Will Zuccarello clear waivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderss

Oct 17, 2013
Just a question i've been wondering about, if zucc is sent down to the AHL. He has to go through waivers first? And then he can be picked up by any club as long as they give him a similar contract like the one he has in NY?

And do you guys think he will clear waivers or not?

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Yes, he has to clear waivers if he is sent down.

As for if he is picked up, that is impossible to say. I'd say that there is a good chance that he would, since his pricetag is so small, combined with his "versatility" (can play both sides).

He would for example be a good pickup as a "filler" for an injured player on any wing between the second and forth lines (well, maybe not as much on the forth).

But again, impossible to say *shrugs*.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think someone will pick him up, if not a team like Nashville that is desperate for offensive help then a team like the Sharks who puts a premium on puck possession.

Zucc has been pretty brutal this year, but he has been one of the best possession players in the league in all of his earlier seasons with the Rangers. With such a low cap hit, someone is bound to take a chance on him should the Rangers waive him.

But considering how thin we currently are on the wings, I don't see a scenario where we would waive him. Yet.

He really needs to pick it up though, I'm not sure what is going on with him TBH.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
If he hits waivers that means no one was willing to give up an asset to get him so who knows. I'm a big Zuke fan I hope he gets the scoring going so he stays.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pretty much every time we waive someone, a good portion of the board is convinced that the player will be claimed. And the player is rarely claimed. Who was the last person we "lost" to waivers? I don't even remember.

Anyway, on Zuccarello specifically, there's a chance. I'm sure some teams still seem some upside with him, though the fact that he hasn't been able to stick on a team that's been desperate for consistent offense for years probably doesn't help him. If I had to bet I'd say that no, he's not claimed. -

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Pretty much every time we waive someone, a good portion of the board is convinced that the player will be claimed. And the player is rarely claimed. Who was the last person we "lost" to waivers? I don't even remember.

Anyway, on Zuccarello specifically, there's a chance. I'm sure some teams still seem some upside with him, though the fact that he hasn't been able to stick on a team that's been desperate for consistent offense for years probably doesn't help him. If I had to bet I'd say that no, he's not claimed. -

Dale Weise. I think that was the one time that the majority of this board didn't think our guy would get claimed :laugh:

Wolfy*

I'm pretty sure the Rangers will lose Zucc if they send him down. He's a good playmaker, low salary, only 1yr contract. The risk is very low. I believe others will go first.

Zucc isn't even the problem here, bad line combos are. Put him on with better players and we'll see points coming. I'm sceptical when it comes to this new coaching staff, but we should wait and see how things turn out when all the players are healthy.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure the Rangers will lose Zucc if they send him down. He's a good playmaker, low salary, only 1yr contract. The risk is very low. I believe others will go first.

Zucc isn't even the problem here, bad line combos are. Put him on with better players and we'll see points coming. I'm sceptical when it comes to this new coaching staff, but we should wait and see how things turn out when all the players are healthy.

Bad Lines? You got a line that guts him and the team better?

Mza-Steps-brassard
Mza-brassard-Hags
Mza-brassard-boyle
Mza-brassard-Richards

What do you got?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

That is definitely true.

It comes down to circumstances. Look at when we picked up Ferriero. Definitely not a better player than many other that passes through waivers, but we had an opening, he fitted some describptions etc.

Zucc probably has several suitors. But its not always you have room.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would be surprised if the Rangers couldn't get at least a late round pick for him. Boyle returned a 3rd rounder before he was even in the NHL. Colborne did the same.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I would be surprised if the Rangers couldn't get at least a late round pick for him. Boyle returned a 3rd rounder before he was even in the NHL. Colborne did the same.

and I would take both before Zuccs.

This is probably just my opinion, but I have not seen anything special from Zuccs.

Boyle is a much more valuable player because when he's not scoring, he's providing other elements to the game that come in handy.

Colborne is slowly finding himself. At 6'5" and a slight 215 he's not yet where he should be weight wise to have come to accept what his role in the NHL is going to be.

Colborne is going to be very much like Boyle in the sense that he may not be able to produce the offence folks hoped for, but he can be an effective 4th liner that kills penalties.

Zuccs? not fast or shifty enough to be elusive enough to create in the offensive zone, nor is he solid enough where I would entrust him with PK duties.

He's the epitome of one dimensional. If he's not putting up points, he's 100% useless.

ANNND he's getting 14+ minutes a game at ES and over 2 minutes a game on the PP.

taking off the Rangers rose colored glasses, I look at the Rangers forward group and it really leaves me wanting. It's NOT a good group

Anderss

Oct 17, 2013
and I would take both before Zuccs.

This is probably just my opinion, but I have not seen anything special from Zuccs.

Boyle is a much more valuable player because when he's not scoring, he's providing other elements to the game that come in handy.

Colborne is slowly finding himself. At 6'5" and a slight 215 he's not yet where he should be weight wise to have come to accept what his role in the NHL is going to be.

Colborne is going to be very much like Boyle in the sense that he may not be able to produce the offence folks hoped for, but he can be an effective 4th liner that kills penalties.

Zuccs? not fast or shifty enough to be elusive enough to create in the offensive zone, nor is he solid enough where I would entrust him with PK duties.

He's the epitome of one dimensional. If he's not putting up points, he's 100% useless.

ANNND he's getting 14+ minutes a game at ES and over 2 minutes a game on the PP.

taking off the Rangers rose colored glasses, I look at the Rangers forward group and it really leaves me wanting. It's NOT a good group

100% useless is abit harsh imo

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I think someone will pick him up, if not a team like Nashville that is desperate for offensive help then a team like the Sharks who puts a premium on puck possession.

Zucc has been pretty brutal this year, but he has been one of the best possession players in the league in all of his earlier seasons with the Rangers. With such a low cap hit, someone is bound to take a chance on him should the Rangers waive him.

But considering how thin we currently are on the wings, I don't see a scenario where we would waive him. Yet.

He really needs to pick it up though, I'm not sure what is going on with him TBH.

It's dumb to waive a player who's proven to be useful after less than six (he was fine in the first 2-3) games.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I love Zuccarellos passion and tenaciousness on the puck, but there is no consistent finish to his game. None. This and the size factor were the main reason I was hesitant on bringing him back.

Would he be claimed? I don't really know.

The real question is should the Rangers have used the money they spent on him and maybe Pouliot (who I am quickly souring on) to bring in a more consistent point producer in the 2.25 range.

But the Rangers made their bed with the cap situation they are in. Depth was and is still a concern and they will continue to try and hit the lottery on low wage players with some skill.

That's why they cant afford to expose him, especially now with all the injuries up front. The Rangers are down 3 top 6 players. Could you imagine if Stepan didnt come out of the lockerroom in Washington?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I was expecting 35-40 points. Honestly, every time I notice him he's without his stick or picking himself up off the ice. He doesn't look as sharp as he was during his short stint late last year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Bad lines? Give him better players?

Kid has been getting top 6 mins 2nd unit PP time and last coue games has been playing with our number one center

No shots not setting anyone up virtually useless

He'd go unclaimed unfortunately

Would like to get rid of his salary

I'd stake Stephane Da Costa from Ott right now to take his place all day

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Having said that we'd be a better team with Kreider and da costa here over MZA and Fast. I'd take Kristo over Pyatt as well

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The real question is:

Will fan base clamor for Zucc next year after going a game without scoring?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Better players? He's been playing with Stepan and Brassard. Not Boyle and Dominic Moore. $1.15M for a player who has never played a full NHL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad