Will this franchise make the playoffs before the Oilers?

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
Now that it's official that Vegas is going to be in the NHL for the 2017-2018, do you think that this expansion franchise will make the playoffs before the Oilers? For reference, it took the two most recent NHL expansion teams (Wild and Blue Jackets) 3 seasons and 8 seasons respectively to make the playoffs.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Obviously a lot is going to depend not only on the roster they ice, but the personnel they put in place; but I think that the momentum of the new market and some adept playing of the cap rules are going to favor Vegas.

There's something systemically wrong with the Oilers, IMO, and they need a full on exorcism at this point.

Nugey McNugeson

Nov 24, 2014
Edmonton
Vegas will enter the league with a better defense corps than the oilers have built the past 8 years. Oiler fan saying saying vegas. Not even a hard choice too, sadly.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I believe that at the absolute worst, The Oilers will make the playoffs in the 2017-2018 season. I have had a tendency to overrate the Oilers before though, so who knows?

It would take a remarkable effort from Vegas to match that.

I definitely hope that Vegas can steal a spot from them though :P

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Oilers fan voting Vegas. They have a clean slate, Oilers still are a convoluted mess of a chalkboard they need to erase instead of reworking equations. Erase it and just start with 97 + x = plan

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm going to say the Oilers.

Sure, the franchise has had problems but they have enough pieces that they can put together a playoff team faster than Vegas.

Vegas will be a better expansion team than previous ones. But, I think it will take them at least a season longer than the Oilers to get there.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Put me down for no. Apparently Daly says Vegas will only be guaranteed a lottery range pick in the draft once. Not that that's the straw that breaks the camel's back but it doesn't help.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They'll have a better defense from the get-go, but I'm leaning "no". I'd love nothing more then to see Vegas in the playoffs in its first couple seasons though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Vegas will have defensive depth that the Oilers will be envious of. Vegas will therefore make the playoffs first.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Voted Edmonton because McSavior. Probably Oilers will get to the playoffs in the next 2 or 3 years.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
In all seriousness, Vegas might be getting a bit of a boost with the expansion draft, but you can just about count on them not having any elite talent for quite a while.

Edmonton may still have a damaged core, but that's really just more of a sign they won't be winning the CUP any time soon. I'm sure that one year, the stars will align and they'll sneak into 8th eventually.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
In all seriousness, Vegas might be getting a bit of a boost with the expansion draft, but you can just about count on them not having any elite talent for quite a while.

Edmonton may still have a damaged core, but that's really just more of a sign they won't be winning the CUP any time soon. I'm sure that one year, the stars will align and they'll sneak into 8th eventually.

The culture needs to change in Edmonton. Even with a new guard it still looks like more of the same.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
A team with Edmonton's top end talent, with the rest of the expansion draft spoils and you'd have a cup favorite easily.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
The culture needs to change in Edmonton. Even with a new guard it still looks like more of the same.

As a lifetime Oilers fan I would say the culture began to change with Chia's arrival. Will depend on his ability to bring in solid defense to help out the forwards.

I believe the Oilers make it before Vegas however I believe Vegas will be knocking on the door by year two.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
it didn't take long for one of these threads to pop up. Honestly, the expansion team is looking to have better depth than the Oilers currently enjoy, given the level of players that will be available for expansion.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mcdavid will carry them into the playoffs before Vegas makes it

Don't know if they will win a cup before though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->