William Nylander Discussion: 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, just wait till Babs puts him on the wing when he has 4 healthy NHL matured Cs.

How many folks will blindly not hear the coach comment on how he proffers to do that with his young Cs,

Sure, but he does that because he wants his young centres to prove they're ready.

Nylander seems to be doing well with his audition so far: good positioning, starting to produce and is winning faceoffs. I'd say he's ready for a centre job next season.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Seeing as Nylander already is winning more then he lose on the draws, is playing solid defence as a center and is also producing offensively I dont see why he would move him to the wing. If anything he will pressure Nylander with more center tasks and let him learn that way.

Because some people struggle to understand that what someone would prefer to do isn't always the way they follow through with something in reality.

Babcock said he would prefer to have Nylander at center but didn't because they wouldn't have anyone else at center. So some people take only part of that as the truth they want to push but ignore the fairly obvious issue that Nylander is still playing center and likely because of that will continue to play center at the NHL level moving forward.

People still think Babcock is going to run things the way he would if he had a perennial all star center like Datsyuk as his incumbent 1st line center and could just nicely bring in young players with an already set up core. They somehow forget that we don't have that little luxury, which very much changes the way a coach coaches.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Seeing as Nylander already is winning more then he lose on the draws, is playing solid defence as a center and is also producing offensively I dont see why he would move him to the wing. If anything he will pressure Nylander with more center tasks and let him learn that way.

Just saying

no need for folks to get all freaked out if he gets sent to the wing is all

coach babs has given us plenty of advanced warning it could happen.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Sure, but he does that because he wants his young centres to prove they're ready.

Nylander seems to be doing well with his audition so far: good positioning, starting to produce and is winning faceoffs. I'd say he's ready for a centre job next season.

Ready for a full season?, when coach babs is going to be guns a blazen to make the POs?

Well you and i are reading babs intentions very differently.

who will willi bump?

stammer?
Kads?
bozo?
Laich?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ready for a full season?, when coach babs is going to be guns a blazen to make the POs?

who will willi bump?

stammer?
Kads?
bozo?
Laich?

Stamkos isn't a Leaf, he'd certainly bump a 4th liner like Laich if need be. Maybe Bozak too (if Bozak is still wearing a blue and white jersey come September that is)..

Babcock will do what's best for his development - if they want him as a centre long term, he'll get Icetime there, who they take it from remains to be seen.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

who will willi bump?

stammer?
Kads?
bozo?
Laich?

Stop penciling in Stamkos. It's not a guarantee he will sign here, nor is it likely.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
before I get jumped, I"m finding his play a bit soft.

Which is true
he needs to get stronger. if he gets involved physically he probably gets hurt.
he doesn't suck defensively, and is pretty good on faceoffs
he's got the speed soft hands and a good wrister
and the right ppl to help him improve

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He had a couple good chip/chase plays today where he went after the puck in the corners and battled. He needs to do more of that to be the more effective at the NHL level. I could care less if he's hitting players so as as he's getting engaging with them to force turnovers and get the puck for himself.

One of the best forwards on the ice for the Leafs tonight .. Some beautiful feeds that should have been at least a goal or two

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
He wasn't drafted for his gritty nose, his ability for digging along the boards and for his high physicality. We know this of course. But yes I agree he needs to show more of an edge. Perhaps he's still timid playing in the big leagues now

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He wasn't drafted for his gritty nose, his ability for digging along the boards and for his high physicality. We know this of course. But yes I agree he needs to show more of an edge. Perhaps he's still timid playing in the big leagues now

Adding more strength will help him with that too.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
he made probably 3-5 nice passes that couldve ended up in the back of the net if he had support. very good game and as soon as we can get some support for him with legit top 6ers in the lineup he'll be good

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I still can't believe Boyes couldn't bury that gift, what a scrub.

Nylander was one of our best frwds tonight, hands down.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
19 years old and not even a half a season in the NHL and people are already on him.

"I"m finding his play a bit soft"
"Honestly I'll be very surprised if Nylander is ever more popular with the fanbase than he is right now. If you didn't like Kessel, you're not going to like Nylander"

How about waiting two years at least.

Oh yes.. this is Leaf nation, almost forgot.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
19 years old and not even a half a season in the NHL and people are already on him.

"Honestly I'll be very surprised if Nylander is ever more popular with the fanbase than he is right now. If you didn't like Kessel, you're not going to like Nylander"

so you're saying no other fan base in the league ever makes a comment about there kids until at least there 3rd season ?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

How am I getting on him lmao

I liked Kessel. As with Nylander, I think his deficiencies are outshone by the elite positives in his game.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
How am I getting on him lmao

I liked Kessel. As with Nylander, I think his deficiencies are outshone by the elite positives in his game.

Kessel is extreme - because his elite positives and deficiencies were on polar opposites of the spectrum. Nylander is already showing to be a more well-rounded player than Kessel ever was, with the commitment to work hard at improvement to boot. Because of this I don't think Nylander will be as polarizing as Kessel.

I do agree that Nylander's cerebral non-physical style of play will probably cause some negative responses though. But that's his style - he'll have to find a way to be consistently be effective within it or work on adding a more physical side of his game where he can engage the opposition more. I think he just needs time to keep adjusting to the rigours of the NHL schedule and add more strength where he won't be tentative to battle harder on the boards.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
This kid is +1 over 15GP after putting up just 5 ES points. When he's on the ice, the Leafs have scored at a rate of 1.9 G/60, while they've given up just 1.3 GA/60.

Say whatever you like about his grit, or whatever, but very good things happen defensively when he's on the ice.

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
why do people associate "grit" and "toughness" with good defensive play

so far in this small sample size of his play he has driven possession extremely well and led to positive corsi results, who cares how he gets it done if it's being done

same reason why **** hated gardiner the last few years or kaberle before him

another thing is you don't have to make amazing defensive plays to be good defensively... if you don't have to make the great flashy play it means if you were in a position to avoid the high risk opportunity to begin with

nylander has been fantastic so far and what you'd expect from a 19 year old rookie with elite potential and not great surrounding talent and finishing ability in his linemates to look like

all of this "soft" and "not enough grit" crap is dumb, straight up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
why do people associate "grit" and "toughness" with good defensive play

so far in this small sample size of his play he has driven possession extremely well and led to positive corsi results, who cares how he gets it done if it's being done

same reason why Pejorative Slurs hated gardiner the last few years or kaberle before him

another thing is you don't have to make amazing defensive plays to be good defensively... if you don't have to make the great flashy play it means if you were in a position to avoid the high risk opportunity to begin with

nylander has been fantastic so far and what you'd expect from a 19 year old rookie with elite potential and not great surrounding talent and finishing ability in his linemates to look like

all of this "soft" and "not enough grit" crap is dumb, straight up.

I'll never understand why so many think physicality = good defense.

Luke Schen led the league in hits and was/is terrible at defense.

Nylander relies on good positioning for his two-way play. Often that ends up being much more effective than having the ability to grind out board battles.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Boyes was gift wrapped a goal by Willy and somehow he screwed that up. Cannot wait until this kid gets some talented support with him. He also gave Hyman a sweet pass as he was going to the net but of course he couldn't put it in the net. Nylander is producing offence it's just he has no finishers playing with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad