William Karlsson vs Nikolaj Ehlers

Who do you take moving forward assuming both have identical contracts?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I voted for Karlsson in both. Has nothing to do with the teams involved you can put away your tinfoil hat. *edit after seeing that Karlsson is beating Nylander but not Ehlers I am starting to buy into this theory as much as I hate to admit it.

I understand why people dont think Karlsson will repeat the 40 goals but I think he is a shoe in for be a two way beast 30/30 guy. Which really unless Ehlers and Nylander are scoring at a 75/80 point pace as scoring wingers will not be as valuable of a player. So I guess the real question is do you think Ehlers and Nylander will score that much. If you do then you have an argument, I personally dont see it. Perhaps Nylander some day but I hated his game in the playoffs, I know that can change but you cant teach a player to go to the dirty areas. William Karlsson will go to the dirty areas at both ends of the ice.

Nylander (#8 2014) 0.73ppg career. 61pts 2017/ 61pts 2018
Ehlers (#9 2014) 0.69ppg career. 64pts 2017/ 60pts 2018

this is as close as it gets to players being equal, yet both guys thrown up against the same opponent have drastically different results. Ehlers wins handily with 58% vote, nylander loses with 46%

no tinfoil hat needed. if you check the voters its the same guys over and over voting AGAINST every leaf supposedly to counter the horde of leaf fans they think vote for their guy on every poll. dont believe it check the names that vote against the leafs in every poll. its the same cast of characters

Reactions: blueberrie

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Oh hot take hot take! News at 6 the sens suck and the organization is in shambles next story water is wet.

Did that feel good? Imagine how good it will feel when your boys in blue win a playoff series. We're you alive the last time that happened or old enough to remember?

I was in junior high/ high school when the leafs knocked the sens out what was it 4 times in 5 years?
you are starting to sound like a habs fan always talking about the past. id let it go. the leafs are good and the sens are awful (for now) but they will be better

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
You'd have to think the Jets management is extremely worried about Ehlers lack of show in the playoffs. Karlsson thrived whereas Ehlers disappeared.

Ehlers is a great player in his own right but perhaps the Jets management would prefer to capitalize on his remaining value and look at trade options? I certainly think it's possible.
Yet of course you don't mention anything about Nylander's poor playoff performance in the Nylander vs Karlsson thread.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ

this is as close as it gets to players being equal, yet both guys thrown up against the same opponent have drastically different results. Ehlers wins handily with 58% vote, nylander loses with 46%

no tinfoil hat needed. if you check the voters its the same guys over and over voting AGAINST every leaf supposedly to counter the horde of leaf fans they think vote for their guy on every poll. dont believe it check the names that vote against the leafs in every poll. its the same cast of characters
How do you check who voted for who?

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
If Karlsson would just be little better i would understand the result because of age, but now Karlsson is a tier above Ehlers, it is far from sure that Ehlers will ever reach the level Karlsson have hold this year. Sure it is far from sure that Karlsson can continue on this level, but he has at least shown what he can do over a full season now, including playoff.

Yeah, if Nylander loses against Karlsson it makes it even more strange.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Oh hot take hot take! News at 6 the sens suck and the organization is in shambles next story water is wet.

Did that feel good? Imagine how good it will feel when your boys in blue win a playoff series. We're you alive the last time that happened or old enough to remember?
I remember who the opponent who we beat was ;)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I voted for Karlsson in both. Has nothing to do with the teams involved you can put away your tinfoil hat. *edit after seeing that Karlsson is beating Nylander but not Ehlers I am starting to buy into this theory as much as I hate to admit it.

I understand why people dont think Karlsson will repeat the 40 goals but I think he is a shoe in for be a two way beast 30/30 guy. Which really unless Ehlers and Nylander are scoring at a 75/80 point pace as scoring wingers will not be as valuable of a player. So I guess the real question is do you think Ehlers and Nylander will score that much. If you do then you have an argument, I personally dont see it. Perhaps Nylander some day but I hated his game in the playoffs, I know that can change but you cant teach a player to go to the dirty areas. William Karlsson will go to the dirty areas at both ends of the ice.

If they both got to play as much as Karlsson and pp1, then yes, I believe both Willy and Ehlers could reach those numbers.

Both are among the top point getters playing below 15 this year and 17 mins last year.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You'd have to think the Jets management is extremely worried about Ehlers lack of show in the playoffs. Karlsson thrived whereas Ehlers disappeared.

Ehlers is a great player in his own right but perhaps the Jets management would prefer to capitalize on his remaining value and look at trade options? I certainly think it's possible.

source.gif

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Karlsson easily. Ehlers forgot his team was in the playoffs. Karlsson is leading his team to the cup.
If we were picking between the two for a playoff run this year I'd take Karlsson over Ehlers easily. It's a coin flip on whether you believe Ehlers or Nylander can reach Karlsson's current level in these respective threads. Karlsson has 3 years of development on the younger gents, a lot can happen in 3 years :)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Yeah, there definitely seems to be an anti-Leafs bias. I would take either of those guys over Karlsson until he repeats this performance.

Reactions: Halla and olli

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Karlsson easily. Ehlers forgot his team was in the playoffs. Karlsson is leading his team to the cup.
Recency bias is such a thing on HF.

When Karlsson was 22, he was flopping around in the AHL.

Karlsson was given every oportunity to succeed, massive toi and 1st pp.

Let's all take a breather - Both willy and Nik are better and have way higher ceilings.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
PS, based on the arguments here, Karlsson is also better than Laine and Matthews...
He is a better overall player than Laine right now. Laine's also just turned 20, Matthews I didn't see as much of as the season progressed so I can't speak for his play, but his overall game was miles ahead of Laine's so it's not as believable to me.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
PS, based on the arguments here, Karlsson is also better than Laine and Matthews...
Karlsson is today is better than Laine, idk about the future, but we can definitely say this past year he is better. And his season was arguably even better than Matthews, but everyone is pretty confident Mattthews will be better in the future.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ehlers for now. Karlsson wasn't as good as his point and goal totals this year by virtue of very high shooting and on-ice shooting percentages, he was good but he was also lucky, deflating both to sustainable levels would put him in a similar production range as Ehlers. Seems like people don't realize that Karlsson had the highest shooting percentage of any player with 80 games played in the last 20 years, the next guy down that list with 40+ goals is Brad Boyes at #10

If Karlsson regresses from a career best season in terms of play and his luck normalizes, he could fall well below where Ehlers has been so far in his career

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad