Will the Wings have a top 10 pick this time next year

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
fair enough

so for next year, what can holland possibly do to make us more competetive and less boring?

it seems nobody is buying what we're selling and we have no cap space

the first round of the draft was likely going to be the highlight of the year and that's over with and was sort of a dud

For me it starts with the coach. Incorporating a style that is designed to play close all game, and not push for goals and wins. It seemed in the last 2 seasons, at least 50 or so games in each season, we have had 1 goal or no goals by the halfway point of games. Then we give up a bunch in the last 20 or so minutes. So new coach and much more aggressive pace would be great.

Obviously we are bound by the cap problems and lackluster players, but do what you can to rid Ericsson, Howard/Mrazek and bring in some fresh faces to replace them, would be nice. Ultimately, I wish they would trade Dekeyser and Abdelkader, as I believe they are the worst contracts we have, but that won't happen, because of the lame Michigan ties thing.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because of Holland, you are watching boring hockey.

I actually blame the Illitch family for their insistence on loyalty to everyone. Loyalty is great, but should be reserved for Zetterberg level players, not Abdelkader, Ericsson, etc.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I actually blame the Illitch family for their insistence on loyalty to everyone. Loyalty is great, but should be reserved for Zetterberg level players, not Abdelkader, Ericsson, etc.

Ilitch loved stars.

You think the family is ordering Holland to extend players like Gator, Helm, Ericsson and Cleary?

As for the OP's question.

Wings are gonna be in a similar position next season.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Hopefully the top pick so we draft Rasmus Dahlin.

But Holland will probably **** it up and take someone else instead.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Kenny will do everything he can to avoid tanking, so I see us turning into the Detroit Pistons of the NHL. That is, we refuse to tank and do what is necessary to have a top 3 pick. Instead, Kenny will make moves and try to field a team on ice that does just enough to keep us picking in the 9-13 range. Kenny is either to prideful to incompetent or both to let this team truly bottom out for a top pick. Add onto that, going into a new arena, edict from management will likely to be to keep this team "competitive" for as long as possibly.

Next year will cement us as the Detroit Pistons of the NHL, a franchise that refuses to bottom out and get better over the long run.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For me it starts with the coach. Incorporating a style that is designed to play close all game, and not push for goals and wins. It seemed in the last 2 seasons, at least 50 or so games in each season, we have had 1 goal or no goals by the halfway point of games. Then we give up a bunch in the last 20 or so minutes. So new coach and much more aggressive pace would be great.
As much as I am not a fan of Blashill, and (on paper) would enjoy a more up tempo, aggressive style...with this collection of players, Detroit would lose a boatload of games 6-2. Their defense lacks the ability to consistently start the rush, so you'd have forwards still trying to do all the work, and either getting pickpocketed right off the bat, or getting caught up the ice, leading to frequent odd man rushes (or even outright breakaways) for the opponent.

As boring as the current style of hockey can be...it's the safest route to go when you lack talent. (Meaning, I'd still be all for it, since it would probably help the tank, but management would never ever go for it.)

Obviously we are bound by the cap problems and lackluster players, but do what you can to rid Ericsson, Howard/Mrazek and bring in some fresh faces to replace them, would be nice. Ultimately, I wish they would trade Dekeyser and Abdelkader, as I believe they are the worst contracts we have, but that won't happen, because of the lame Michigan ties thing.
Why change when they're just 1 or 2 lucky bounces from being right back where they want to be? I'm saving my seat for the Stanley Cup Playoff Participation Awards Ceremony. :sarcasm:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Hopefully a top two

Dahlin would be the dream pick, with Svechnikov being a close second especially considering we have his brother.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Yes we will. We will pretty much have the same team but just paying more for Tatar, AA, and Xavier. Someone will be lost but it's the same ole gang back again, lead by Trashill.

Just realized we still got 5 more years of Nielsen @ $5.25M lol...../cry

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hopefully a top two

Dahlin would be the dream pick, with Svechnikov being a close second especially considering we have his brother.

Don't get the Svech obsession. Are we going to start a revolutionary NHL fad where you trot out 3 wingers as a forward unit?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With our D situation it is hard to see us outside of the top 5. We should have two first round picks or at least some very good addition to this organization out of Mike Green next year in my opinion.

Next year is the year where we should take our lumps. It was interesting when Tyler Wright talked about his vision which I assume is the organizations vision for the top 6 it was devoid of anything but our young guys. It was basically how HF talks about the future ignoring all contracts and focusing on the young guys. That was pretty fascinating given the terms of some of players, but still I think those are the kind of comments I am looking for in terms of a rebuild. That he talked about Rasmussen, Mantha, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov and Athanasiou as our top six is a big step towards what needs to happen here in terms of logic in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't get the Svech obsession. Are we going to start a revolutionary NHL fad where you trot out 3 wingers as a forward unit?

We need a top 2 pick to make that selection. He is the best Russian prospect to me since Malkin does that help understand the the obsession?

Svechnikov or Dahlin next year and I am dancing in the streets and yeah I don't dance...:laugh:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think the wings finish 24th next year but have a better lottery outcome, getting a top 5 pick.

And I'm fine with that. A shame to waste z's last years, but even under a competent coach, this isn't a playoff team...under blashill...can't see it.

I'm fine with it because it will likely result in shedding a contract or two at TDL for picks and more big ice time for our better kids, ultimately leading to a situation where people like Svech, Cholowski, Hroenk and Svech have a chance to step up as soon as they are ready.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
It's probably easier to list the things that need to happen for the Wings to NOT be a top 10 pick

- Zetterberg's back to continue to hold up, and have another year like last year

- Jimmy Howard to be in All-Star mode again AND avoid injury

- Mantha, AA to continue to improve and not suffer from sophomore slumps

- Larkin to come out of his sophomore slump

- Tatar to play like he gives a damn once he's signed his big money contract

- Kenny to actually make a trade and improve our hopelessly bad D

- Mike Green to not get injured

- Blashill fired mid-season and replaced by a veteran coach who gives us the classic new-coach-improvement

- Continue to have freakishly odds-defying shootout performance.

- New arena has fans and players hyped and LCA becomes a fortress

- PP to actually score

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
It's probably easier to list the things that need to happen for the Wings to NOT be a top 10 pick

- Zetterberg's back to continue to hold up, and have another year like last year

- Blashill fired mid-season and replaced by a veteran coach who gives us the classic new-coach-improvement

- PP to actually score

I can see AA getting as much as 8-9 minutes this year. Big improvement from Blabhill .

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I'd say yes.

I think Arizona took several steps to finish ahead of us next season. Vegas will probably be better as well.

Colorado, New Jersey, and Vancouver got better picks but no one that will help them immediately. We'll be battling for worst with them.

Please just get Dahlin or Svechnikov next draft.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I would not be surprised if this team makes the playoffs next season. Our offense is not that bad on paper, and our goaltending can be good. Our defense on the other hand is a whole different story, Kenny really needs to do something there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kenny will do everything he can to avoid tanking, so I see us turning into the Detroit Pistons of the NHL. That is, we refuse to tank and do what is necessary to have a top 3 pick. Instead, Kenny will make moves and try to field a team on ice that does just enough to keep us picking in the 9-13 range. Kenny is either to prideful to incompetent or both to let this team truly bottom out for a top pick. Add onto that, going into a new arena, edict from management will likely to be to keep this team "competitive" for as long as possibly.

Next year will cement us as the Detroit Pistons of the NHL, a franchise that refuses to bottom out and get better over the long run.

Won't you guys still get that bottoming out, even as a last team in the league, doesn't quarantee a 1st overall, or even a TOP3 pick.

Mathematical probability to get a TOP3 pick is lower (under 0.500) than getting that pick, when you finish last.

You just have to have luck in the lottery. Maximizing the lottery probabilities could help, but will be a minor factor in future. Drafting ability and LUCK will have biggest impact, not the pick order.

Just sick of you whiners drumming this same story in every topic. Time will solve Red Wings problems.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
We are going to be bad VERY bad. We may have the worst defense in the NHL. I just hop we do not get any cap space until Holland is fired or moves on. We cannot afford another Nielsen, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Weiss, DDK, Ericsson, Abby, etc. type contract. do not let that guy buy any groceries ever again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We are going to be bad VERY bad. We may have the worst defense in the NHL. I just hop we do not get any cap space until Holland is fired or moves on. We cannot afford another Nielsen, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Weiss, DDK, Ericsson, Abby, etc. type contract. do not let that guy buy any groceries ever again.

Seriously.... I mean you seriously think this belongs. If his back gives out tomorrow that is one of the best bargain contracts we have done.

- PP to actually score

We are a playoff team if these things are happening and it means Blashill isn't fired.

In any event I do think we will finish bottom 10 because of our back-end. Missing from this list is we absolutely need DeKeyser not to be one of the worst 10 D-man getting good minutes in the league.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think they will place worse than they did in 2016/17.

They are off to much worse start already, having a general manager who probably started a goalie controversy, lost their most ready prospect, and made what seems to be a very questionable first round pick. Not to mention that their one good player will be even older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad