Will we win a Cup within the next 5 years under Hextall?

Do you believe Ron Hextall WILL bring us a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No technicalities, no "well, if..." or "Depending on the coach", or anything of the sort.

Do you believe in a simple Yes or No poll that we will have a Stanley Cup winning team within 5 years?

If YES: Say why you think so.
If NO: Post why you think not.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
No - the slow cook method he has employed, seems to venerate, does not turn around quick results. Even if the team becomes top flight and is a constant challenger for the cup, the 5 year time-span seems too short to realize this ultimate goal. Few teams have done it the slow cook method and reached said heights. The Nashvilles and Winnipegs (currently successful teams that were built primarily through home-grown talent, limited hockey trades for needs) all took longer than 5 years to matriculate to this point.

By Hextall's own words, he's only really 2 years in, so an additional 5 years from now makes 7 years (or 9 in real life). This summer will be Chevy's 7th (becomes null if they win). Polie has been at the job since forever.

Vegas is an anomaly. Chicago and Boston could be comparative, although I think Chicago took advantage of a new landscape coming out of the 1st lock-out and adapted to the new NHL better than most, Boston was the last vestige of the old NHL working. The Flyers do not have the coaching to reinvent the game on their terms to attack the league on a different, unaccounted for access to exploit advantages (minimize weaknesses). LA is probably the best reason to have faith, how they won and Hextall was actively present for the 1st.

TL;DR - the talent level may be on the cusp of Cup winning; have no faith in the coaching to get us over the hump, doubt talent will trump coaching enough to secure necessary wins; have not yet experienced a reason to have faith GM can make a successful win-now move; 5 year window too short (maybe 7+, yes).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, because this team will be "cup competitive" by 2020-21, which means three years with a legitimate shot.
That assumes Hart will be ready to start and be at least above average by then.
And Hextall will make one major deal in the summer of 2019 or 2020 to finish the rebuild.

Now by win I mean the odds are > 50% they pull it off one of those three years.
Actually winning is uncertain.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, because he has a massive blindspot around coaching.

As another mentioned, best case is he is looked back on as Ed Wade and, hopefully, Sam Hinkie.

If he looks to improve the team this summer and fires Hakstol early next season or next summer at the latest, I might change my opinion.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
tumblr_m470sgwTOK1r96fbno1_500.gif

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
NO, cuz im convinced Hexy is 5 yrs away from being 5 yrs away...

this offseason could change my mind on him, but im expected he does nothing of any import. over the summer..

the fact both Lappy and Haktard are clearly staying on speaks volumnes about his overall direction and lack of sence of urgency...

hell i wont be 1/2 surprized if the only signing is godam Meatpig coming back afterall. hahaahah

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The talent will be there, and if Hart keeps on his path we could

I voted no though as Haktard most likely has at a minimum 2 more full years , so that only leaves three years to win and that is hard.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
Put me down for yes. I'm cautiously optimistic that the team is being built the right way, by which I mean setting them up to be competitive for a long period of time versus the Holmgren and Clarke method of throwing the kitchen sink at FA every year and trading away draft picks. Within the next 5 years the team should be faster and more dynamic overall, the defense will be both big and mobile, and Hart should be locked in as a legit #1 starter. This should be a perennial 100+ point team. To my eyes, the future is very bright.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
NO, cuz im convinced Hexy is 5 yrs away from being 5 yrs away...

this offseason could change my mind on him, but im expected he does nothing of any import. over the summer..

the fact both Lappy and Haktard are clearly staying on speaks volumnes about his overall direction and lack of sence of urgency...

hell i wont be 1/2 surprized if the only signing is godam Meatpig coming back afterall. hahaahah

Do you actually believe this or are you just saying it because its a meme?

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Since it's forbidden to hedge, I'll say yes.

1. Drafting/Talent Pipeline - A

2. Cap Management - A

3. Coaching - C minus

And the good news is #3 (unlike #1 and #2) can be fixed pretty damn quick.

Besides, the hockey gods owe us.

4ffebda459dcf694df0f56952c26761f_400x400.jpeg

^^^^^^Carter Hart sporting his playoff beard, 2020 ^^^^^^ :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad