William Nylander Discussion, pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
They also have Morrissey at 18 so you just have to assume that somebody with a serious Jets bias was putting the list together

Close your eyes and eeny, meeny, miny, moe
Haha that's what they would probably do.
Just ignore the HF ratings.

in fact, ignore most every rankings.

and ehlers was drafted below nylander, not above.

Ehlers was actually drafted one spot AFTER Nylander, not one spot before. There's no criteria, it's just the personal opinion of HF employees. Like most sports journalism, this should be taken as entertainment pieces, not deep insight.

Virtanen, who went 6th overall in 2014, is ranked 38th, while Ehlers, taken 9th overall, is ranked 11th. Those making these rankings are semi-pro sports writers, while the draft is the collective opinion of NHL scouts and GMs. Nobody really knows how prospects will turn out, but for a recent draft I'll definitely take draft position over the opinions of those who probably write these articles as a part time job, with minimal viewings of said players.
Yeah just realized what I said, just bad choice of word.

I agree that this their rankings are based on subjective opinions, but I'm wondering why Ehlers is ranked better than Drasaitl, Nurse, Gibson, Forsberg, Lindholm, Nylander, Horvat, Dal Colle who I think are above Ehlers. Do they value defense more? Or maybe offensive ability? Or who has the most upside/potential? etc.. The rankings don't bother me at all, it's just very funny how a player draft 9th OA about 4/5 months ago is on the verge of becoming a top ten prospect in the league.

SChan*

There isn't many examples of Swede's doing anything else though. Landeskog? He's doing alright.

landeskog never played in AHL.

Best ahl player ever from sweden is loui eriksson. Lots of swedes sent to ahl has failed.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If you watched past top 50 rankings..

You would cringe. Writers are subjected to bias and lack of knowledge.They had Kadri barely in the top 50 at one point because he was a Leaf. Go look at how those above him fared. Even Reilly wasn`t that good because he was a Leaf. Nylander may be the best pick of the draft but he wont rank that high because he is a Leaf and doesn`t play for a team the writers like.

Bottom line, ignore anything not from an experienced NHL scout.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
ehlers has a lot of potential, but was probably hyped playing with drouin and a great world performance. he's a better skater than drais, so i can see him being rated higher.

i don't think he has more skill than nylander, so i'm surprised he's rated over him though. nylander had a reputation of being a puck hog, so maybe they thought he wouldn't be able to use other players.

scouting reports had said that nylander may have the most pure talent in the draft year, and i'm beginning to see it as possible. he may turn out better than bennett, or anyone ahead of him.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If Nylander keeps it up do we use him as a #1 center next year or do we slide him down to #2 maybe allowing Kadri to play on the wing. Man if the leafs somehow picked up Eichel or McDavid our problems at centre would be solved for the next decade, add that to Rielly, Loov, Finn, Percy & Granberg in the backend, Bernier in net and the Leafs potentially have an amazing core moving forward in key positions.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Forsberg (Nashville) seem to do ok and he spent time in the AHL.

AHL is a good league do develop players and make them ready for the NHL who does not already possess some sort of "natural" elite skill. If Forsberg had been a speed phenomenon I reckon he would have played in the NHL right away (and probably been drafted higher). But if you are not super strong or super fast then a year or two in the AHL is good for you and that goes for all nationalities. I does not seem to have hurt Nyquist development either. Kronwall also had a break through season in the AHL.

Now I dont think Nylander needs to spend any time in the AHL next season when he joins the team. And perhaps SHL was the best route for him seeing as he had unfinished business there. But Nylander is already an elite skater so he can live on that while adopting the rest of his game to the NHL.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The thing is, you never know if a certain path has hurt a player's development. All you ever know is that they weren't good enough.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Forsberg (Nashville) seem to do ok and he spent time in the AHL.

AHL is a good league do develop players and make them ready for the NHL who does not already possess some sort of "natural" elite skill. If Forsberg had been a speed phenomenon I reckon he would have played in the NHL right away (and probably been drafted higher). But if you are not super strong or super fast then a year or two in the AHL is good for you and that goes for all nationalities. I does not seem to have hurt Nyquist development either. Kronwall also had a break through season in the AHL.

Now I dont think Nylander needs to spend any time in the AHL next season when he joins the team. And perhaps SHL was the best route for him seeing as he had unfinished business there. But Nylander is already an elite skater so he can live on that while adopting the rest of his game to the NHL.

It's really hard to say what the right path is, only those with insider information can make the best call on that.

What I do like about the AHL path is a few things

rink size

tough travel , sched and physical competition

I like the idea of getting them acclimated to the NHL way.

silentbob37*

If Nylander keeps it up do we use him as a #1 center next year or do we slide him down to #2 maybe allowing Kadri to play on the wing. Man if the leafs somehow picked up Eichel or McDavid our problems at centre would be solved for the next decade, add that to Rielly, Loov, Finn, Percy & Granberg in the backend, Bernier in net and the Leafs potentially have an amazing core moving forward in key positions.

Doesn't matter how he keeps doing this year.

They will look at him at camp next year (play, fitness level, weight, maturity etc....) and if he is ready next year he'll be on the team, most likely in the position he earns with his play. If thats that top line so be it. If its the 3rd, so be it.

If he isn't ready he'll most likely be back in sweden for another year.

Ya, adding 1-2 high, high level prospects like a McDavid or Eichel to the group they have would be HUGE.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

They will look at him at camp next year (play, fitness level, weight, maturity etc....) and if he is ready next year he'll be on the team, most likely in the position he earns with his play. If thats that top line so be it. If its the 3rd, so be it.

Ya, adding 1-2 high, high level prospects like a McDavid or Eichel to the group they have would be HUGE.

The same could be said for every team in the league. You do have a knack for stating the obvious.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

This just in folks! Adding a franchise center is good for your team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Except not every team needs one like the Leafs do.

Or moving Nylander to win and playing them as a duo.

I kind of have my heart set on Nylander playing C. I am pretty delighted about him getting to play that in Sweden, he also has really good face off numbers over there so far.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Interestingly, Eichel is not even 6 months younger than Nylander, and I'm not sure Eichel would be able to do to the SHL what Nylander is doing right now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Interestingly, Eichel is not even 6 months younger than Nylander, and I'm not sure Eichel would be able to do to the SHL what Nylander is doing right now.

I think there is a case to be made for the comparison between what Jack Eichel is doing in NCAA and what Nylander is doing in the SHL.

It is very hard for an 18 year old kid to put up a pt/game in the NCAA, just like it's hard for an 18 year old to go a pt/game in the SHL.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

shhh don't say that, leaf fans on this board think this tea is good enough for a cup and u will get creamed for even mentioning wait for the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia