Will this franchise make the playoffs before the Oilers?

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
The culture needs to change in Edmonton. Even with a new guard it still looks like more of the same.

The fact that MacT walked onstage at the draft was very telling to me and put to rest any of the notions I've read on HF that MacT ''has nothing to do with hockey decisions''. Chiarelli might be the GM, but Katz is the puppet master who pulls all the strings and as long as he's the owner I just don't see very much success for the Oilers on the ice other then revenue from the new arena.

I voted for LV because I think they will get an actual decent team from the expansion draft including a sound defence and decent goaltenders.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Probably not but I sure as **** hope so. What a shame McDavid is there because I like him.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I believe both teams will make the play-offs in 2017-18. Edmonton with definitely a higher chance because it will be first season for LV, so it depends.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
In all seriousness, Vegas might be getting a bit of a boost with the expansion draft, but you can just about count on them not having any elite talent for quite a while.

Edmonton may still have a damaged core, but that's really just more of a sign they won't be winning the CUP any time soon. I'm sure that one year, the stars will align and they'll sneak into 8th eventually.

Phoenix not only made the playoffs, but made the West final with no* elite talent. *yes they had OEL, only his 2nd season though.

Went with Vegas, but that is they get a good coach. I really hope they don't go full Columbus out of the gate. If they go full Columbus, then I'm going with the Oilers.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Too funny.

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, though? The Oilers are really trying to get the smart money to put their bet on Las Vegas.

guy

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Put me down for no. Apparently Daly says Vegas will only be guaranteed a lottery range pick in the draft once. Not that that's the straw that breaks the camel's back but it doesn't help.
Guaranteed a lottery range pick is for four years.

First year:
The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season. (The odds of the team picking in the top 4 should be close to 70%)

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).
Also from: http://sinbin.vegas/many-more-expansion-and-entry-draft-rules/
Guaranteed spot in the draft lottery for four years as per Friedman
So LV can make the PO and still be in the lottery (probably at par with the 15th team).

So in 2017: guaranteed top-6.

With the expansion draft and the entry draft for four years, I could see LV making it in PO in 2019 or 2020.

Also important:
In my opinion, the most important rule has yet to be addressed, expansion trades. Any restrictions on expansion trades will be devastating to the long term health of the Las Vegas franchise. Coming into the league alone will give the new GM hundreds of players to make deals with.

Think about it this way, any player who will not be protected can essentially be viewed as Las Vegas property until the player is not selected at the Expansion Draft.

If a player is planned to be exposed, the Vegas GM will be able to make a deal, in exchange for future picks, as a promise not to pick him. If done right, and if the league doesn’t restrict the deals, Las Vegas could wind up with a boat load of picks over the next few drafts.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm pretty sure the draft lottery position for the years following 17-18 has been disproven. That article was written prior to the announcement and uses Friedman's data which was a prediction/rumor at the time. There is no mention of Vegas' draft position outside of the team's first entry draft in any official way that I've seen.

Pretty sure after year #1 we're drafting in the spot the team earned on the ice.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I'm pretty sure the draft lottery position for the years following 17-18 has been disproven. That article was written prior to the announcement and uses Friedman's data which was a prediction/rumor at the time. There is no mention of Vegas' draft position outside of the team's first entry draft in any official way that I've seen.

Pretty sure after year #1 we're drafting in the spot the team earned on the ice.
Well you should be in the lottery in 2018 also.
But as you wrote, there is no announcement after 2017 so it could be both ways.

But this team will have good goalies and d-men because they usually take longer to develop.
For example, Gotisbehere and Pareyko need to be protected because they will we available.
Many teams have prospects that could be available (Montour in Anaheim for example).

Getting top-6 should be also easy with teams that have given NMC to players that are no longer performing.

What will be lacking is top-3.
You should be able to get one in 2017 entry draft ready for 2018-19.

With a few UFAs in 2017 and 2018, this team will certainly compete.
Can certainly do better than Vancouver.:naughty:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I can't find the tweet anymore but there was a tweet with Daly saying the lottery range guarantee is only for next year.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I can't find the tweet anymore but there was a tweet with Daly saying the lottery range guarantee is only for next year.

The best way I can say it is that after the entry draft we're a normal team like every other one. There's nothing abnormal or different about the team after the puck drops for the first time.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The best way I can say it is that after the entry draft we're a normal team like every other one. There's nothing abnormal or different about the team after the puck drops for the first time.

Right. Four years of handouts would be nice but it's overkill. Especially if the team is competitive in that timefame.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Do people not understand how good McDavid is? Our D is still lacking a bit (depends on the progression of the young guys - Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Davidson), but our forward group, 1-12, is as good as nearly any in the league.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Do people not understand how good McDavid is? Our D is still lacking a bit (depends on the progression of the young guys - Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Davidson), but our forward group, 1-12, is as good as nearly any in the league.

Not that I don't think that the Oilers can make the playoffs, but when has that ever been enough? There's still a culture there. There's still lessons that the core group needs to learn. It's not just gonna happen cause they've amassed some talent.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Not that I don't think that the Oilers can make the playoffs, but when has that ever been enough? There's still a culture there. There's still lessons that the core group needs to learn. It's not just gonna happen cause they've amassed some talent.

I'm of the mind that the culture there took a big step forward with a recent trade. ;)

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Vegas is getting a nice team to start with, but no. The Oilers will make it first. Vegas will have no elite talent at all for some time. They'll have the better defense off the bat, but a pretty lousy offense. A poor offense and ok defense does not get you into the playoffs any time soon. It's much easier to find eight better Western Conference teams over the next few years... the Oilers included.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It's certainly possible.

Carolina made it in their second year, Florida in their third etc.

But surely the Oilers will make it in the next two years......?

I hope so for the sake of their poor fans.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
All it takes is a goalie who can steal points and a solid defense, if they get a coach with a good defensive game it could happen. I think they'll get a good defense at the draft and probably a dependable goalie so it's definitely possible.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I'd say Edmonton. Vegas won't have any chemistry out of the gate or star talent for years.
I have a feeling McPhee will actively move some of their more valuable players to build a prospect pool as soon as possible. With the quality of players available in the expansion draft they'd be stuck in mediocrity so might as well try to start building a winner right away.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I voted Edmonton because the lack of top-3 in LV.
You will probably pick one in 2017 but he won't be good before 2019 (unless you get 1st OA with Nolan).

In the goal and in defense you will probably be able to compete with the Oilers and many other teams.
You may even have a better goalie than Talbot in your team.

Larsson is a very good addition to their defense (very high cost: Hall).
Oilers's defense will mature also by a year.

In offense, they lost Hall but added Lucic and Puljujarvi to:
McDavid, Draisatl, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Pouliot
and you have eight players who can play top-6.

I think Oilers will make the PO in 2018 and LV in 2019.

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Three years minimum before LV makes the playoffs. My money's on Edmonton.

Who's better in five? Will depend on McPhee.

LDNKnights82

Jul 18, 2016
London ON
Safe bet is the oilers but safe bets are boring I'm predicting the oilers D to fail to live up to the hype and keep them in the lottery for the foreseeable future. Tyson Berrie could change that if they can pry him away but with the current team my vote is Vegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad