Value of: William Nylander for an RHD

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Hamilton for Nylander seems to be a common idea on here, but as a Flames fan I'd rather just keep Hamilton. Not to say that the value is far off, but a guy with Hamilton's skillset is a lot harder to find than a skilled winger.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So, with his pathetic non showing come playoff time and contract demands in play, what could he fetch on the market?

Could a base of Hamilton for Nylander be a fair deal for both teams?

It would hurt to lose Nylander for the leafs but Hamilton would fix a ton of their needs.
Stop making theads please.
And don't base someone's play off of 3 games.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could try another 462 Kapanen+2nd+Carrick offers for every good defenceman in the league threads, I suppose.

Trading Nylander inherently is not dumb. Trading Nylander and not getting a legit #1, like the Oilers did with Hall, IS dumb. All depends on what the return is.

This is probably the closest thing here. I wouldn't shop him but if you hear a good right handed defenseman is available, you see what it takes. If the player is the right age, right contract etc then Nylander can be available.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Could try another 462 Kapanen+2nd+Carrick offers for every good defenceman in the league threads, I suppose.

Trading Nylander inherently is not dumb. Trading Nylander and not getting a legit #1, like the Oilers did with Hall, IS dumb. All depends on what the return is.
Nylander will never return a #1 though without a significant add.

Reactions: Snowman

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Imagine @justafan22 was a GM?

"Hey my all-star defenseman just had a rough week, anyone want him? Bargain deals!"

"My young up and coming winger hasn't scored in a week, anyone wanna trade? He sucks!"

Like...talk about driving down value..

Reactions: Grub

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Oh Leafs fans. Those 2 on 1 plays by the defenceman on each was just awful!!! Like really who the hell is in charge of your defence core? Fire that guy my gawd

Reactions: Snowman

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Toronto has a systematic issue with team defense that is being heavily exposed by Boston, and adding one offensive defenseman like Hamilton won't change that.

They need to change their system and probably also make some personnel changes IMO. I don't think Morgan Rielly and Ron Hainsey is a Stanley Cup top pairing on a team that doesn't have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and 2 goalies putting up Conn Smythe performances at the same time.

We really don't anymore than most other top teams.

Andersen has a sv percentage of around 890 in the playoffs, sure you can blame the D, but if you watched the series, you'd realize we shredded the Bruins D (considered to be very good) easily as much as they have ours, the difference is goaltending.

Even tonight, at best the game should've been 2-1, he either needs to stop one of those 2 on 1s or the first floater. Take a look at the Knights, for all the talk of their great d and team, were it not for Fleury putting up something like 970, the series could have EASILY been 2-2.

Furthermore, if we had a coach that could do simple things like icing the best lineup/lines, this series could even be 3-1 in our favor.

Game 1 fell off the rails when we missed 3 pps where we had 7 goal Komarov on the ice on them for some Babcockian reason and game 2 fell off the rails when we had 7 goal Komarov on the 1st line for some Babcockian reason and he took a too many men penalty which put us down 2-0 despite the fact we were dominating the game.

The team's roster is very close and the score difference in the series is very far from the whole story (were completely on par with the Bruins in game 1 halfway through before the PPs and were dominating them in game 2 before the PK and Andersen no show).

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Oh Leafs fans. Those 2 on 1 plays by the defenceman on each was just awful!!! Like really who the hell is in charge of your defence core? Fire that guy my gawd
I don't think it was the coaches that taught them that. Zaitsev and Polak are just pylons. I'd like to fire those guys right into the f***ing sun and watch them burn.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Nylander sucks. Like I've said before, he's a slightly better version of Sven Baertschi. Both passengers on their line, incapable of driving offence.

Woah woah woah there, in his first 2 seasons he would be the leading scorer on the Canucks and hell even the leading scorer for the season before.

If Nylander is a passenger, the Canucks are a big honking freight train of passengers.

Don't like the Nylander sucks comment. At least he made it to the playoffs to show off that he sucks.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
William Nylander
For
Brett Pesce

Nylander takes 1st line C and plays with Aho

Pesce plays with Rielly on first Pairing

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Nylander sucks. Like I've said before, he's a slightly better version of Sven Baertschi. Both passengers on their line, incapable of driving offence.

That's terribly wrong. You've likely been watching him for the past few games and have formed your hot take based on that alone.

Nylander can absolutely drive his own line, he's a terrific offensive catalyst already, at barely 21.

He's having a bad playoffs, but the Leafs won't be fooled into making a Hall or Seguin type of deal for him.

Doughty, however, would fit the bill. Leafs won't be adding a 1st or Lil' to him, that's a laughable suggestion for a guy who's got 1 year away from UFA, but Nylander+Zaitsev or Gardner may make some sense.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
As disappointed as I am right now. Trading Nylander would be a big mistake. Truthfully, there probably isn't a better defensive team in the east than Boston. If this series was against Pitts, Washington or Tampa there would be more room for Willy to operate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad