Votes: 54 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 31.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
This team just is so inconsistent. If they can get it going, for sure. Wouldn't bet money on it though.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Part of the problem is that there are six teams in the central with 50 or more points, which is the same as for the entire Eastern Conference. The fact that all of the teams in our division are competitive makes is hard to put together a long string of wins.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Part of the problem is that there are six teams in the central with 50 or more points, which is the same as for the entire Eastern Conference. The fact that all of the teams in our division are competitive makes is hard to put together a long string of wins.

The Metro is in the same boat as the Central and has 1 more team. The Atlantic and Pacific are just weak divisions that have all of the bottom feeders (AZ, Buf, EDM, Fla).

Steady earning of standings points is what's needed. The old Detroit model of getting 6p every 5 games; or as BB says, "just win the week." Don't get me wrong another 13 game win streak would be nice. But I'll settle for any record that gets 46+ standings points the last 37 games of the season (23-14-0 to 10-1-26).

Max possible points for each team: (I like this because it eliminates the games in hand aspect of the standings)
Central:
-Preds: 136
-Jets: 131
-Avs: 129
-Blues: 127
-Stars: 127
-Hawks: 126
-Wild: 126

Pacific:
-Vegas: 141
-SJ: 134
-LA: 131
-Flames: 128
-Ducks: 125
-Nuks: 116
-EDM: 115
-AZ: 101

maxxum11

May 6, 2016
Finland
Max possible points for each team: (I like this because it eliminates the games in hand aspect of the standings)

It doesn't eliminate it though. For example Colorado has played 3 games less than the Wild. If you count it like that you automatically assume that Avs will win all the 3 games that they have in hand. Counting the points that way favors the teams that have played less games.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
JT Brown would have been a nice waiver pick up. Considering the price Fletch paid to get a grinder like Ryan White last deadline, Brown is younger and better and of course a Minnesota guy.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wow, the Central is so close from top to bottom. The games in hand make it look a little more spread out, but it's anyone's division in theory.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wow, the Central is so close from top to bottom. The games in hand make it look a little more spread out, but it's anyone's division in theory.

Yea. The Wild will go into their bye week in a Playoff spot (no matter what they do today). I don't know if they'll be there when they play Tampa next week.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
30 games left in the season. Here's the max points list for the West (because I wanna):

Central:
Preds: 133
Jets: 129
Avs: 124
Blues: 123
Stars: 122
Wild: 121
Hawks: 116

Pacific:
Vegas: 134
SJ: 124
LA: 121
Flames: 120
Ducks: 118
EDM: 112
Nuks: 108
AZ: 93

Since the time I did this (~3 weeks ago):
- Wild have have stayed right with the teams ahead of them in the Central
- Improved on the Hawks
- Improved overall in the West from tied for 10th to tied for 8th

The schedule is favorable for the rest of the month.
- 7 home games: AZ, Hawks, NYR, Caps, Ducks, SJ, Blues
- 4 away games: Blues, NYI, NJ, NYR (nice little 3 game road trip to NY without much travel between games)
- 1 back-to-back NJ/NYR (both away)

The Wild are on a 96p pace right now. Have an even split of 15 home and 15 away games left the rest of the year.
9 Divisional games left:
-2 more against: Avs, Blues, Preds, and Stars
- 1 more against Hawks
- 0 against Jets

18-11-1 (37p) the rest of the way would put them at my arbitrary 98p to make the Playoffs mark. A 6-3-1 record every 10 games chunk would give them 100p.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is talent here, but they are a pretty uninspiring bunch. I am really tired of seeing Ennis up on Staal's line, when he in no way deserves that time, and is dragging down our best forward.

Parise's contract is making Mauer's look good.

I said I was going to wait till mid-late January before making judgement on this team, but have now pushed that back to mid February. I guess I am waiting for Cullen to show something, and for Nino to get right. Don't see any other player making a drastic improvement. Maybe points out of Ek? Olofsson has slowly looked better, but not expecting great things from him.

Our only hope is for a player like Kunin to come up and add some kick to our bottom six. Can't expect much more out of Granlund, Zucker, Staal, or the top 4 dmen.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
To answer the question - it depends. Are you asking after a home game, or after a road game? :sarcasm:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
In 11 games after Christmas, Kunin has 7 points (3+4) and 23 shots. That's pretty good, though he just went a bit over a month without scoring a goal there.

I'd prefer keeping him in Iowa just because it seems like a better place for him to develop right now, but considering getting rid of contracts should be the main priority at the deadline and that might include some NHLers too (Stewart?), maybe he's called up at some point. And of course injuries could always happen too. Other player who could jump in is Greenway, though it's difficult to say what kind of impact he'd make at the NHL level. Most likely not a huge one.

There's not going to be any saviors out there for this spring. Top teams in Central are just too good. However if they draw Vegas in the first round, 2nd round could be possible.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There's not going to be any saviors out there for this spring. Top teams in Central are just too good. However if they draw Vegas in the first round, 2nd round could be possible.

Every year they've been a Wild Card team I've wanted them to play against the Pacific, this year is no different. The travel sucks, but they matchup well against the West Coast teams.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh, Kunin and Greenway are massive longshots, no doubt. Just grasping at straws. As presently constructed, I don't see this group going far in the playoffs, if they actually get there.

With re-signing Koivu to another couple of years, Fletcher has signaled that he wants to stay the course, and that he thinks he has the talent in the room to win a Cup. I hope he's right, but if something doesn't happen this year then we are only going to be a year older next year, not better.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
In 11 games after Christmas, Kunin has 7 points (3+4) and 23 shots. That's pretty good, though he just went a bit over a month without scoring a goal there.

I'd prefer keeping him in Iowa just because it seems like a better place for him to develop right now, but considering getting rid of contracts should be the main priority at the deadline and that might include some NHLers too (Stewart?), maybe he's called up at some point. And of course injuries could always happen too. Other player who could jump in is Greenway, though it's difficult to say what kind of impact he'd make at the NHL level. Most likely not a huge one.

7 points and 23 shots in 11 games is not impressive in the AHL.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
7 points and 23 shots in 11 games is not impressive in the AHL.
It's not bad. But you're right, it's not overly impressive either. Who was the last player who lit it up down there (PPG+) for Iowa/Houston?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not bad. But you're right, it's not overly impressive either. Who was the last player who lit it up down there (PPG+) for Iowa/Houston?
The shots are the bigger concern IMO. A guy that is supposed to be a shoot first player should be getting a lot more than 2 shots a game in the AHL.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Looks like he was close.
The shots are the bigger concern IMO. A guy that is supposed to be a shoot first player should be getting a lot more than 2 shots a game in the AHL.
I agree, I actually almost posted the exact comment about the SOG stat.

I was curious on who the last high-scoring players were for Iowa/Houston, and it looks like Haula had 27 in 31 games, otherwise Granlund, Zucker and Fontaine were all .88 PPG+ in '12-'13 for Houston. Schroeder had a few good seasons down there. Anas is at 37 points in 40 games this year. Pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad