAL GAME OF HOCKEY is the focus, not taking uneccessary runs and engaging in the post whistle **** show stuff.

You can't argue with what they don't know. They look at the PIM and they think these guys were throwing huge checks all game. Not the reality: that they ran them up in scrums between plays.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
so we have a guy who assumes that everyone who has a hearing is guilty and they have to prove they are not ? That's one FINE ass system of justice you have imagined there. just because most systems we consider to be just and which we base our laws on do it the other way, what do they know?

Everyone is guilty !
No. Not everyone is guilty until proven innocent. However, I don’t see what is so hard to understand about guys who are habitual offenders. He’s proven himself guilty multiple times a year. When does someone finally just cut the cord and get rid of the problem.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I have been watching the NHL since the 80's. This stuff was par for the course then and into the 90's. Some of these fans wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they were fans back then.

I'd love to see 5 instances where a guys jaw was broken from receiving a hit. If it was "par for the course" then it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Now, if you meant the act of head hunting like Wilson clearly is a fan of, then I'll agree with you. Only issue is back then you'd have to pay the piper. Now you get to sit on the bench and laugh at the guy whose jaw you just busted.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

I would hope that we’ve moved beyond what could be compared to gladiator matches back in the day and into a new era where the ACTUAL GAME OF HOCKEY is the focus, not taking uneccessary runs and engaging in the post whistle **** show stuff.
you are 100% right. so much better to settle beefs at the end of a stick. its just so much more efficient to fell an opponent with one sear to the throat then have to go through the whole rigomarole of squaring up, seeking consent, dropping the gloves, grabbing a hand full of jesey. I mean really, I'm busy, who has time for all of that ?

and the ACTUAL GAME OF HOCKEY at the NHL level has never EVER existed without shennanigans so im not sure what actual means in this context

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
How have they still not communicated a decision yet? This is ridiculous. I'm sure both teams would like to know if he'll be in the lineup tomorrow so they can gameplan one way or the other.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Princeton is a clown college.
Of the tens of thousands that have attended Princeton leave it to the NHL to pick the guy who made his living beating guys heads open with his bare fists to choose as the director of player safety.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Jacob

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Did you read Bettman's claims that CTE doesn't exist this week? Idiotic given the current litigation. And that was one part of the NFL suit.

Again, of course playing professional sports has a risk. The question is whether there was any attempt to mitigate and reduce that risk or was it ignored to jolt ratings/attendance? Also, was the risk fully and fairly communicated? Those are off the top of my head, I am sure that the complaint had hundreds of pages and hundreds of thousands of pages were filed so much more would be alleged and other liability theories advanced.

I think his comments throughout the time is that he is skeptical of research linking concussions to CTE. Still dumb either way. Yes agreed that the complaint had hundreds if not thousands of pages and likely a similar number of complaints, argue a lot, hope something sticks.

NFL also settled and didn't have to admit to wrong doing. I'm not sure if that plays into how precedence/case history work.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
from that angle it almost looks like he crushed his face/jaw when he hit the ice

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
"...for an illegal check to the head.."

Self explanatory
They could have just said "for a check to the head"

But they included the word illegal, so....
You know you’re wrong right? Look at the other DoPS tweets. They put the name of the rule in question in the tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad