Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope they manage to sign Raanta but if not there are a few possibilities on the list above that would be worth a try on a couple. Hutchinson, Bernier, Khodobin, Dell ......
Ok, which one is better, and how much are we going to be saving? We have a bit of history with Raanta now and I think he is a less of a gamble than anyone else.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Raanta has looked very good lately but let's not totally forget his injuries this year; particularly at the start of the season which is a very big reason why the Coyotes had such a horrific start. Something to think about. I'm good for 4-5 years at $3.5-$4.5 per. That appears to be the market.
Injuries happen and isn't this the first year that he had injury problems? I would be good with the term and $$$ you suggested, but I think 4.5 may be a bit much. Time will tell.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ok, which one is better, and how much are we going to be saving? We have a bit of history with Raanta now and I think he is a less of a gamble than anyone else.
I don't think either are better but history has shown that none are worse either?? If Raanta and his Camp want too much money I'm fairly confident that two of them will cost one Raanta and that kinda gives a little more security in net as one might catch lightning, there are no guarantees that Raanta repeats this year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If we can't sign Raanta, hopefully not the case, I would take a flyer on Hutchinson and either of Bernier or Khodobin. Hutchinson with the hopes he regains the potential that he showed a few years ago and the other as a very stable backup with experience. Would probably be able to sign all 3 for less than one Raanta if you want to really increase your chances at success.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No he didn't. he played 30 games last year and only 35 so far this year. That is heavy back up minutes not starter load minutes or games. This has nothing to do with Smith its based on value. Should we sign him? Yes. Should we over pay or give out too much term? NO. We don't have to, we can give him market rates for his age, experience and production.
I don't think anyone wants to over pay for Raanta, or any other player for that matter. What would you pay him? I think it was you who mentioned a two year term deal. That won't get it done.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't think anyone wants to over pay for Raanta, or any other player for that matter. What would you pay him? I think it was you who mentioned a two year term deal. That won't get it done.
Personally I would not be over $4 million and would not look at anything over 3 years, he has not proven he can take the workload and we are a budget team. But it isn't my money and I like the player, I'm just not sure if he's first half of season goalie or last month goalie??? A fee guys have looked good lately but that's a little easier when games don't matter.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Personally I would not be over $4 million and would not look at anything over 3 years, he has not proven he can take the workload and we are a budget team. But it isn't my money and I like the player, I'm just not sure if he's first half of season goalie or last month goalie??? A fee guys have looked good lately but that's a little easier when games don't matter.
I would be fine with that figure, maybe throw in a team option somewhere.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Before this year I would have said that goalie isn't much of a priority, that we can always find a goalie. Our experience with Domingue convinces me that the choice of goalie is very important. I would give him a front loaded 5 year ontract.
I have always maintained a goalie is #1 priority. You don't win in the NHL without a good goalie and RT said as much in one of his pressers, and we wouldn't have this winning streak if not for the play of Raanta.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we can't sign Raanta, hopefully not the case, I would take a flyer on Hutchinson and either of Bernier or Khodobin. Hutchinson with the hopes he regains the potential that he showed a few years ago and the other as a very stable backup with experience. Would probably be able to sign all 3 for less than one Raanta if you want to really increase your chances at success.
I wouldn't touch Hutchinson with a ten foot pole and I would think Bernier will get as much or more than Raanta as is older. Khudobin could be a option but he is older and would be more of a gamble than Raanta.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I wouldn't touch Hutchinson with a ten foot pole and I would think Bernier will get as much or more than Raanta as is older. Khudobin could be a option but he is older and would be more of a gamble than Raanta.
Bernier will sign for around $2 million so I hope you are correct!!!! He's 9 months older than Raanta. Hutchinson has regained his form in AHL this year, he still has potential.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's going to be 4x4 - I'm calling it now. :)

Works for me. Anything below $4.5M/year is gravy for me. There just isn't anyone else available who is either going to be affordable enough or good enough to replace him. And the team loves the guy.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bernier will sign for around $2 million so I hope you are correct!!!! He's 9 months older than Raanta. Hutchinson has regained his form in AHL this year, he still has potential.
If Bernie wants only $2 mill. I would sign him and Raanta at $4 mill. Goal tending solved.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
What does Chayka do if Philly or NYI offer a lottery protected 1st for Raanta in the next week?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Who do you think we can get at 2 yrs. at 3.5 mill that is as good or better than Raanta?
What I am saying is this: market value for Raanta is max 2 years a 4 mill or 3-4 years at 3.5 or less. I think that is the market for Raanta if we sign him or somebody else signs him. He isn't proven yet in spite of his last 6 weeks of play. Plenty of goalies have played well in short spurts and have had good back up stats.

Between here and the end of the year, if he plays lights out like he is now, he might get 4 by 4. If his play declines, he could get 2 by 2. I think he will get somewhere in between this summer or now if Chayka extends him. I'll guess we sign him for 2 years at 3.5 mill or 3-4 years at 3 mill.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ek has them looking at Antti. If we move him, we’re set for worst team in the league.

Yeah, without Raanta we're donezo. And you'd have to wonder what message that'd send to the team, when they're apparently just starting to get some confidence.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
We are winning right now. I dont want to start losing again because we moved our potential future goalie for futures. He was a big part of the Stepan trade. Unless he says he wont sign long term unless he is proven there is stability I think we have to keep him.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
We are winning right now. I dont want to start losing again because we moved our potential future goalie for futures. He was a big part of the Stepan trade. Unless he says he wont sign long term unless he is proven there is stability I think we have to keep him.
1st rounder on the table the option for Raanta is sign now or we talk again July 1st.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, without Raanta we're donezo. And you'd have to wonder what message that'd send to the team, when they're apparently just starting to get some confidence.
The same message it will be on July 1st if someone else offers Raanta stupid money, It's just business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad