William Nylander - Big Willie Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its great that Wee Willie is off to a good start.. This is exactly what was hoped for by management for his development when they sent him home this year.

They figured he would excel better in the SEL than the AHL.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Didn't play well at all against the Czechs today. The effort by the whole team was the worst I've seen in a while though. Ended up with a nice goal at the end but a poor game overall.

Oh, great, looks like he'll fit right in with our Leafs! :(

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
:laugh:

Why not just call him Billy the Kid then since William = Bill?

There's also Bill Ny, the hockey guy

It's weird that I was actually thinking about that this morning too:

Will Nye the Swedish guy

Also we've got our hashtag catchphrase for when he gets inevitably benched/healthy scratched in his rookie year #FreeWillie

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
With Winnik out I'd love for him to get a shot.

He's developing well, who knows what bringing him here could do, the pressure it would create, etc.

We have NHL ready guys (or close enough) here that can step up. Carrick, Holland, Leivo, McKegg, Panik, etc can all take on larger roles and/or be called up.

I want to see Nylander have a chance to dominate all year in the SHL/WJC instead of bringing him here where he could go into a tailspin.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
He's developing well, who knows what bringing him here could do, the pressure it would create, etc.

We have NHL ready guys (or close enough) here that can step up. Carrick, Holland, Leivo, McKegg, Panik, etc can all take on larger roles and/or be called up.

I want to see Nylander have a chance to dominate all year in the SHL/WJC instead of bringing him here where he could go into a tailspin.

My thought was he would get the shot on the second line as opposed to giving one of our current periphery guys more time.

I definitely do agree with you that there is a lot of risk but risk does bring rewards.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
He's under contract with MODO, so I don't think that's possible... Not until their season is over I think.

He's under contract with the leafs as well. I believe that the contracts have provisions which lets them out if they want to go to the NHL.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He's under contract with the leafs as well. I believe that the contracts have provisions which lets them out if they want to go to the NHL.

It will never happen.

Modo is not going to let their best player go because Toronto's 9th forward is injured.

That's ridiculous.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
It will never happen.

Modo is not going to let their best player go because Toronto's 9th forward is injured.

That's ridiculous.

He's on loan to MODO. I don't know how that works but I think it was Friedman who said that the Leafs have until Jan-Feb to call him back. In other words, I don't think MODO would have a say. Not that I think that would ever happen

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He's on loan to MODO. I don't know how that works but I think it was Friedman who said that the Leafs have until Jan-Feb to call him back. In other words, I don't think MODO would have a say. Not that I think that would ever happen

That may be true but it's not going to happen.

The Maple Leafs are not going to screw Modo by taking Nylander away from them. He needs to stay there and continue to play well. We made a decision to send him back to develop properly. Not to call him back after losing Daniel Winnik.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
I have many Scandinavian cousins.
Most turn into wiry giants at around 20.
Rushing this kid before he fills out is a recipe for disaster.
He isn't big enough yet. But he will be in the blink of an eye.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
if we don't bring him back, what's the worst that happens? he grows into his body playing euro elite hockey and toronto loses more games to get a higher draft pick? i actually don't have a problem with that.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I have many Scandinavian cousins.
Most turn into wiry giants at around 20.
Rushing this kid before he fills out is a recipe for disaster.
He isn't big enough yet. But he will be in the blink of an eye.

He has 3 inches and like 25 pounds on a guy who made the Leafs this year.

silentbob37*

Because performance indicates development?

If he isn't producing the rest of the season, he'll get relegated to a much smaller role. If he's in a much smaller role, he's unlikely to develop as well. If he isn't developing as well, he'll most likely not look as good at the training camp.

Of course his performances are of interest.

No it doesn't. Many kids didn't play get at lower levels and excelled later and many, many, many more did great at lower levels and failed at higher ones.

If performance indicate development Didimenco would be a high scoring leaf right now.

How he produces in Sweden this year means nothing.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
No it doesn't. Many kids didn't play get at lower levels and excelled later and many, many, many more did great at lower levels and failed at higher ones.

If performance indicate development Didimenco would be a high scoring leaf right now.

I'm all for reigning in the horses on the hype but at least think before you post....DiDomenico scored against his peers (those his age and younger than him)..Nylander is wrecking a men's league and keeping his team afloat in the standings. Refer to list of PPG scorers at his age in Sweden.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I said indication, not guarantee. Just because it's not 100% accuracy doesn't mean it's not something you can use.

You might as well say that being drafted #1 overall means nothing because DiPietro was not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad