Will the Schneider be the starting goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not concerned at all with isolated starts scattered throughout the year.

But the continuous quarter of the season where he was asked to hold down the fort and allowed 3 or more goals in half of the games he started? Yeah, that's kind of a big deal.

I find it hard to believe that if Cory Schneider played those games we don't get at least 3-4 more wins, which ties the NYI for 8th place.

The is from your own post:

The 10 game losing streak was when Kovalchuk was injured from Mar 25-Apr 18. We played 11 games during that stretch:

1-6-4 (6 points in 11 games)

19 GF (1.72/G)
29 GA (2.63/G)

I honestly want to get on the same page as you, is this not the stretch you wanted him to "hold down the fort"? Not this one? If this one, did you expect him to give up less than 1.72 per game?

Which stretch are you talking about? Can you just give me dates?

Edit: but when you are talking 4 games of a difference why look at various points? Why not look at the total? If the the Devils couldn't score more than 1 goal 14 times this season does looking at 4 or 5 or even 6 games at other points even matter when scoring was obviously THE issue for so many other games?

Last edited:

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Let's say Schneider takes over the starting job and Marty is average or worse. What should PDB do if we go into the final game of the season needing a win to make the playoffs, but it could also be the final game of Marty's career?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Let's say Schneider takes over the starting job and Marty is average or worse. What should PDB do if we go into the final game of the season needing a win to make the playoffs, but it could also be the final game of Marty's career?

if it gets to that point, we're ****ed anyway

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

he's right, we're boned either way but no, you start the goalie that can best give you the win - especially when it's a do or die to make the playoffs.

DevilChuk*

Well if Schneider wins, we make the playoffs and I'm pretty sure it would be his show.

I love Marty and don't want to see him leave in anything but the most glorious fashion but we're fans. We gotta hope that team management knows when to cut the cord.

As much as it will hurt.. Marty's gonna be replaced eventually. I'd rather that be sooner than later if it means a better team.

Betamax*

Well if Schneider wins, we make the playoffs and I'm pretty sure it would be his show.

I love Marty and don't want to see him leave in anything but the most glorious fashion but we're fans. We gotta hope that team management knows when to cut the cord.

As much as it will hurt.. Marty's gonna be replaced eventually. I'd rather that be sooner than later if it means a better team.

I'm coming from a Vancouver Perspective here and say based from what I've seen of his development here, Schneider will sooner, rather than later be the Devils' number one goalie. I think as a courtesy they are saying he will be sharing the net with Marty from the beginning, but Schneider was so good during his time with Vancouver that he overtook the former face of the franchise and former Captain, Roberto Luongo (who at this point in his career is a better goalie than Marty).

Would Marty be okay with being a back-up, something he's never done in his career? Or do you think he'll ask to be traded?

IIRC, the Devils play a defensive style that is tailored towards Marty's "hybrid" goaltending style versus what a "butterfly" style goalie like Schneider plays. So it might be in the team's long-term interest to cut the cord and get asset(s) in return for Marty especially if he's going to be unhappy being a "back-up" in his final season in the NHL.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm coming from a Vancouver Perspective here and say based from what I've seen of his development here, Schneider will sooner, rather than later be the Devils' number one goalie. I think as a courtesy they are saying he will be sharing the net with Marty from the beginning, but Schneider was so good during his time with Vancouver that he overtook the former face of the franchise and former Captain, Roberto Luongo (who at this point in his career is a better goalie than Marty).

Would Marty be okay with being a back-up, something he's never done in his career? Or do you think he'll ask to be traded?

IIRC, the Devils play a defensive style that is tailored towards Marty's "hybrid" goaltending style versus what a "butterfly" style goalie like Schneider plays. So it might be in the team's long-term interest to cut the cord and get asset(s) in return for Marty especially if he's going to be unhappy being a "back-up" in his final season in the NHL.

We don't play a defensive style anymore. We really haven't in the last 5 or 6 years other than a season and a half under Lemaire.

I doubt Marty will wanna be traded. No reason to trade him at all. He'll be okay backing up Schneider IMO if Schneider shows he gives the team a better chance to win.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty probably has very little value anyway at this point. After a good (for the most part) 11-12 and playoffs, a couple teams were willing to throw all kinds of money at him. Not anymore I wouldn't think.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

I think hes gonna be pissed. enough to turn his back on NJ after this trade which basically slaps him in the face and robs him of the starter spot he knows he deserves. He absolutely will request a trade and its only right that Lou Lams obliges, to salvage whats left of a civil relationship between Marty and NJ.

lol are you serious bro, Marty will never leave NJ as long as he is physically capable of standing in a net. Any notion of a trade is absurd

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Have one of the Sedin's taken over Linden as the best player in Franchise history yet?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Marty's gonna have to have a strong October. Let's be honest now, Marty is not known for being particularly great in October ever since the last lockout. He was pretty good in 08-09 before he was injured, but I remember him not looking good for the first half of 05-06 (Long lockout rust, so it's understandable) and I also remember him looking particularly bad for the first month of 07-08.

Now last year he looked really good to start the season. I'm wondering if this was because he was in January shape, despite not playing any real games since the prior June. He was training and having scrimmages with other Devils since September or October though.

I also remember Marty saying he does not skate in the offseason, though I wouldn't be surprised if this has changed since he's gotten older. To play at his age you usually need to start your training earlier than the younger guys.

Betamax*

We don't play a defensive style anymore. We really haven't in the last 5 or 6 years other than a season and a half under Lemaire.

I doubt Marty will wanna be traded. No reason to trade him at all. He'll be okay backing up Schneider IMO if Schneider shows he gives the team a better chance to win.

They won't trade Broduer. sorry

We don't play a defensive style either. sorry

I'm not talking about the "defensive style" per se, but how your defensive strategies are tailored to suit the "hybrid" style that Marty Brodeur employs.

It was a point, I've heard re-iterated many times by Hockey Writer, Kevin Woodley.

His bio: "Now covering Canucks for NHL.com after 10+ years with AP, USA Today + Hockey News; still stopping pucks for fun & picking NHL goalie brains for InGoal Magazine"

He is a regular on our local sports radio station (TEAM 1040) and re-iterated comments similar to this tweet, which I will include below when it comes to the adjustments butterfly goalies have to do, vis-a-vis NJD defensive system they employ to accommodate Marty's unique goalie style:

source: https://twitter.com/KevinisInGoal/status/351438659666460672

Kevin Woodley ‏@KevinisInGoal

Schneider goes from Lu to Marty spotlight + to place that wants G to play like Brodeur. As 1 ex-Devils butterfly G said: "welcome to hell"

1:34 PM - 30 Jun 13

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
That's funny, it's been like two decades since there's been another goalie on the roster that didn't absolutely suck. It's been hell for the Clemmensens and the Danis's of the world wherever they're playing. Getting a guy like Schneider isn't the same as signing Weekes (who I would bet have us that quote) and asking him to fit in the established team style. Theres a difference when it's a guy playing 10 games a year as opposed to 50.

Also, anyone who doesn't think the Devils don't play a "defensive style" is kidding themselves. There's a reason they allow such fewer shots than any other team in the league, and it isn't just the biased scorekeeper.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The point about wanting goalies to play like Marty is true...or at least it is under the DeBoer system. Hedberg completely screwed up his game multiple times trying to over-puck handle.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Why do I get the feeling that that clown Mike McKenna said that? Didn't he run his mouth after he was sent packing?

Anyway, that's the first I've ever heard of Lou or whoever wanting Marty's replacement or backup to play his style. Twitter strikes again.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
The point about wanting goalies to play like Marty is true...or at least it is under the DeBoer system. Hedberg completely screwed up his game multiple times trying to over-puck handle.

I thought it meant to play or mimic Brodeur's hybrid style or something close to. I don't know why they would basically sabotage themselves by telling goalies who treat the puck like a grenade to turn into a puckmover.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So wait , seeing fewer shots and having a defensive style team in front of you is bad for a butterfly goalie but not a hybrid style goalie?

I thought a save% is universal? I thought a .927% is the same for New Jersey, Vancouver, Columbus or Boston...No?

Where we going with this?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's funny, it's been like two decades since there's been another goalie on the roster that didn't absolutely suck. It's been hell for the Clemmensens and the Danis's of the world wherever they're playing. Getting a guy like Schneider isn't the same as signing Weekes (who I would bet have us that quote) and asking him to fit in the established team style. Theres a difference when it's a guy playing 10 games a year as opposed to 50.

Also, anyone who doesn't think the Devils don't play a "defensive style" is kidding themselves. There's a reason they allow such fewer shots than any other team in the league, and it isn't just the biased scorekeeper.
Wouldn't you agree that the reason for such low shots against has something to do with spending a lot of time in the offensive zone? Those games when we were outshooting teams 34-10 and losing, the game seemed to be played 85%-90% outside of our zone. A lot of our defense I think comes from the way we play offense.

The heavy forechecking system also can cause odd man rushes. Nothing you can really do about it though. It's the price you pay to play that kinda system.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

Schneider is probably worse at handling the puck than Hedberg is.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
The devils are still very much a team that places high emphasis on taking care of your own end, but the team is absolutely employing a high energy aggressive forechecking system that forces other teams dmen to make quick decisions with the puck or they'll be eaten alive. They will not be sitting back, they'll be trying to forecheck the other team and force turnovers deep/establishing the cycle and wearing them down.

Which is basically everything Parise was good at. His decision will haunt him and the devils for years to come. He won't touch 70 pts again. This system is absolutely perfect for his style.

Not to open old wounds, but he comes To mind every time I think of this system being executed at its finest..

Once Schenider inevitably takes over there's going to be a big adjustment period due to how bad he is at handling the puck. The breakouts will never be the same again...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty's puck handling is one of the aspects that went so well with the defensive/trapping system, and it still works in this current system as well. I would even say his puck handling plays a big part in cutting down on time in our own end. You'll probably see a couple more shots against per game with Schneider in there, then you would with Marty in there.

I can't remember a Devils team that spent as much time in the offensive zone other than the Deboer and Sutter coached teams. You would see some cycling with the Devils teams of the past, but I don't remember nearly as much time spent in the other teams zone. It's like the offensive zone trap pretty much. Or defensive zone trap from the other teams perspective.

I do think Zach fit in very well with this style of play. Brian Gionta would fit in very well with it too if we would have kept him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I thought it meant to play or mimic Brodeur's hybrid style or something close to. I don't know why they would basically sabotage themselves by telling goalies who treat the puck like a grenade to turn into a puckmover.

They did with Hedberg, or at least Hedberg tried to be Marty-like with puckhandling, with disasterous results - particularly this year. I don't remember him being quite as 'adventerous' two years ago though, but he wasn't playing every day like he was last year either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They did with Hedberg, or at least Hedberg tried to be Marty-like with puckhandling, with disasterous results - particularly this year. I don't remember him being quite as 'adventerous' two years ago though, but he wasn't playing every day like he was last year either.
I remember a couple gaffe's in 11-12. One was against Boston, but I really don't remember quite as many in 11-12 as last year.

There were a few in 10-11 too. Including Hedberg's regular season debut when he came on for relief for Marty in the 3rd. Had a nice assist on a shorthanded goal by Washington. Passed it right to the Caps guy.:laugh:

I'm pretty sure it happened 2 games in a row another time in 10-11 too. It was when Marty told the coaches he thinks he should take some time off and let Hedberg start. One was that home game against the Wild. Think the other one was at home too and against either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Marty was back in after them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad