Player Discussion William Lagesson

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Gott agive Walsh credit... we lost our first back to back and a rare home game. Yet I'm wondering about Lagesson today.lol

I think it was very pursposeful and a way to get him on waivers or traded for nothing. He is frustrated and wants a chance somewhere else becuase he doesn't see a clear path to NHL here. I don't blame him and understand. He is an LD... Nurse, Keith, KK, Russel, Bro and now Niem are all in his way. Oh shit and Samo!

I'm generally a fan of the player but sometimes you hit an org and have road blocks in front of you. I feel the same about Benson.

He’s already been on waivers this year and 31 other teams passed on him. Regardless of what Walsh said, he’s going on waivers again when our D get healthy, and likely won’t get claimed again. Nothing Walsh said will be the reason he is put on waivers again, it’s simply because he’s not an everyday NHL player at this point in his career. But his chances of getting claimed were likely diminished with that outburst, as Dmen like him are a dime a dozen, and most teams have a couple of players in their system exactly like him, except they aren’t represented by an agent who likes to be the center of attention, even if it means his clients will suffer for it. Fleury found that out the hard way.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He’s already been on waivers this year and 31 other teams passed on him. Regardless of what Walsh said, he’s going on waivers again when our D get healthy, and likely won’t get claimed again. Nothing Walsh said will be the reason he is put on waivers again, it’s simply because he’s not an everyday NHL player at this point in his career. But his chances of getting claimed were likely diminished with that outburst, as Dmen like him are a dime a dozen, and most teams have a couple of players in their system exactly like him, except they aren’t represented by an agent who likes to be the center of attention, even if it means his clients will suffer for it. Fleury found that out the hard way.
I agree with everything you said. BUT as a result of Walsh's tweet the word is out that he was excellent on Friday night (which I'm iffy about tbh). He's just generating publicity for his player before he hits waiver wire.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is hilarious. So which is it? Tippett is prejudiced or Woodcroft/Manson whisperer of defensemen?

Holland and Tippett have listened to the AHL team when it comes to call-ups and deployment of call-ups. Lagesson has had a poor season in Bakersfield, he was called up as a #7D, and pressed into service due to further injury. Both Broberg and Niemelainen were playing better in the AHL and are being deployed as such.

Lagesson has had many opportunities with the team and clearly doesn't have a NHL future here. Broberg and Niemelainen should both be getting playing time ahead of him, Lagesson hasn't done himself any favors with his play in preseason or Bako this season IMO.

Agreed Laggesson hasn't done himself any favors this year but in previous years he was in and out of the line up with little to no reasoning.

It's very easy to see his frustration.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I agree with everything you said. BUT as a result of Walsh's tweet the word is out that he was excellent on Friday night (which I'm iffy about tbh). He's just generating publicity for his player before he hits waiver wire.

Every GM and most fans know Walsh’s schtick by now. He pumps up all of his players thru social media. Which is fine. But there isn’t a hockey person in the world that is going to look at Walsh’s tweet and not have a good chuckle, knowing that it’s just another promotional tweet.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If he continues to progress, I think Neimeleinen , or Meltonin, or whatever the hell his name is, will be on the inside track to be a part of this team going forward. He has a unique set of skills (as the movie goes), that are limited in our normal lineup. A bunch of skilled guys, and tsmaller guys, with Nurse being the only big nasty there. I really like Laggesson, but I'm not sure there is room for him in a regular lineup. He may be gone in a trade package by next year. I would wish him well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Agreed Laggesson hasn't done himself any favors this year but in previous years he was in and out of the line up with little to no reasoning.

It's very easy to see his frustration.
The reasoning was that he wasn’t very good.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Slow Starts are Exposing the Oilers

Let’s unpack this tweet. Yes, Lagesson had solid possession numbers for that game. Yes, Dave Tippett didn’t speak to Lagesson prior to the game. But Jim Playfair, the defence coach, did. Playfair spoke to Lagesson once he got to the rink. Darnell Nurse wasn’t cleared to play until after the extras had skated in the morning, so that’s why Lagesson didn’t skate with them. Jason Strudwick, who was healthy scratched over 100 times in his 13-year career, told me that it usually was the defence coach who told him he wasn’t playing. The head coach did a few times, but that wasn’t normal. He even said a few times he heard it from someone other than the coaches.

Tippett has long been well respected by his players, because he, according to them, is upfront about how he wants them to play. I don’t think Playfair informing Lagesson he wasn’t playing is a major sign of disrespect and I don’t see it destroying the team.
Walsh has never been afraid to speak publicly on behalf of his players. It is why many like him as their agent. Lagesson gave his agent the green light to tweet this. Lagesson is frustrated. He felt he played well on Friday and deserved to play. I can respect his competitive side. His challenge is he is currently ninth or 10th on the organization’s defensive depth chart. Nurse, Evan Bouchard, Duncan Keith, Kris Russell, Slater Koekkoek, Philip Broberg and Markus Niemelainen might all be ahead of him on the left side. It is clear Lagesson wants to be moved, otherwise this wouldn’t have become public.

The issue is he was on waivers earlier this year and no team claimed him. Once Keith and Koekkoek are healthy, Lagesson will go back on waivers. His agent wanted the league to take notice of his client’s stats. I get it. I’m just not sure it will work.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But I still don't see the point in combining players stats. It's like saying Hyman and Ryan are combined -13 ;)
When people are talking about how the rookies should play more I don’t see the issue with it. It’s not like anyone is arguing that Nuge should be played less and Ryan more

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
When people are talking about how the rookies should play more I don’t see the issue with it. It’s not like anyone is arguing that Nuge should be played less and Ryan more

Of course there's no problem, I'm half-kidding. Anyone can combine players with different stats the way they like and if someone finds that useful so be it. But I've sometimes defended +- stats, but IMO they need a much larger sample size than three games. Sorry if I seemed like an asshole to even write about a minor thing like this.

Reactions: nabob

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Lagesson has played better than Broberg and Niemalainen. I can understand the frustration. The org doesn't want those guys to sit though and wants to see what they can do, whereas the feel like they know what they have with Lagesson and are ready to move on from him when his contract is up.

Reactions: MessierII

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Get a new agent like Puljujarvi and maybe your career will go somewhere. Lagesson should focus on being a better hockey player versus being disrespected in a fluid D lineup that is constantly changing due to injury.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Lagesson is awful he sucks! (+2 in 4 games)
Broberg has been terrific! (-6 in 7 games)
Niemalienen is the shizzle! (-2 in 3 games)
Russel stinks! (+5 in 12 games)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

This is a fair point. Experience/age matters especially on the blue line.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Get a new agent like Puljujarvi and maybe your career will go somewhere. Lagesson should focus on being a better hockey player versus being disrespected in a fluid D lineup that is constantly changing due to injury.

The thing was he wasn’t disrespected. He was told by the assistant coach pregame and took the warmup in case Nurse couldn’t go.

This is a controversy of Walsh’s own doing. He is a needle nosed prick.

Reactions: bellagiobob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Funny how plus minus is a shitty stat until it supports someone’s viewpoint.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Funny how plus minus is a shitty stat until it supports someone’s viewpoint.

Plus minus has gone from the most overrated stat to the most underrated stat in a few short years.

People prefer to look at those oh so objective stats like corsi or fenwick or what have you instead of a very nice simple stat, are you on the ice when your team scores? Good! vs are you one the ice when you get scored against, Bad!

Since the object of the game is to score more than getting scored on, thus plus minus is a relevant stat.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Plus minus has gone from the most overrated stat to the most underrated stat in a few short years.

People prefer to look at those oh so objective stats like corsi or fenwick or what have you instead of a very nice simple stat, are you on the ice when your team scores? Good! vs are you one the ice when you get scored against, Bad!

Since the object of the game is to score more than getting scored on, thus plus minus is a relevant stat.

It’s a stupid stat to measure an individual players effectiveness.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad