Player Discussion William Nylander

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah. I hope that puts an end to some of the ridiculous speculation.

The bottom line is that if he was able to play, he would have played.

Hopefully he'll be back very soon (no pun intended).

Even if he can play but can’t skate or shoot properly, what’s the point of playing him? Gonna run him on a shutdown line? Same people complaining about him faking it would be complaining about him doing nothing offensively and costing us goals against defensively.

Reactions: arso40

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Right.

It was Hodgkins and it was in his neck.

He also had a bad back in his career that he had to retire from and that he had to miss games from. Simular to Bossy.

I know he had hodgkins. I know it was affecting his back. You say neck...I don't give a shit. It's semantics. I know he had a bad back his entire career. HE PLAYED THROUGH IT. He played until it got to a point where he couldn't play.

Willy is not the same animal Mario is. Willy. Is definitely not hurt. He's out practicing in regular jerseys. Not "no contact" red or whatever it is. He's running regular drills fine. His back is fine. Mario's back was not fine. MARIO PLAYED. Mario practiced. Mario won cups.

Willy is a p***y.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Ya...doctors...:rolleyes:

Does he look debilitated to you?! lol.

He's not injured. Or should I say...not injured enough that he couldn't play.
I don't know even why I bother but again....

What are you basing any of this nonsense on?

Did you see the video of him skating? Did you see how stiff he was? Then hunched over in obvious discomfort.

Or did you watch the one clip when he took a pass and tried to get a shot on net?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He played hurt plenty of times this year.

He played after he got destroyed 10 games ago(ish).

He’s not playing now because he’s not capable.
Oh I don't doubt ne might be in discomfort. Who cares? You play and deal with it in the summer. He can play. I've seen him run drills. He can play.

I don't know even why I bother but again....

What are you basing any of this nonsense on?

Did you see the video of him skating? Did you see how stiff he was? Then hunched over in obvious discomfort.

Or did you watch the one clip when he took a pass and tried to get a shot on net?
There was no point he looked in discomfort. You are fishing for something that wasn't there.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The supposed controversy with the Nylander name has nothing to do with Swedish origin. His dad Michael was reportedly a difficult player, teammate to deal with and that has always cast a shadow on whether Willie would be a good citizen or a diva. Michael was also never that prominent of a player and bounced around a bit so who even knows what’s what. And for the record Willie has always seemed to be a nice guy and a team player whatever other flaws you might point at.

Point is it has nothing to be with Swedish but just a reputational thing.

Exactly. I don't even see William as a Swede. He was born in Calgary! Either way though, the chicken Swede notion died with Salming. No one's thought that for decades now. In fact, I think Swedes are tough as hell from the ones I've watched play over the years.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

I know he had hodgkins. I know it was affecting his back. You say neck...I don't give a shit. It's semantics. I know he had a bad back his entire career. HE PLAYED THROUGH IT. He played until it got to a point where he couldn't play.

Willy is not the same animal Mario is. Willy. Is definitely not hurt. He's out practicing in regular jerseys. Not "no contact" red or whatever it is. He's running regular drills fine. His back is fine. Mario's back was not fine. MARIO PLAYED. Mario practiced. Mario won cups.

Willy is a p***y.
He literally missed 1/3 of the games he could have played in. That doesn't count all the games he left early and couldn't complete.

He missed a tonne of playoff games l. What the hell are you talking about?

Oh I don't doubt ne might be in discomfort. Who cares? You play and deal with it in the summer. He can play. I've seen him run drills. He can play.

There was no point he looked in discomfort. You are fishing for something that wasn't there.
Are you kidding?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Somehow this is Keefe's fault again?

Wait til you know how he got injured... the report right now is he was not injured in any game, so, like usual, this is more fan fiction from our fanbase just to hate on specific people in our organization.

Yes, if he got injured in a game, which is what happened because injuries don't just appear out of thin air, they aren't magical, then yes it is entirely Keefe's fault for playing him when he didn't need to.

This is especially true if it happened in game 82 like the new "report" says.

Yes it is safe to say this is Keefe's fault.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This thread is bizarre. The best part is that his injury hasn't impacted anything so far. They weren't going to win game 1 if he played, and they didn't need him to win game 2. They won't need him to win game 3 either. Game 4 will be the bigger test for the Leafs, and I assume he will play in that game since there is an extra day off between games 3 and 4.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
this

It is true - and it's a reflection of the political world as well. and why the reporting and info is so ridiculous and nonsensical and full of fluff. It's a sad reflection of society's trends.

I myself DO know what happened with Perry's contract guillotine . . . but only because of a personal connection who's best buddies with someone who was there. Real reporting? No chance, they feel / know they'll be blackballed by vindictive corporate types (in that case owners/execs, same as in Toronto) so they learn fast to condition themselves to the parameters of questioning and keeping their jobs.

People have zero backbone and integrity anymore.

Journalistic integrity will do you a lot of good when you're out of work due to being blackballed by any potential employer, especially for a non-crucial semi-gossip story such as Perry.

Can anyone actually fault the insiders for not going public with these kinds of career-altering yet insignificant stories?

I sure don't.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He literally missed 1/3 of the games he could have played in. That doesn't count all the games he left early and couldn't complete.

He missed a tonne of playoff games l. What the hell are you talking about?

Are you kidding?
If Willy wants to miss all of next season to rest his back...go for it. Lord knows we could use the LTIR. But this is the playoffs. You don't miss the playoffs. Unless you are dying, you don't miss these games.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Journalistic integrity will do you a lot of good when you're out of work due to being blackballed by any potential employer, especially for a non-crucial semi-gossip story such as Perry.

Can anyone actually fault the insiders for not going public with these kinds of career-altering yet insignificant stories?

I sure don't.
Not just that.

Why is it anyone's business what Perry did?

As long as it wasn't illegal, who cares?

I do agree that if you a public figure such as a politician, public service worker, you will be held to a higher standard, but what is done in you off work time as long as you are not commiting a crime or hurting someone is none of anyone's business.

I guess unless you have some morality clause tied to your job that you willingly signed

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
William Nylander cannot play, but it has nothing to do with his back. It's because he's a lizardman, and lizards have to molt this time of year to maintain their health.

Now hear me out. Reptiles only shed their skin 2-3 times per year. Shedding is a reflection of normal growth and renewal and is perfectly normal in lizards. The old skin is removed and sometimes consumed for nutrition. Molting, or shedding to be more accurate, frequently takes place in the Spring. Look outside, people.

"Hey buddy", you say, "there's no proof William Nylander is a lizardman. Not all Swedes are lizardpeople, contrary to popular belief."

And you're mostly right, but consider the following. The sand lizard (lacerta agilis) is a lacertid lizard distributed across most of Europe, including Sweden. A "lacertid" lizard means wall lizard, otherwise known as the common lizard, characterized by narrow bodies and a long tail. They enjoy basking in the sun and are mostly solitary. Willy, as we know, likes to carry the puck through the neutral zone by himself, and has, from time to time, been caught basking defensively.

The solution here, clearly, is for Sheldon Keefe to bench lizardman Willy, and feed his molted skin to another player on the roster, to gain a fraction of his power. Come to think of it, Jarnkrok came back just as Nylander left, right? The plot thickens.

1000005762.jpg

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
William Nylander cannot play, but it has nothing to do with his back. It's because he's a lizardman, and lizards have to molt this time of year to maintain their health.

Now hear me out. Reptiles only shed their skin 2-3 times per year. Shedding is a reflection of normal growth and renewal and is perfectly normal in lizards. The old skin is removed and sometimes consumed for nutrition. Molting, or shedding to be more accurate, frequently takes place in the Spring. Look outside, people.

"Hey buddy", you say, "there's no proof William Nylander is a lizardman. Not all Swedes are lizardpeople, contrary to popular belief."

And you're mostly right, but consider the following. The sand lizard (lacerta agilis) is a lacertid lizard distributed across most of Europe, including Sweden. A "lacertid" lizard means wall lizard, otherwise known as the common lizard, characterized by narrow bodies and a long tail. They enjoy basking in the sun and are mostly solitary. Willy, as we know, likes to carry the puck through the neutral zone by himself, and has, from time to time, been caught basking defensively.

The solution here, clearly, is for Sheldon Keefe to bench lizardman Willy, and feed his molted skin to another player on the roster, to gain a fraction of his power. Come to think of it, Jarnkrok came back just as Nylander left, right? The plot thickens.

View attachment 858457
This is now in the running for the best post ever.

Coach's Corner's dumpster diving turkey sandwich, and lizardman Willy.

Voting will take place on a later date

Reactions: The Management

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This thread is bizarre. The best part is that his injury hasn't impacted anything so far. They weren't going to win game 1 if he played, and they didn't need him to win game 2. They won't need him to win game 3 either. Game 4 will be the bigger test for the Leafs, and I assume he will play in that game since there is an extra day off between games 3 and 4.
If there is even the slightest chance that he can aggravate his back injury tomorrow, I would keep him out until Saturday. We need him at 100% for the long haul if we hope to go on a playoff run.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
What? Fans being Bias?

Or Nylander injury? We have no idea what it is.....but he is skating.....so we can assume its a muscle injury or back injury.

Concerning the fans opinions...... some hate because of the name or nationality.....just look at our overall society nowadays....Blaming minorities for taking our jobs etc.

Its not a far fetched opinion
Willie is Canadian.

Wish I could have many blocked but this site makes that difficult.
People are dumb, look at the Marner thread. I don't think that has anything to do with where he's born.
Willie was born in Calgary.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

View attachment 858457
HAHAHAHAHA!

End thread!

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Willy wants to miss all of next season to rest his back...go for it. Lord knows we could use the LTIR. But this is the playoffs. You don't miss the playoffs. Unless you are dying, you don't miss these games.

His on ice value is
1) skating
2) shooting

In that order. If he has an injury that’s preventing him from doing both of those things at a good level, what other value is he bringing to the table? A healthy Robertson/Jarnkrok/whoever would sit for him can skate and shoot better than an injured Nylander right now, why would we downgrade the lineup?

I get you really want to see a stiff Willy for whatever reason and no one’s judging you for it, but what’s the point of forcing it just to give him a tough guy participation medal? It would be different if we had to put some Marlies journeyman out there instead but we’ve got more healthy NHL forwards than we know what to do with.

At least when we had to play Matthews with bad wrists and a bad back, we had no center depth and even without his shot he’s still strong defensively and wins faceoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLAM34 and Jojalu

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Don't fool yourselves. Those who in the media knows what Nylander's injury is and when it happened, etc. They don't report it bc they don't want to get on the bad side of the team. That's the same across the NHL. The Friedmans, Chris Johnston's ...they all know but they aren't real "reporters", that's why there's 5 pages and "no actual information". Just like how the hockey media never actually reported what Corey Perry did to get his contract terminated. The hockey world has no real serious reporters any more. They want to remain on the good side of the people in the game. So don't think this is exclusive to the Leafs.
LOL...yeah, that's it.

Mar 31, 2022

View attachment 858457
This is no dumber than drytoast's rhetoric, so I'm going to believe it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If there is even the slightest chance that he can aggravate his back injury tomorrow, I would keep him out until Saturday. We need him at 100% for the long haul if we hope to go on a playoff run.
Agreed. The reality is that they don't actually need him to win this series. But against Florida? Yeah, they will need Nylander.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
If you're old enough you remember Salming ... Cherry was the drum beater for that.

Cherry was entertaining, but not educational.
I remember it well…been a fan for over 6 decades

It’s one the reasons I hate Don Cherry and his views.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

View attachment 858457

I totally know where I remember him from now!

1713919266095.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad