• Dirty

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
It's split that way, because there's a lot of idiots out there who think some of the following:

- He should have had his head up (he did, and even braced for the hit)
- The hit was a great hit even though he hit him in the head (the NHL has rules around this)
- That because he hit the shoulder, that it doesn't matter if he hit him in the head (again, the NHL has rules around this)
- That he didn't hit the head at all, or that he hit the neck/chest area first and thus it's all good (that's not how the rule is written)

The fact of the matter is that Wilson had the chance to just go shoulder to shoulder. All he had to do was continue on his path and hit ZAR with his right shoulder, and it would have been a great legal hit - the kind ever fan likes to see. Instead as he's going in to hit him, he rotates, misses most of the body and shoulder and hits him mainly in the head with his left shoulder. That took this hit from a potentially great legal hit, to a devastating illegal hit. This was a choice that Wilson made. He had a lot of time to make a decision on this, and made a very very poor one. He should be thankful as **** that he wasn't given 5, 10 and a game, because that would actually punish the team and not just him.
Anyone who thinks the head wasn't hit is just a fool honestly, it's quite obvious both the shoulder and head/jaw got caught. It's on video, and it seems the head was the MPOC. I agree with just about everything you said. But fact remains, there IS some grey area for hits like these, and I just wish there weren't. Some big hits to the head result from (currently) legal hits.
The NHL needs to get their heads out their asses and make things black and white via the rulebook. No headshots - at all.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Part of Oshie's response on ESPN:
"Yes, his head gets hit. But there's been a million times when I've gotten hit, I go to the ref, I say I was hit in the head, and the ref just says, 'He's bigger than you.' That's the way it goes. I've gotten blown up a couple times this year, and I didn't complain about it."

So he has been hit in the head "a million times" and each time he goes to the ref then says he didn't complain about it. Either he is legitimately dumb or a hypocrite.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Except its nowhere near borderline and he has a history. Look at the overhead angle and tell me with a straight face he didnt hit him in the head. Its laughable.

you CANNOT break someones jaw, without something hitting their jaw. Its not exactly rocket science.

No, I agree there was clearly contact with head. It was his shoulder to jaw. I did not think there was an intent to injure.

I think his reputation and history is the only reason it is 3 games. I think if a player without history made that hit, there would be nothing more than a warning, maybe a game.

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
Right, going for a hard big hit is fine.

Sure we'll say he was aiming for the shoulder.

I disagree that ZAR lowers himself before the hit, he braces and if anything raises up a bit.

This is where I differ and why he was suspended, the initial point of contact may have been the shoulder, also may not have been. But, we can see that the principal point of contact was the head, which explains why it is not a clean hit because the brunt of the force was to the head.

The repeat offender part is why he gets 3 games instead of 1-2.

Not saying he didn't hit the head but clearly it was shoulder first...Wilson is stronger had more speed and was the one giving the hit...the follow through did hit ZAR head and it ended badly.

I have no team in this series just think if it wasn't Wilson and the track record would the call and reaction be the same? No it wouldn't

This game is played a full speed. Did Wilson want to crush him with a huge hit? Yes that is for sure but personally I don't want this type of play out of hockey...head hunting yes but Wilson has a history so i get it.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
I think this event perfectly capsulizes the problem with the NHL. They can't rise to the level of MLB, the NFL, or the NBA. In the NHL, people don't talk about the stars. They don't talk about the equivalents of Curry or Brady. Just look at this thread. We are talking about a guy with, really, relatively minimal skill. His biggest skill is being big and being willing to maim his opponents. We aren't talking about Ovy or Crosby.

Really, Canadian fans don't want skill, unless it's their team. Philly fans don't want skill, unless it's their team. In fact, most fans of most teams don't want skill, unless it's their team. When it's not their team, they want guys like this dimwit Wilson to just go out and extract some pound of flesh. Out of who? A guy like Aston-Reese, who is a friggin' nobody. What the HELL does that prove?

Wilson's suspended, and the Caps will replace him with a player of better talent, but less truculence, so it's considered a net negative. The Pens will replace Aston-Reese with another no-name 4th liner. Ultimately the series won't turn on him, either. And yet, here we are, on page 168 or so of this thread.

Really, it's inane. The whole premise of the sport is inane. Most of YOU are inane.

I used to be inane myself. I admit it. But I figured this out a while ago and have distanced myself. I no longer am a Pens season ticket holder. I no longer pay for Center Ice. I watch maybe 15 games a year on free TV.

It's a shame, really, but this is what the people running this league want, and they are getting it. And as soon as somebody dies on the ice, it will be all over. If the NHL were a stock, I'd sell.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Part of Oshie's response on ESPN:
"Yes, his head gets hit. But there's been a million times when I've gotten hit, I go to the ref, I say I was hit in the head, and the ref just says, 'He's bigger than you.' That's the way it goes. I've gotten blown up a couple times this year, and I didn't complain about it."

So he has been hit in the head "a million times" and each time he goes to the ref then says he didn't complain about it. Either he is legitimately dumb or a hypocrite.

That or simply telling the referee where he got hit isn't actually complaining.

However, he is complaining in his comments to ESPN. But he was referring in the past tense so it still technically checks out.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The league needs to change the wording from "the principal point of contact" to "a principal point of contact". I would clear up the the whole "but he made some contact with the shoulder/chest first" debate. Lesser, incidental or secondary head contact would be excluded as it fails the principal point of contact test, whether you use "a" or "the".

Reactions: Crosbyfan

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Not saying he didn't hit the head but clearly it was shoulder first...Wilson is stronger had more speed and was the one giving the hit...the follow through did hit ZAR head and it ended badly.

I have no team in this series just think if it wasn't Wilson and the track record would the call and reaction be the same? No it wouldn't

This game is played a full speed. Did Wilson want to crush him with a huge hit? Yes that is for sure but personally I don't want this type of play out of hockey...head hunting yes but Wilson has a history so i get it.
Says they want head hunting out of the league.

At best borderline hit by player with noted history of head hunting and cheap shots which breaks a players jaw because the majority of the force of the hit ended up to the head but wants that type of play left in hockey.

Yep, checks out.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Neutral fan who hates the Pens and who at one point lived near D.C. In short I have no reason to be biased for Pittsburgh or against Washington, and if anything you’d expect me to go the other way.

Personally in a vacuum I see the hit as being borderline, and in general I’m inclined to give players the benefit of the doubt when it comes to borderline hits where both players are moving, as the slightest error in timing, a discrepancy in height, or a last-second move by the target can take what would have been a clean hit and turn it into an unlawful one. It’s a different story altogether when you’re talking about a blindside hit against a stationary player, but in this sort of situation my personal opinion (as opposed to what the rules state) is that the intent to contact the head needs to be clear-cut before I’ll call it a dirty hit.

That said given Wilson’s history I have no problem whatsoever with the suspension. It’s been said that you are what you repeatedly do; Wilson has repeatedly engaged in dirty play so in this case he does not receive the benefit of the doubt as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: kladorf2005

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I think this event perfectly capsulizes the problem with the NHL. They can't rise to the level of MLB, the NFL, or the NBA. In the NHL, people don't talk about the stars. They don't talk about the equivalents of Curry or Brady. Just look at this thread. We are talking about a guy with, really, relatively minimal skill. His biggest skill is being big and being willing to maim his opponents. We aren't talking about Ovy or Crosby.

Really, Canadian fans don't want skill, unless it's their team. Philly fans don't want skill, unless it's their team. In fact, most fans of most teams don't want skill, unless it's their team. When it's not their team, they want guys like this dimwit Wilson to just go out and extract some pound of flesh. Out of who? A guy like Aston-Reese, who is a friggin' nobody. What the HELL does that prove?

Wilson's suspended, and the Caps will replace him with a player of better talent, but less truculence, so it's considered a net negative. The Pens will replace Aston-Reese with another no-name 4th liner. Ultimately the series won't turn on him, either. And yet, here we are, on page 168 or so of this thread.

Really, it's inane. The whole premise of the sport is inane. Most of YOU are inane.

I used to be inane myself. I admit it. But I figured this out a while ago and have distanced myself. I no longer am a Pens season ticket holder. I no longer pay for Center Ice. I watch maybe 15 games a year on free TV.

It's a shame, really, but this is what the people running this league want, and they are getting it. And as soon as somebody dies on the ice, it will be all over. If the NHL were a stock, I'd sell.
You're a Pens fan? Because I think I love you. Your post sums up my feelings pretty well. It's quite hyperbolic but I'm not above a good bit of hyperbole myself.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
No, I agree there was clearly contact with head. It was his shoulder to jaw. I did not think there was an intent to injure.

I think his reputation and history is the only reason it is 3 games. I think if a player without history made that hit, there would be nothing more than a warning, maybe a game.

Though possible, there should not need to have intent to injure to get a 3 game suspension. If someone is intending to injure they should get 20 minimum.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Debunking the rumors of Caps-Pens Game Three
Wilson wasn't laughing at Aston-Reese and last I checked its acceptable for him to smile and laugh under normal circumstances.

So I'm suppose to trust this site that has the following up top (circled)..

Wilson.png

RMNB's Free Willy shirt

No bias at all and would have no reason to put this story out if not true....said nobody ever!

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

This is one thread out of probably 100 playoff threads. There are many Crosby and Ovie threads amongst all of the other threads about the leagues stars. Tom Wilson has had a major impact in the playoffs so far and plays a key role for the Caps. Almost a point per game player and intimidating other teams physically and mentally. I guess you really aren't much of a fan anymore because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Don't know what you are talking about talking about how fans don't want skill. The league put in rules after the lockout to allow skill to be more prominent and the league has grown immensely since then and continues to grow. Look at the franchise fee for Vegas. I wouldn't want you as my stock broker because the NHLs is only rising.

Wilson wasn't trying to make some big statement by taking out ZAR. He likes to take runs at people and a situation where someone was vulnerable presented itself and he pounced. Wilson is without a doubt a big loss for the Capitals.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Wilson laughing afterwards is probally why they added a game or two. Just like crimes committed off the ice, lack of remorse will get you a bigger sentence.

Reactions: Incognito

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So I'm suppose to trust this site that has the following up top (circled)..

Wilson.png

RMNB's Free Willy shirt

No bias at all and would have no reason to put this story out if not true....said nobody ever!
They also synced up a video review with Jay Beagle's "testimony" and confirmed it. The depths you'll go to to defame Wilson are shameful and pathetic.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
They also synced up a video review with Jay Beagle's "testimony" and confirmed it. The depths you'll go to to defame Wilson are shameful and pathetic.

Wilson's only claim to fame as an NHL player is repeatedly being suspended and playing (and sometimes crossing over) on the edge of legal. The mods had to shut down a poll in that sub forum after about 20 minutes because it was like 85% (Wilson IS dirty) to 15% (Wilson not dirty).

The still shot the NHL provided is all the proof you need to see he impacted the jaw directly, left his feet, thrusting upward, which is proven by science given he landed in the f***ing Caps bench.

The lengths Caps fans will go to for this guy is worse then Bruins fans sticking up for Marchand....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad