• No

Votes: 25 31.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I think many of us are just leery of getting optimistic about anything that happens in the regular season at this point. Personally I don't think there's a team in the playoffs that we absolutely can't beat in a 7 game series, I'm just a little jaded about our ability to execute.

I would agree with that I guess. I also don't think we stack up well with Nashville IMO. About the only team that really "scares me" as a fan.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It is interesting that people here are so negative about the Wild this year but even after that horrible start they are on pace to finish with 101 points which would be their third best season overall.

I think they can beat Winnipeg. I'm not saying they will but it is probably closer to being a 50/50 series than some are suggesting.
It's the eye test, to me. Even with Staal, and to a lesser extent, Zucker , Granlund, Suter, Spurgeon, and Dumba playing out of their minds, they still look incoherent as a team. I don't know what they do well. PP/ Defense/offense/goaltending/physicality/grinding...none are elite. Wild used to be really good grinders who played a smart, structured game. I don't see that any more.

We are a MOR team. Good, but nothing to get excited about. Most worrying is our inability to play good team D.

Only advantage that we have over WPG is in the back end, theoretically, and in experience. Our timidity in road games will not serve us well up in WPG before their rabid fans. Good luck getting a Doobs chant going there.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Over the course of the entire season, the ability to suppress high danger chances against has been really good, if not great. I would say that is the one thing they still do pretty well...at least based on the stats collected for the season, they are still expected to score most of the goals during a game.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild haven't been on the same page all season, but its not like going on amazing runs for 1-2 months in prior seasons helped them in the post-season.

I'm just hoping they get some lucky bounces in the first few games and get hot during the playoffs.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Over the course of the entire season, the ability to suppress high danger chances against has been really good, if not great. I would say that is the one thing they still do pretty well...at least based on the stats collected for the season, they are still expected to score most of the goals during a game.
I was going to say they’re XG is one of tops in the league. Yes above Winnipeg and Nashville.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
It's the eye test, to me.

That's tricky for me. Yeo's team was more satisfying to the eye test on a single-game basis-- spending a lot of time (cycling) in the O-zone and allowing few shots is pretty straightforward to the ol' faceballs. They could regularly lose 2-1 or worse but look like they dominated and shoulda won. Boudreau's system is evidently more effective, but stuff like allowing so many shots just leaves skid marks all over the eye chart. Factor in that deflating playoff result and my basic brain functions tell me to spend my excitement points elsewhere. But then I consider, never once did Yeo-Wild play Boudreau-Ducks where I expected the Wild to win. Wild would either be dominant while barely losing, or look awful and get blown out. It's inconsistent-looking play on both teams' sides, but it's not difficult to pick which results I'd prefer to have.

Reactions: FVM

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
That's tricky for me. Yeo's team was more satisfying to the eye test on a single-game basis-- spending a lot of time (cycling) in the O-zone and allowing few shots is pretty straightforward to the ol' faceballs. They could regularly lose 2-1 or worse but look like they dominated and shoulda won. Boudreau's system is evidently more effective, but stuff like allowing so many shots just leaves skid marks all over the eye chart. Factor in that deflating playoff result and my basic brain functions tell me to spend my excitement points elsewhere. But then I consider, never once did Yeo-Wild play Boudreau-Ducks where I expected the Wild to win. Wild would either be dominant while barely losing, or look awful and get blown out. It's inconsistent-looking play on both teams' sides, but it's not difficult to pick which results I'd prefer to have.

Thanks for articulating my incoherent thoughts. Minus the faceballs and skid marks, but thanks for them, too.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, is that our only choice? A Yeobots, or Brucebots? Is this mediocrity never going to end?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I beg to differ. We are pretty well the definition of mediocrity...maybe a hair above.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
As long as Parise/Suter eat up as much salary as they do, we will always be right around the mediocre point. If you're going to pump that much money into two players, at least be assured that they are game changers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As long as Parise/Suter eat up as much salary as they do, we will always be right around the mediocre point. If you're going to pump that much money into two players, at least be assured that they are game changers.

It's crazy that Suter still gets lumped into this. The guy has been top 10-12 at his position since the moment he put our jersey on.

Reactions: Wild11MN and Bazeek

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Suter is quietly having one of hist best offensive seasons in his career. And continuing to be an absolute game changer defensively.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
What is the definition of mediocrity in the case of an NHL team?
We are best and worst at nothing. We are balanced and thick mediocrity, nothing flashy or to be worried about expect the prospect pool. We aren't cup contenders but not 1OA pick candidates, we get to second round possibly but don't miss playoffs.

Our team is dull. In Finland there's a term "HMV - Hajuton, mauton ja väritön" which can be translated freely in English: scentless, tasteless and colorless.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Calgary maybe? Florida? Islanders? Idk.
I wouldn't disagree with those, but I'm curious about where people think the line between "mediocre" and "good" is. Or is "good" just a subset of "mediocre?"

I have concerns about this team plateauing over the next few seasons, but it sometimes seems like anything less than multiple, recent conference finals appearances is considered mediocre.

(Not to attribute that stance to 57special; I was just curious where he drew the line)

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
In the two years that he has been here, there have been a total of 2 teams that have finished in the top 10 in each season. We are 1 of those 2 teams.
Low bar. How about we even get to one Conference final before we celebrate our excellence?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
We are best and worst at nothing. We are balanced and thick mediocrity, nothing flashy or to be worried about expect the prospect pool. We aren't cup contenders but not 1OA pick candidates, we get to second round possibly but don't miss playoffs.

Our team is dull. In Finland there's a term "HMV - Hajuton, mauton ja väritön" which can be translated freely in English: scentless, tasteless and colorless.
I think it's fair to say we have one of the best bluelines in the league and are among the best at generating scoring chances while not allowing many, though I realize "scoring chances" is a fuzzy term. Beyond that I agree there's a lot of "balance" and a lack of bite, but it's something.

It's interesting to hear it defined more as a function of identity than of results, though. I'm more inclined to agree with the team being "mediocre" in that sense.

Reactions: MVPGoon

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter is still going strong, if not stronger. He is more than earning his paycheck. In a couple of years or so he will be considered a a bargain if he keeps this level of play up.

Parise is another story. His back is f***ed. Tough deal for the Wild, for the fans...I'm sure he wishes it was otherwise.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Suter is still going strong, if not stronger. He is more than earning his paycheck. In a couple of years or so he will be considered a a bargain if he keeps this level of play up.

Parise is another story. His back is ****ed. Tough deal for the Wild, for the fans...I'm sure he wishes it was otherwise.

It honestly really doesn't look like it, the way he's moving around. Maybe he's losing general skill that might come with a player of his ilk aging, but I get zero sense that he's being restricted by his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad