Will the Schneider be the starting goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Clemmensen and Hedberg, the only two back ups who played considerable time in the past 10 years, certainly didn't have problems behind our defense. Kevin Weekes didn't have a problem with it either.

I'm guessing the anonymous "ex-Devils goaltender" is Mike McKenna still butthurt that Lou made him delete his Twitter.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm pretty sure it happened 2 games in a row another time in 10-11 too. It was when Marty told the coaches he thinks he should take some time off and let Hedberg start. One was that home game against the Wild. Think the other one was at home too and against either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Marty was back in after them.

Those weren't actually puckhandling gaffes per se...just pucks that bounced off the boards funny and he got caught out of the net. I remember being at the Philly game and saying 'well at least I missed the stupid goal at the end of the Minnesota game', and of course minutes later anoter similarly stupid goal happens and I was like 'I can't believe this ****' :shakehead Both plays happened in the span of a week too.

Betamax*

Clemmensen and Hedberg, the only two back ups who played considerable time in the past 10 years, certainly didn't have problems behind our defense. Kevin Weekes didn't have a problem with it either.

I'm guessing the anonymous "ex-Devils goaltender" is Mike McKenna still butthurt that Lou made him delete his Twitter.

I think what Kevin Woodley was getting at was that there will be a period of adjustment for Schneider if they don't tailor the way the players' position themselves that he's been use to. i.e. The system the NJD with Marty in net is different that what is employed with other teams like the Canucks use. You could probably contact Kevin Woodley via twitter for a more detailed explanation on the differences as I don't follow the minutia and intricacies of goaltending like he does.

Anyway, I looked at the game log on Hedberg when he first played games for the NJD in 2010/11 and he didn't do too well but got better as the season progressed:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/1142/year/2011/johan-hedberg

IMO, right now, I personally believe Schneider is a Top 5 goalie, with only two where I would rate as better at this point in time(Quick, Lundqvist). He's in the mix with a group of others like Rinne, Rask in that Top five.

I think Schneider over the next few years has a pretty good chance to be the best goalie in the World.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think what Kevin Woodley was getting at was that there will be a period of adjustment for Schneider if they don't tailor the way the players' position themselves that he's been use to. i.e. The system the NJD with Marty in net is different that what is employed with other teams like the Canucks use. You could probably contact Kevin Woodley via twitter for a more detailed explanation on the differences as I don't follow the minutia and intricacies of goaltending like he does.

Anyway, I looked at the game log on Hedberg when he first played games for the NJD in 2010/11 and he didn't do too well but got better as the season progressed:

IMO, right now, I personally believe Schneider is a Top 5 goalie, with only two where I would rate as better at this point in time(Quick, Lundqvist). He's in the mix with a group of others like Rinne, Rask in that Top five.

I think Schneider over the next few years has a pretty good chance to be the best goalie in the World.

Hedberg and Brodeur were both bad in early 10-11 and got better halfway through the season. That was the worst half season I think we've ever had. Hedberg was a great backup for us, probably my favorite in the last 15 years. When he had to start more than a few games in a row, he was bad and looked worse than most any goalie.

I'm not sure we'll have to adjust too much. Cory obviously won't be playing the puck like Marty. I think it will be alright.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

It didn't really go well for Marty either. That team was garbage. We were getting shelled on a nightly basis no matter who was in net. We were 9-29-2 at one point in that season.

I'm sure there will be an adjustment period but no more than any other goaltender switching teams.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York

Clemmer has dissed the Devils since his departure, is not too fond of Pete DeBoer and is a bit of a loudmouth, so my money is on him as a disgruntled former NJ goalie talking trash.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clemmer has dissed the Devils since his departure, is not too fond of Pete DeBoer and is a bit of a loudmouth, so my money is on him as a disgruntled former NJ goalie talking trash.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised. **** that beer league level trash goalie anyway. Has an ego larger than all ex Devils goalies combined. Still am thanking him for his brutal goaltending helping us get past Florida two years ago, and his coaches **** for brains decision to actually put him in over Theodore.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't understand why though - those 50 games in 2009 were the pinnacle of his career.

Which is mostly the reason for the chip on the shoulder, better than everyone attitude.

Could have been Mike Mckenna though. That guy was a real D bag. Didn't he also speak out against Pelley and Fraser being traded, and how the organization sucks because it didn't give the two minor leaguers a chance, despite both having been on the team 3 years+ each and neither doing anything?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't he upset he was the one who got sent down after Marty came back?

Yeah he was. At the time I kinda felt bad for him too. He clearly outplayed Weekes as well. Weekes is another one I don't care for. From all that stuff he said a couple years ago about how Marty needed to increase his pads, and learn to play butterfly cause he's been declining for at least 5 years. That guy has an awful lot to say for a goalie that will be more remembered for being Brodeur and Lundqvist's backup, than anything he ever did in his career.

Honestly though I don't think he was the one who said this. Has to be Clemmensen or Mckenna. Don't really think it's Yann Danis either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's probably Clemmensen, doubt the interviewer really knows who McKenna and his 2 GP even is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I bet Lou brings Clemmensen back next year to play in the AHL for Albany. Especially if Marty retires and one of Kinkaid/Wedgewood come up to back up The Schneider. His NHL career is likely done after this season, definitely if it's as bad as last. There are better goalies right now out of a job like Theodore who Clemmensen used to back up. Kinda like how Lou brought Pelley back into the organization when nobody wanted him.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah he was. At the time I kinda felt bad for him too. He clearly outplayed Weekes as well. Weekes is another one I don't care for. From all that stuff he said a couple years ago about how Marty needed to increase his pads, and learn to play butterfly cause he's been declining for at least 5 years. That guy has an awful lot to say for a goalie that will be more remembered for being Brodeur and Lundqvist's backup, than anything he ever did in his career.

Honestly though I don't think he was the one who said this. Has to be Clemmensen or Mckenna. Don't really think it's Yann Danis either.

I'm not even sure Yann Danis can talk.

Mory Schneideur*

Marty's puck handling is one of the aspects that went so well with the defensive/trapping system, and it still works in this current system as well. I would even say his puck handling plays a big part in cutting down on time in our own end. You'll probably see a couple more shots against per game with Schneider in there, then you would with Marty in there.

I can't remember a Devils team that spent as much time in the offensive zone other than the Deboer and Sutter coached teams. You would see some cycling with the Devils teams of the past, but I don't remember nearly as much time spent in the other teams zone. It's like the offensive zone trap pretty much. Or defensive zone trap from the other teams perspective.

I do think Zach fit in very well with this style of play. Brian Gionta would fit in very well with it too if we would have kept him.

You can see the Devils play very differently in their own end with Brodeur in net and with someone else in net. It's been like that for at least 10 years. I have a feeling we will see this as well with Schneider/Brodeur, however I feel that Schneids was brought in to in a sense be mentored by Brodeur and the staff to tweak his game a bit, learn, become better and fit into the Devils system better than previous backups. I say backup when referring to Schneids but we all know this will be a transition where he will take over within 2 seasons roughly. By then he should be comletely accustomed to the Marty/Devils style we built the franchise around enough where he will comfortable to play it and the team will be comfortable with him as they would be with Marty in net.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm okay with him not playing the puck. Better than leaving his net and getting in trouble like Moose. Plenty of good goalies in the league that can't play the puck. Jonathan Quick is one of the worst in the league when it comes to handling the puck.

Mory Schneideur*

I'm okay with him not playing the puck. Better than leaving his net and getting in trouble like Moose. Plenty of good goalies in the league that can't play the puck. Jonathan Quick is one of the worst in the league when it comes to handling the puck.

I'm olay with that too, it just seems sometimes like the Devils system in their own end is so based upon awesome puckhandling on the behalf of Brodeur that they seem to make uncomfortable adjustments when someone who is terribad at puck skills like Hedberg plays.

I think the team & Marty will help Schnieds in this area and keep the transition and flow of the system smooth.

Betamax*

Hedberg and Brodeur were both bad in early 10-11 and got better halfway through the season. That was the worst half season I think we've ever had. Hedberg was a great backup for us, probably my favorite in the last 15 years. When he had to start more than a few games in a row, he was bad and looked worse than most any goalie.

I'm not sure we'll have to adjust too much. Cory obviously won't be playing the puck like Marty. I think it will be alright.

You can see the Devils play very differently in their own end with Brodeur in net and with someone else in net. It's been like that for at least 10 years. I have a feeling we will see this as well with Schneider/Brodeur, however I feel that Schneids was brought in to in a sense be mentored by Brodeur and the staff to tweak his game a bit, learn, become better and fit into the Devils system better than previous backups. I say backup when referring to Schneids but we all know this will be a transition where he will take over within 2 seasons roughly. By then he should be comletely accustomed to the Marty/Devils style we built the franchise around enough where he will comfortable to play it and the team will be comfortable with him as they would be with Marty in net.

As per my earlier posts here, this was what I was getting at when it came to Kevin Woodley's comments:

source: https://twitter.com/KevinisInGoal/status/218736967586807809

Question:

Benson H ‏@hawkygoalie

@KevinisInGoal You mention NJD's defensive system specific to Brodeur's style. Are the adjustments also made in the Olympics?

9:03 AM - 29 Jun 12 · Details

Reply:

Kevin Woodley ‏@KevinisInGoal

@hawkygoalie I would argue Devils-like D adjustments weren't made in front of Brodeur at Olympics + look what happened. He's a unique goalie

9:05 AM - 29 Jun 12

As for Marty being a "mentor":

Source: https://twitter.com/KevinisInGoal/status/219469330205786113

Kevin Woodley ‏@KevinisInGoal

Please no more stories about Brodeur mentoring young stoppers. Always great G, but not a "stick with me kid" guy according to ex-Devils Gs

9:35 AM - 1 Jul 12

IMO, Cory Schneider doesn't need any more "mentorship." He needs to be the go to guy, the number one guy on an NHL team. A lot will depend on whether Marty will accept a lessor (back-up) role because I would be pretty much shocked if Schneider isn't the de facto number one Goalie for the Devils by Christmas (or earlier).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The "mentor" thing is overblown - is Marty going to magically bestow upon him ancient knowledge of the forbidden half-butterfly?

Schneider isn't some 19 year old child trying to learn the pro game, he's a 27 year old man who's been in the NHL for years. He doesn't need a mentor.

However, goalies always have camaraderie with each other, and it's ignorant to ignore the fact that Marty knows things that Schneider wants to learn. The best thing Marty can do is teach him how to handle pressure situations and maintain mental focus.

From what I understand Schneider had anxiety issues in Vancouver. Part of that will be alleviated by playing in a less animalistic market. Hopefully Marty can teach Schneider how to be cool under pressure.

NC107*

Marty is still thinking playing beyond this season so he is probably thinking backup role in 15/16. Other than speaking to Schneider on draft day, they haven't spoken, Marty is thinking 50 + starting goalie this season, no backup role for him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Marty is still thinking playing beyond this season so he is probably thinking backup role in 15/16. Other than speaking to Schneider on draft day, they haven't spoken, Marty is thinking 50 + starting goalie this season, no backup role for him.

backup role in 15/16?

He will be like 44 by then, I highly doubt he is still playing...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really doubt Marty plays 50+ games this year, unless Schneider is injured. That or Pete has him in the dog house like some other young guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad