William Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
To bring him up, or not to bring him up, ah that is the question HFer's. Weather it is nobler to suffer in the AHL or to take arms against a sea of opponents in the NHL, and by opposing, end them?
Ahh that is the question.
Haha

Willy's a Swede, not a Dane :laugh::laugh:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I hope Keefe is focusing on the 8 goals the marlies let in. Everyone can talk about how Nylander's too good for the AHL, but remember, he was on the ice for about 4 goals against iirc. It was his giveaway in the ice caps zone that led to one of the Mccarron goals (the one that went off his skate) and the Hudon goal was a missed assignment from him as well.

So let's not ignore the negatives that happened in the game even though he and the marlies were able to score their way out of this situation.

It was a bad game, they happen. I'm sure Toews has been a negative 3 or 4 in his lifetime as well. but maybe we should send him down to the AHL to learn a few things. Maybe loan him to the Marlies so Keefe can show him a few things or two :sarcasm:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Kid's two-way game needs some work, but hey look, were 20% through the season and he's on pace for 100+ :laugh:

His skeptics were saying it was ridiculous to be talking about 100 points just a few short weeks ago.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Is he actually on pace for 100?

Over a 76 game AHL season, Nylander's on pace for 103 points. Amazing pace, although you could tell he was going to put up some pretty big numbers considering the way he finished off the '14-'15 regular season (7 goals, 15 points in 11 games)

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Just checked. 19 in 14 is a 1.35 PPG pace. Over 82 games it's 111 points. Over 76 games it's 103. And this is without Connor Brown or Kapanen. Hey, it might be possible!

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
I really can't see the leafs sending him to the WJC, that's why I believe he will be up with the leafs sometime next month

The WJC isn't the level of competition he needs at this stage in development

And if he keeps playing this way for another 3 weeks, he deserves a callup

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the key point here, imo, is that there is nobody i'd rather have teaching him every day and developing him on and off the ice than Mike Babcock.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Are there any comparables to Nylander? Centers who were a top scorer in the A during their draft+2?

I can think of Getzlaf putting up 25 points in 17 games before being called up to the Ducks for good in his draft+3, Grioux put up 34 points in 33 games in his draft+3 before his call-up.

Last edited:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I really can't see the leafs sending him to the WJC, that's why I believe he will be up with the leafs sometime next month

The WJC isn't the level of competition he needs at this stage in development

And if he keeps playing this way for another 3 weeks, he deserves a callup

If hes not on the Leafs in December (which by management talk he wont be) he will be at the World Juniors.

No one has ever been ruined by going to the world juniors.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
the key point here, imo, is that there is nobody i'd rather have teaching him every day and developing him on and off the ice than Mike Babcock.

I also feel this way. I think it might be different if he obviously was not ready, but he has proven to be able to play in any league and thrive.
Babs has made every current roster player play better smarter and within the system and structure, I'm sure Willie, who seems to be a coach pleaser, would be putty in Bab's hands.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
It's funny but a lot of prospect sleuths before he was drafted knew the draft to be an Ekblad/Nylander draft but hey people forget. We need this guy to be very good, he's already good but I am glad the leafs are keeping him down until they see he's as near as 99.99999999 percent ready for the bigs. He's probably ready already but no shame in letting him dominate like a boss he is already and get even better, and we are in no rush either.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's funny but a lot of prospect sleuths before he was drafted knew the draft to be an Ekblad/Nylander draft but hey people forget. We need this guy to be very good, he's already good but I am glad the leafs are keeping him down until they see he's as near as 99.99999999 percent ready for the bigs. He's probably ready already but no shame in letting him dominate like a boss he is already and get even better, and we are in no rush either.
In your opinion what would constitute being 99.99999999% ready?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
:laugh: I dunno whatever that makes me think nothing will hold him back, if he's dropped on the fourth line he'll produce if he's dropped on the top line he'll produce, if it's on the pk. I am just stating it :laugh:

I agree! I also feel that you're never ready until you get in, sink or swim. I guess in that analogy the ahl is the swimming lesson and the nhl is when you swim across the Atlantic! Hahaha
Btw Willie looks like he's a great swimmer.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Nylander is now PPG in the AHL across his career. 5 points under PPG last year and 5 points over PPG this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad