William Nylander Discussion, pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I held off getting excited when we drafted him because all I had to go by was youtube highlights.

I'm now very excited about wee Willy. He could play this year, but I think it'd be beneficial for all parties if he either went to the AHL or back to the SEL.

Pumped about this kid's future!

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Definitely needs to go back and get stronger. Would prefer A

He may be 180 Pounds but he's not a strong 180 pounds. He just needs to get stronger and more familiar with NA size rinks

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
ill admit he has impressed, and easily shown a glimpse of his talent for the future

but that can be expected with any young bright prospect
you expect them to show you their potential

but personally i dont think he is ready for the NHL yet like Rielly was last pre season
S E L ?
would be happy for him if he got 9 games though

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't see any reason to keep him with the Leafs.

AHL versus SHL

My emotional answer would be AHL for selfish reasons.
My logical answer would be SHL, and AHL next year if he still isn't ready.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don't see any reason to keep him with the Leafs.

AHL versus SHL

My emotional answer would be AHL for selfish reasons.
My logical answer would be SHL, and AHL next year if he still isn't ready.

What's more logical about the SHL? His biggest issue after physical maturity is adapting to the smaller ice surface.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What's more logical about the SHL? His biggest issue after physical maturity is adapting to the smaller ice surface.

Because physical maturity isn't dependent on location.

I think he'd get run a lot more in the AHL than he would in SHL, and he's a kid who can still benefit from being mentored by both a loving father and experienced NHL veteran.

Adapting to the smaller ice surface can be done at age 19. :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nylander needs more seasoning, think he should be part of the next cuts for the Leafs. As for showing he is elite in the NHL in the future, the jury's still out, he will be a good player though. Special? Not sure.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Adapting is easier for this kid. He literally grew up using NA rinks and watching the NHL. He has played what 3-4yrs in SWE?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If Nylander plays in the AHL, and goes about his business and is good, he will get zero press. Then if he goes 5 games without a point, there will be an article in the Star by Damien Cox about Leafs mistake sending him to the AHL.

Within days, all the major outlets will publish an article on the Marlies, with Nylander as the headline as a disappointment.

OR

William Nylander scored a hattrick. All three goals can be tap in, it doesnt matter -- the next day Michael Traikos of the Post will write an article saying Nylander has to be called up now, that hes too good for junior. Again, within days all the other major outlets will have articles on Nylander's progression and being buried in the minors.

OR

William Nylander goes back to Sweden, and we hear nothing of him in the papers until December when he is in Montreal for the World Juniors. Here he will be merely one part of a larger Swedish team, and if he underperforms it wont matter too much because journalists love to talk about the "19 year old tournament". He goes back, and we hear nothing of him until April

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
If he doesn't make the Leafs, i think he ends up going to Sweden. Why not? He'll make more money, end up closer to home.

Going to the AHL he would be making less money, not that i think he is strung up on cash seeing as his dad made millions.

I hope he makes the team. What better to improve your body than having NHL caliber training? That and the fact that he has played well with anyone he has been paired with should be reason enough to keep him on the team.

One reason you could argue for him not making the team is to not be part of the train wreck that this season has the potential to be. With the preseason well underway we have yet to see this "new" system. We got outscored by the garbage that buffalo put out there. Ideally we ***** the bed to start the year, fire Carlyle, and the interim coach gets us into the playoffs. If the interim fails, we end up with another top-10 pick in a draft that is said to be a good one.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Because physical maturity isn't dependent on location.

I think he'd get run a lot more in the AHL than he would in SHL, and he's a kid who can still benefit from being mentored by both a loving father and experienced NHL veteran.

Adapting to the smaller ice surface can be done at age 19. :laugh:

Why not kill two birds with one stone? Adapting to the smaller ice surface and get more physical mature? And who knows, maybe by the end of the season he's earned a callup because he's clearly better than the AHL.

I don't see the issue for sending him to the AHL. No reason not to consider it. Plus you leave yourself more options throughout the season. Sending him the SHL limits that significantly.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nylander needs more seasoning, think he should be part of the next cuts for the Leafs. As for showing he is elite in the NHL in the future, the jury's still out, he will be a good player though. Special? Not sure.

I have no problem with Nylander staying for the 9 regular season games. His ELC won't kick in and he can be returned to the SEL anytime after that.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Has anyone heard any comments from the organization regarding his position? Will they give him a shot at center if he goes down to the AHL?

William Nylander*

Has anyone heard any comments from the organization regarding his position? Will they give him a shot at center if he goes down to the AHL?

AP: I thought for sure you guys would want to, maybe not force him, but maybe try to groom to be a top flight C.

DM: Ideally, you’d love it if he became your top line center. That’d be the optimal situation. But I think at some point you have to let his development take its course right. I think if we can we will, but it’s just hard at this point because he’s such a young guy, so you want to let the development take its natural course and where he fits in. If it’s down the middle and he becomes our top line center at some point, that’s fantastic. If it’s on the wing and he becomes a top line winger, that’s fantastic, too.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/23/mlhs-in-conversation-with-dave-morrison-part-1/

Seems like the head scout is hoping Nylander ends up a center as well. He also said that it depends if he can add that defensive side to his game

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad