William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
tampa signed him to that deal coz the had massive cap trouble.

Right, even they only did it because they had to we don’t have to with nylander, we can lock up a 61 point player at $6m for 7/8 years is going to give us better value, then factor in he is 22 and it’s easy to envisage him being a 70 point player making that deal look fantastic.

A regular pp season and he can easily add 10 points to his totals

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Listen, I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

If I was Gm, which fortunately not. There are a few contracts I would look at.

Pasternak
RNH
Eberle
Ehlers
Hall

All pretty young. All I would consider on par or better than Nylander. All making about 6 to 6.5 cap hit.

I would argue Nylander at best should get this type of money. Considering some of those player are centers, which Willie is not. Most have had better seasons than Willie. In my Opinion this is the ceiling he should get. I would not trade Willie. I would want to sign him long term. Meaning 7-8 years. If he wants to gamble on himself ok. Bridge him at 4 years. At a lower aav. I would not give him a no move nor no trade clause. If he earns more great. But this give the club the option to move him to any club any where to what the club deems fair value.

Btw, I don't care what your counter arguement is. This is my uninformed option.

Reactions: iSophagus

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Think nylander may be a better core player but drouin perhaps is a better complimentary player. For his contract i would consider trading nylander for drouin. Drouin on matthews wing would be dynamite. Also drouin is better in the playoffs.
Contract:
I don't know why you would trade Drouin for Nylander based on contract considerations. Drouin has five more years left on his (six-year) contract at $5.5 per year. For six years, I don't see Nylander getting more than $6 to $6.5. That's at most an extra million, and you get one more year!

It's odd that Drouin's $5.5 million a year contract is appropriate when, at the time of the signing, his two best seasons were 32 points (4 goals) and 53 points. If that is a good contract, what should a player coming off back-to-back 60-point seasons get?

Playoffs:
We're talking about small samples here. Regardless, I don't see much difference between 8 points in 13 games and 14 in 23 games.

Complementary Player:
You know who would complement Matthews better? The better player.

1zd81s.jpg

In games tracked, Nylander has very good zone entry and zone exit numbers, too.

Also, for flexibility, Nylander was 51.4% at the FO circle last year while Drouin was at 42.5.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Again, you're showing misconseiving stats... In your comparison, you compare Kucherov's 19 YO + 20 YO seasons to Nylanders 20YO + 21YO seasons...

I did mess up in my post too though.... I meant 20 YO vs 21 and 22YO seasons... shift 19YO to 20YO and 20+21 to 21 + 22YO. My point still stands... 19YO and 20YO seasons are likely less of a predictor of future success than 21 and 22 YO seasons. Would you disagree with this? If so, please give your reasoning...

20YO + 21YO seasons:
Kucherov - 202 GP (Regular Season + Playoffs); 80 goals, 172 points; 0.85 PPG
Nylander - 176GP (Regular Season + Playoffs); 44 goals, 130 Points; 0.74 PPG

Again, how are Nylander and Kucherov remotely comparable?
They are not comparable at all.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
Jeez You think Nylander Will accept a 6million deal when NYR will offer him 7-8? Or any other club ! He is simply Worth more. Deal with it!

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Jeez You think Nylander Will accept a 6million deal when NYR will offer him 7-8? Or any other club ! He is simply Worth more. Deal with it!
Oh no Nylander is a UFA that will test the market and we can't do anything about it like we could if he was RFA! OH WHATEVER WILL WE DO!!!

Reactions: iSophagus

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Using Ehlers as an almost exact comp, and Pasternak as a tier above, $6M looks like a number that both sides don't have a reasonable argument against. Forsberg is also a very good analog but surprisingly little inflation for others since he signed for $6M. Don't see why either club would be interested in a bridge unless the Leafs think Willie is actually a creation of Matthews which doesn't appear to be the case. I think they get it done right away. Arguably Willie gets a small bit more than Ehlers for the rising cap, so maybe $6.2.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Using Ehlers as an almost exact comp, and Pasternak as a tier above, $6M looks like a number that both sides don't have a reasonable argument against. Forsberg is also a very good analog but surprisingly little inflation for others since he signed for $6M. Don't see why either club would be interested in a bridge unless the Leafs think Willie is actually a creation of Matthews which doesn't appear to be the case. I think they get it done right away. Arguably Willie gets a small bit more than Ehlers for the rising cap, so maybe $6.2.
funnily enough, i believe willy will be a better player on his own line than as matthews winger. he doesnt engage the same way on the wing and often tends to hold onto the puck too long or try to make the overcomplicated play trying to feed matthews in a perfect position.
as a center he will be forced to play a more north south game and will need to simplify in the offensive zone (like just shooting the puck sometimes, which he doesnt do alot unfortunately) since he will have to be more accountable for getting back to be the deep forward in the dzone. when i watched him as a center in his limited time there, its already clear to me that he grasps this concept and hes a much different player playing center ice. its almost like he knows matthews can cover for alot of his mistakes so he takes alot of chances in the offensive zone that are unneccessary.

as for contract i see 6.25/6.5 for willy on a 7 year deal. unless they bridge him

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
60 point regular season and what? 2 points in the playoffs?

Isn't a center man yet, and he is a bit of a liability in his own end.

6 mil tops. JVR is actually a comparable.

I'd honestly try for a bridge deal because I'm not sure what he's going to develop into.

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Would the NYR be willing to pay him that much and offer a first, second and third round pick as compensation? They have the #9 pick....I'll take it, thank you very much

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
60 point regular season and what? 2 points in the playoffs?

Isn't a center man yet, and he is a bit of a liability in his own end.

6 mil tops. JVR is actually a comparable.

I'd honestly try for a bridge deal because I'm not sure what he's going to develop into.
Don’t guess. 4 points in a giant sample size of 7 games.

JVR is comparable? His deal kicked in six years ago, and he never scored more than 40 points before it was signed.

You’re not sure what he’ll develop into? He’s scored sixty points as a 20 year-old and a 21 year-old. What do players like this develop into? 15 point 4th liners?

Reactions: Menzinger

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
I feel like a solid 50-60% of posters here need to be reminded of % of cap. Actual dollars of deals signed years ago are not analogous.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
and you think he's gonna get traded, hahahahaahahah

hmmm it kinda reminds me of Benning pumping Tanev's tires(turning him into a defensive juggernaut) and then saying, nope no sir we ain't been shopping him he's too important to us, people though have been calling and we've had some great offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad