• Clean

• Dirty

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Every Penguin fan in here has a short memory. They cheered plenty for Matt Cooke.
Yeah when he scored a goal or a nice hit, but not his dirty garbage like the Savard hit or his many nasty hits that don't belong in the game. I dunno why Caps fans keep bringing up Cooke when he played for the Washington Capitals as well, not just the Pens.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Cooke at least would drop the gloves and fight after the stupid **** he'd do. More then one can say for Wilson.

Cooke would also use his skate to deliberately injure players. Something we have yet to see Wilson do. Cooke also ended careers, something we have yet to see Wilson do.

Wilson is the lesser of two evils here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Every Penguin fan in here has a short memory. They cheered plenty for Matt Cooke.

Yes - for the goals and his help in winning a Stanley Cup - not for head shotting guys. Big difference there.

Why make up lies? Lol Cooke had like 3 fights in his career. Wilson is at the top of the league in fights each year.

So you're saying that he didn't fight Thornton after leveling Savard with what was then considered a legal hit? Because youtube says otherwise.

Reactions: bigkam

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Seriously though. If it takes much longer then this thread is going to turn from Pens fans complaining about the hit to Caps fans complaining about the lateness of the suspension. How mind-bendingly difficult can it be?

Still going through the rule book to figure out what they can get him for? As Beria told Stalin: "Show me the man, and I'll find you the crime"

There's not a lot of dispassionate rendering of opinions in this thread, but if it's not charging and not boarding and not interference and not elbowing and not targetting the head (replays do not indicate that), and nothing called on the ice... then what's the hearing for anyway?

Reactions: ArJuna

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I don't get stuff like this.

Why should people get sued for players getting injured? Its a consequence of the said job.

Its a privilege to play, not a right. No one is holding these athletes to play. If they're scared of the risks, why even take it on and then try to sue for something you signed up for.

Exactly...and what is this hard hat, safety glasses, steel toed boots and fall restraint stuff companies must enforce on jobsites? If employees are unwilling to risk getting hurt to get the job done...GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Still going through the rule book to figure out what they can get him for? As Beria told Stalin: "Show me the man, and I'll find you the crime"

There's not a lot of dispassionate rendering of opinions in this thread, but if it's not charging and not boarding and not interference and not elbowing and not targetting the head (replays do not indicate that), and nothing called on the ice... then what's the hearing for anyway?

It's very simple. He hit ZAR in the head. As has been explained ad nauseum, the fact that he clipped shoulder first does not make the head contact legal.

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
And still cheer for Malkin who has a history of dangerous hits and slewfoots but is a Penguins star so the league won’t do anything. On top of that Malkin’s actions are usually due to him retaliating and targeting.

If there are Penguins fans who cheer dirty hits, then they are just as stupid as the Caps fans cheering Wilson's dirty hit last night. This shouldn't turn into whataboutism.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I dislike the Caps. I dislike Wilson. I really don't want them to win a cup. I think his hit was high, but man would I like to have him play for my team. He's a good player who plays very physically. This crap about him laughing, well, people will read into that whatever they want. Pens were (unsurprisingly) abusing him. Maybe he was laughing at insults, trying to show a lack of fear, coping with the incident in his way and also, you know, he made a big hit and hurt his opponent, he doesn't really need to be devastated about it.

Well, he has fought multiple times.
Tom Wilson’s “value” is that he does illegal things to throw off opponents concentration. We’re he to play clean, like nearly the rest of the league’s players do, he might not even be in the NHL.
What does he offer besides the worry of a serious injury to the opposition?
He doesn’t score despite playing on the top line. He’s not a penalty killer. He’s not a power play threat.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Lawyers.

Whats more, is all the players with insurance policys on themselves.

Yeah it's laughable. Should soccer players sue their leagues everytime someone sprains their ankle?

If you don't like the risks that come from the game, go do another job. Sure bet they are happy collecting insane amount of money to play a sport for a living.

Everyone knows the risks of playing a contact sport. That's not the leagues fault you get a concussion.. You knew the risks the moment you put on gear for protection.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've been waiting for someone to be put in a coma or even actually killed by someone like Mr. Wilson.....and I suspect if that day comes there will be people here saying 'good clean hit' and/or 'should have kept his head up'. He's not dirty---he doesn't try to take people out low--no, he's just hitting high all the time.....nothing wrong with that. Scott Stevens used to do it all the time.....one of his victims Eric Lindros did it too.

FWIW the NHL is kind of on his side. Willing to make very fine distinctions between clean and not so clean.....denying all the while that all the documented and undocumented concussions many of their former players are suing them about because of long term ongoing health problems has anything to do with their playing hockey at all---kind of like the Pentagon after the Vietnam War saying Agent Orange--nothing harmful about that. Well eventually I suspect the owners are going to have to settle and it will be the hundreds of millions of dollar anyway. For now they just deny but in the meantime we have this much larger version of Matt Cooke named Tom Wilson cruising about looking for his next victim. But don't be surprised if he ends careers.....don't be surprised either if someone dies some day.

The other point is you can hit and hit hard without going high or low. It's just some can't control the urge to go out and destroy their opponent.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
It's very simple. He hit ZAR in the head. As has been explained ad nauseum, the fact that he clipped shoulder first does not make the head contact legal.

The fact that Wilson hit ZAR's head does not make the contact illegal, either. I think it is clear that the main contact was to the head though.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
He doesn’t score despite playing on the top line. He’s not a penalty killer. He’s not a power play threat.

he's got 7 points in 9 playoff games, and he's one of our best penalty killers. get your facts straight before posting.

Reactions: ETA

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
No, you are making assumptions. From my vantage point he was aiming for the chest and shoulder. The only view that shows point of initial contact confirms that.

Initial contact is not the criterion used by the NHL DPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00