Prospect Info: William Nylander Discussion - 2015-2016 (WJC Bound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
That hit didn't look good at all. Lets hope it isn't as bad as it looks...

I wouldn't be surprised if Willie was done for the tournament now :(

mikebel111*

Head injuries are much worse then any acl injuries. Once you get a concussion or any head trauma, your more receptive to get another one easier.

Well people were having fits about Leafs not sending him, well there you go. I don't get what's the point in sending a kid that is dominating AHL to WJC where his more of a target and risk of injuries.

That's our luck :shakehead

The people who wanted to send him to the World juniors, well this is what they get.
I was against him being sent down

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
It wasn't Meier I don't think.

Issue for Nylander there is I'm assumin the Swiss player was in his blindspot. We see him make those crazy lateral movements all the time but he just plain didn't see the guy there. Was behind his ears when he makes the turn.

It was Egli who delivered the hit. I agree with you, especially with how he should have less room in the NHL compared to the international surface. I think another part also has to do with Nylander not anticipating where players are on the wider rink.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This pisses me off. Of course we send him to the WJC and he gets a concussion.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
At this point, I'm hoping Leafs get involved and prevent him from coming back. I don't trust Sweden to make the right call when they depend on him, just take him out of the tourney and don't risk it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
At this point, I'm hoping Leafs get involved and prevent him from coming back. I don't trust Sweden to make the right call when they depend on him, just take him out of the tourney and don't risk it.

Smart move. I don't trust them either.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This pisses me off. Of course we send him to the WJC and he gets a concussion.

Leafs didn't send him. Sweden took him due to a contract option that if he isn't in the NHL, then they can call him up for the WJC's. Nylander agreed to go as well.

As per McKenzie, Leafs wouldn't have sent him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Apparently he was taken to the hospital for further treatment.

I'm pretty sure this means his tournament is done. (It was confirmed by the Swedish assistant coach, FYI)

OvenMittz*

Of course!!!!!! That has to happen to the leafs best prospect!!!! Of course!!!!!!

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
This is the worst case scenario but let's not pretend this was a risk the Leafs decided to take by sending him to the tournament. There's always a risk of players being injured whenever they take the ice and IIHF hockey is arguably safer than AHL hockey. There's no way for him to develop into an NHL player without risking injury, it's the unfortunate reality of hockey and sports in general.

With all that said, I hope the IIHF throws the book at Egli because that was a dirty, blindside hit, and I hope Nylander doesn't play another game in this tournament for precautionary reasons unless the Leafs doctors consult him and say otherwise.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs didn't send him. Sweden took him due to a contract option that if he isn't in the NHL, then they can call him up for the WJC's. Nylander agreed to go as well.

As per McKenzie, Leafs wouldn't have sent him.

Such a piss off.

I knew this would happen.

I wonder how all the people advocating for Nylander to go to the WJC feel now?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is a gut wrenching to say the least. I didn't see much of a point to sending Nylander to the WJC in the first place other than to satisfy the storybook prospect development path a lot of people wanted, but this is the worst outcome possible to a decision with very little upside. Getting a cheapshot by a nothing Swiss punk and maybe losing months of development time is beyond ridiculous.

If the Leafs had been proactive and smart about the situation, they should have called up Nylander for a six pack of NHL games during the WJC period, rewarded him for his excellent start to the season and maintained control of their asset.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
This is a gut wrenching to say the least. I didn't see much of a point to sending Nylander to the WJC in the first place other than to satisfy the storybook prospect development path a lot of people wanted, but this is the worst outcome possible to a decision with very little upside. Getting a cheapshot by a nothing Swiss punk and maybe losing months of development time is beyond ridiculous.

If the Leafs had been proactive and smart about the situation, they should have called up Nylander for a six pack of NHL games during the WJC period, rewarded him for his excellent start to the season and maintained control of their asset.

This would've been best.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Such a piss off.

I knew this would happen.

I wonder how all the people advocating for Nylander to go to the WJC feel now?
Pissed off at this BS line. Give me a freaking break. He stays in the AHL and gets hurt would you want a "hahaha well how do you like that?"

You don't want injuries put him in a bubble.

The only person to blame is the guy who hit him. But sure, can wait until you go and blame Leaf management for not putting him in the super safe NHL to prevent Sweden from being able to take him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought there were degrees of concussions. And "quiet rooms" and tests to prove it's a concussion and not just something like whiplash

No such thing as "minor" or "major" concussions, just the way the person deals with it pretty much, some guys have a harder time with it.

Bell rung is a concussion though

Whiplash is different though.

Pissed off at this BS line. Give me a freaking break. He stays in the AHL and gets hurt would you want a "hahaha well how do you like that?"

If he gets hurt playing for the Marlies or the Leafs, at least he was hurt playing for our organization and in a men's league.

This tournament was a step down for him and did not benefit the Leafs at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is there confirmation it was a concussion? Or did he just have his bell rung?

You do realize that having your bell rung is just an old school term for concussion? They used that term because they didn't know how to deal with what we know now about concussions.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This is the worst case scenario but let's not pretend this was a risk the Leafs decided to take by sending him to the tournament. There's always a risk of players being injured whenever they take the ice and IIHF hockey is arguably safer than AHL hockey. There's no way for him to develop into an NHL player without risking injury, it's the unfortunate reality of hockey and sports in general.

With all that said, I hope the IIHF throws the book at Egli because that was a dirty, blindside hit, and I hope Nylander doesn't play another game in this tournament for precautionary reasons unless the Leafs doctors consult him and say otherwise.

Could the Leafs doctors reach him though? The tourney's being held in Finland. I think him going to the hospital and being cleared by a non-partisan body is the best case scenario. Although the Swiss have played a physical brand of hockey, it pales in comparison to what the Canadians and Americans could potentially bring to the table.

The only person to blame is the guy who hit him. But sure, can wait until you go and blame Leaf management for not putting him in the super safe NHL to prevent Sweden from being able to take him.

That's the question. If he were to be hurt, would you have it happen during the AHL season or during an overseas competition? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where it happened... it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad